Gopro what're you guys using?

Curious on a couple of things. You guys that do have a gopro is it worth it? Can you justify the 300 dollars for the amount of times you ride? Or do you have it more times on the shelf? 

Second question, Which gopro do you guys use? Is the 5 worth it? Or will I be just as happy with one that can record in 1080p?

Third if you use a camera and its not gopro which do you guys recommend? 

I'm thinking about buying one but not sure if I can justify spending 300+ accessories costs. I do a lot of different sports that I'd like to record (dirt biking, hiking, wake boarding, skateboarding, shooting etc)

The GoPro 4 can be had at really good prices now that the 5 is out. Have read quite a few people who traded their 4 in on a new 5, and are wishing they had their Hero 4 back. If you're going to be doing vlogging, external microphones are easier and cheaper on the 4. Have to buy an adapter to use them on the Hero 5. I traded straight from a Hero 3+ to the 5 Black. Have only used it once on a street ride, and the first, biggest thing I like about the 5 Black is the rear screen to see exactly where it's pointing and what you're getting. 1080p 60fps video quality is excellent as you would expect. I did miss the wind noise cancellation feature and with the camera mounted on the bike windscreen, got a lot of howl. Will try that next time and look at setting up some form of POV helmet mount.  Lotta bells, whistles, and settings on it that I'll be experimenting with and trying to understand for a while.

• Like 2

I have a Hero 2 that I've had for years.  Here is the thing; it's a novelty that wears off.  Half the videos I've taken have never been watched.  That said, there are certainly videos I've taken that are worth having it such as my first race win and for some in car race footage as well.  As for the cost, I can say that my old Hero 2 is awesome and I would not spend the money on a Hero 5.  If I were going to buy another one, it would be the session due to the lower cost and the small size.  

• Like 2

I have the wimius 4k but I can't get any of the videos off of it, I think it is a problem with the memory card I used so I will get another memory card and see if that helps. But when I first got it I took a test video in my house and everything worked well, picture and sound are just as clear as I have ever hoped and it's easy to use. Plus it has built in wifi and that is cool for getting it lined up correctly on the helmet and you can download the videos directly to your phone with the app but I would assume that would take quite some time.

Sent from my Z837VL using ThumperTalk mobile app

Image1496361951.642814.jpg money well spent that's for sure. I had the original Hero and bought the session 4 right when it came out...only complaint is they dropped the price in half about month later I should have waited my fault.

I use a garmin Virb XE, it also has telemetry and I can use an external cell phone battery pack that lasts for days.

The way I see it is that I have a terrible memory. Down the road I'd like to see some of the things I've done and places I've been. Especially if I can't do it anymore or like I used to. Wish I had footage of my jumping days... Anyways, it is a pain in the ass to make the videos and if you're like me, 90% of the footage will be buried in hard drives. 

Here is a link to a video that has the telemetry and shows the  (youtube) quality. Also make sure the camera you get has image stabilization...

• Like 4

I've had the Session 4 for awhile and it's good. I cracked the glass on front, but it still works and does what I need it to. Video looks great for how cheap it is, not much howl because I don't go that fast anyways lol. Caught plenty of good crashes and a couple cool moment on it. Well worth the money imo.

Buy one cheap on ebay. They are totally worth it. Even the Gopro 3 is pretty good and you could probably have one for less than $100

• Like 1

7 hours ago, x293x said:

I use a garmin Virb XE, it also has telemetry and I can use an external cell phone battery pack that lasts for days.

The way I see it is that I have a terrible memory. Down the road I'd like to see some of the things I've done and places I've been. Especially if I can't do it anymore or like I used to. Wish I had footage of my jumping days... Anyways, it is a pain in the ass to make the videos and if you're like me, 90% of the footage will be buried in hard drives. 

Here is a link to a video that has the telemetry and shows the  (youtube) quality. Also make sure the camera you get has image stabilization...

Not trying to bash....I hope it just uploaded bad or maybe my computer screen isnt that good???But that video quality looks terrible. The telemetry is pretty sweet though. 

5 hours ago, Dconer1 said:

Not trying to bash....I hope it just uploaded bad or maybe my computer screen isnt that good???But that video quality looks terrible. The telemetry is pretty sweet though. 

Was the quality switched to 1080? I'm not an expert with video and this was one of my first ones a year or so ago so I could have done something wrong. The file on my computer looks great.

Was the quality switched to 1080? I'm not an expert with video and this was one of my first ones a year or so ago so I could have done something wrong. The file on my computer looks great.

It looked good to me....
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, x293x said:

Probably just my computer then. I would def consider getting one of those with the telemetry. But at the same time, I have a gopro that shoots awesome quality and I VERY RARELY ever even look at the videos i shoot. Thats why i dont even bring it with me anymore. 

23 hours ago, x293x said:

That is a beautiful trail! Where is that? How much did that camera run you? 

Curious on a couple of things. You guys that do have a gopro is it worth it? Can you justify the 300 dollars for the amount of times you ride? Or do you have it more times on the shelf? 
Second question, Which gopro do you guys use? Is the 5 worth it? Or will I be just as happy with one that can record in 1080p?
Third if you use a camera and its not gopro which do you guys recommend? 
I'm thinking about buying one but not sure if I can justify spending 300+ accessories costs. I do a lot of different sports that I'd like to record (dirt biking, hiking, wake boarding, skateboarding, shooting etc)

I can answer the first question with a resounding no. I got a GoPro as a present, and I will probably eventually use it for a near space balloon, but for riding.....nope. It works fine and takes nice film, but who cares? I just don't get the appeal of filming trail rides.

I use a GoPro Hero 3 Black still and love it. I record hundreds of hours of footage and have 50+ videos on YouTube. I also enjoy cutting stills out of the footage as I'm making videos which are enjoyed by many including the guys I ride with. I do though put a lot of effort into making the videos, more effort than I maybe should as I haven't had more than a couple thousand views on even the more popular ones. I also use a high end editