DRZ400E brake light options

I picked up a 2004 DRZ400E recently and am looking for some brake light options. This model E has a battery and E start (no kick). While I may add blinkers and some other road gear later the first thing I would like to get sorted would be adding a functional brake light.

Currently I am not real keen for whatever reason (unless folks here strongly recommend it) on using a banjo pressure switch. I am thinking about getting an S or SM model rear brake lever and the little oem switch and wiring this up. However I have also seen on amazon where tusk has a complete street setup for the Drz400e model and it's not that pricey considering all you get, but I don't think that mentions that it comes with brake actuation switches/gear. I know many folks have been down this road so any guidance is appreciated.

Thank you

Fwiw, I used the bango style and although it works fine, and is inexpensive, I had to replace one already (maybe 30 rides on the first one). Also, I had to make a mount for the MC and modify the protection cover. I don't know how the S/SM switch would install (haven't seen one). Would be interested in hearing (and seeing a pic) of one that has been fitted.

Here's what mine looks like; the cover plate is notched and doesn't fully cover the MC (because of the bracket I had to make). The bracket extends the MC back so the Bango switch fits. Maybe some brands fit better and the bracket isn't necessary.

IMG_1496375948.489168.jpg

- Geoff

• Like 1

Samaracart: did you have to make a bracket or mods like I did to get it to fit around the MC or protection plate like I did?

I didn't have to do anything special but it could because I'm using a master cylinder off a crf450. I did run the wires through some extra fuel line I had lying around for more protection. 

20160627_181456.jpg

20160627_181515.jpg

• Like 1

Are you only looking for rear light options? Banjos would probably fit in fine at the front master cylinder. 

I have an SM and was considering ripping off my rear light. Seems useless to have broth front and rear, and it gets stuck sometimes. If I'm braking I'm always going to be using the front as well. Maybe not in the dirt, but it wouldn't really matter.

• Like 1

If you plan to do a lot of dirt riding then I recommend building a custom rear plate and light bracket for that especially tough roost.  I've had good luck with the setup below on the E, which is just some bolted on bent pieces of metal that moves back and forth if hit hard.  It will last you a lot longer and cost a lot less than recycling something from the S/SM.

IMG_1569.jpg

Thank you for the information everyone!

As mentioned above the banjo pressure switch on the rear definitely has some fitment issues. It looks to me that by the time you space the reservoir over (or up) the placement can get quite close to the exhaust which is not good. I don't mind getting a rear foot brake lever and switch from an S or SM model but I haven't looked close enough to see how the little switch is mounted on those bikes to see if the switch can mount the same on the E model.

Also as Hans mentioned I may just put a pressure switch on the front brake for now.

My rear fender is a UFO, and it came with the mudflap and light.

20160615_153808_001.thumb.jpg.919a3917a5edabc112f60858da9c4183.jpg

Does this brake light that comes with the fender have 3 wires (to actually function as a brake light), or is it just a two wire (always on) running light?

Thank you

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sbmon said:

Does this brake light that comes with the fender have 3 wires (to actually function as a brake light), or is it just a two wire (always on) running light?

Thank you

It's a dual filament fixture. I put a diode bulb in it so I could seal it shut with silicone glue.

• Like 1

Good info!
Looks like from the picture you posted the light also has an integrated white plate light.