Sign in to follow this  

Air box wash cover won't fit

I bought a KTM wash cover for my 17 300 xc and can't get it to fit. I put the pin in the back hole and the front is still 1/4" away from lining up when I am pushing down quite hard. Anyone else have this problem or am I doing something wrong? IMG_3981.JPGIMG_3980.JPG

Personally I feel these things are junk. Not surprised it doesn't fit. I would be hesitant using one in fear of getting h20 in the carb. I place a "slightly" damp paper towel in the opening, folded in a square shape. This will catch any accidental debris from entering the boot. Just my .02

I used them (twin air) on my crf250r and my 250fx and they have always worked great for me. Maybe its just the KTM one, might be better off with a Twin Air wash cover.

I have the exact same problem and mentioned it to my dealer yesterday. He said to bring it back because he said there is an updated one and he wonders if that's why. I was pissed and was afraid I was gonna break the front strap and quit 

I have the exact same problem and mentioned it to my dealer yesterday. He said to bring it back because he said there is an updated one and he wonders if that's why. I was pissed and was afraid I was gonna break the front strap and quit 

Yeah there is no way this one is latching without breaking the strap.

Any updates on this.  I just bought one and have the same issue.  Same part number shown in the posted pic.  How is this cover still in circulation!?

I have the same cover. It is a little tricky to get it to fit. The weird shape of the mating surface makes it hard to get it in the correct orientation. Just make sure there is grease for the seal and push, wiggle, rotate  until it is close enough to latch. It makes a nice tight seal once installed. Hopefully the new updated one fits easier. 

I ended up bending the tab on the cover down enough so I can muscle it on there. Do you guys recommend another wash cover that fits better ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

I ended up bending the tab on the cover down enough so I can muscle it on there. Do you guys recommend another wash cover that fits better ?

I contacted the vendor I purchased it from and they were surprised to hear it didn't fit.  I can't imagine I'm the first to contact them about it (there are several others online that have complained).  I sent them a side-by-side image for comparison.  The locating pins on the cover are at least 1/4" off from those on the stock air filter screen, which is why it won't fit.  I just emailed Twin Air and will post back once I get a response.

I have the blue Husky version (dealer was out of the orange KTM version when I got it) and it fits great.  It is a snug fit, very snug, it seals perfectly and I have no hesitation spraying it down with a pressure washer and have not had any water get by.  If you lay it on a counter you will see the cover sealing surface is not flat, you need to press down on the on the center of the cover to make it flex into the correct shape. The shape is likely such to get sufficient contact pressure on the corners.  On the bike, put some pressure on the center of the cover to flatten it out and the pin should aligning with the tab.  

IMO the OEM KTM/Husky wash cover is significantly better than the Twin Air design. 

Edited by crawfishoo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crawfishoo said:

I have the blue Husky version (dealer was out of the orange KTM version when I got it) and it fits great.  It is a snug fit, very snug, it seals perfectly and I have no hesitation spraying it down with a pressure washer and have not had any water get by.  If you lay it on a counter you will see the cover sealing surface is not flat, you need to press down on the on the center of the cover to make it flex into the correct shape. The shape is likely such to get sufficient contact pressure on the corners.  On the bike, put some pressure on the center of the cover to flatten it out and the pin should aligning with the tab.  

IMO the OEM KTM/Husky wash cover is significantly better than the Twin Air design. 

I pushed hard and it still doesn't line up.  The simple fact that the pins are offset at least 1/4" more (I measured nearly 3/8") than the factory air filter support leads me to believe it doesn't fit.  Nonetheless, I'll try again this evening when I get home.

Where can I get the OEM wash cover?

I was just thinking, I could simply buy a second air filter support/frame, waterproof the screen, and use that as an exact fit wash cover.  They are only $17.

9 hours ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

Mine is the twin air cover, but I had to bend the tab too, pretty easy to do and it fits nice and snug. Im guessing the KTM one is just a rebranded twin air. Im also running the PC racing air filter gasket so it probably made the fit a little tighter, but I get a great seal. 

On 1/8/2020 at 7:21 PM, Chevy_97 said:

Mine is the twin air cover, but I had to bend the tab too, pretty easy to do and it fits nice and snug. Im guessing the KTM one is just a rebranded twin air.

The Twin Air and OEM KTM cover are not the same.  The KTM Powerparts version has a perfect fitment and is substantially thicker than the Twin Air version.  If your dealer has the Twin Air version, ask them to order a KTM Powerparts one for comparison. The KTM wash cover has a wide in-molded rubber seal with double lips,  the Twin Air has a stand alone seal that sits inside a groove.  Plus the KTM one is half the cost of the Twin Air, should be $13-15 at most dealers. 

KTM PN: 7900699810004

Husky PN: 25006998100H1

image.png.1b61ffbfd9e2fb86ad6579d751beea3a.png

Edited by crawfishoo
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, crawfishoo said:

The Twin Air and OEM KTM cover are not the same.  The KTM Powerparts version has a perfect fitment and is substantially thicker than the Twin Air version.  If your dealer has the Twin Air version, ask them to order a KTM Powerparts one for comparison. The KTM wash cover has a wide in-molded rubber seal with three lips,  the Twin Air has a stand alone seal that sits inside a groove.  Plus the KTM one is half the cost of the Twin Air, should be $13-15 at most dealers. 

KTM PN: 7900699810004

Husky PN: 25006998100H1

image.png.1b61ffbfd9e2fb86ad6579d751beea3a.png

My mistake.  I did get the KTM cover, and it does not fit.  Not sure where the Twin Air confusion came into play.

Edited by mossman77

The pins on the wash cover should be offset when compared to the filter cage.  There is a few mm gap between the filter cage and the airboot to account for the thickness of the air filter foam.  If you install the cage without a filter it will not fit tight against the boot. 

I measured mine and the wash cover pins are ~5-6mm offset when compared to a filter cage.  This seems to be reasonable, the filter cage should not be tight against the airboot, but the wash cover needs to be tight enough to seal against a pressure washer. 

For sure the cover is tight and it take some force to get it installed.  Maybe try flipping it around and make certain the pin on the top is fully seated.  A replacement latch is only $1, your not out much if you end up breaking a latch getting it installed.  I'm betting with a little extra force it will slip right on.  Hope you get it figured out!  If not, there are probably plenty of local guys with KTMs that would buy it from you. 

Wash Cover 1.jpg

Wash Cover 2.jpg

Wash Cover.jpg

4 hours ago, crawfishoo said:

The pins on the wash cover should be offset when compared to the filter cage.  There is a few mm gap between the filter cage and the airboot to account for the thickness of the air filter foam.  If you install the cage without a filter it will not fit tight against the boot. 

I measured mine and the wash cover pins are ~5-6mm offset when compared to a filter cage.  This seems to be reasonable, the filter cage should not be tight against the airboot, but the wash cover needs to be tight enough to seal against a pressure washer. 

For sure the cover is tight and it take some force to get it installed.  Maybe try flipping it around and make certain the pin on the top is fully seated.  A replacement latch is only $1, your not out much if you end up breaking a latch getting it installed.  I'm betting with a little extra force it will slip right on.  Hope you get it figured out!  If not, there are probably plenty of local guys with KTMs that would buy it from you. 

Wash Cover 1.jpg

Wash Cover 2.jpg

Wash Cover.jpg

I did a side-by-side comparison and saw the same exact thing.  I didn't even think about the additional offset being due to the absence of a the filter foam.  Makes sense now.  I'll try to get it in there again.  Thanks.

I tried again and it fits.  I feel like a dumbass.  Haha.  Just needed to be a little more forceful.  Sorry for the confusion!

• Like 3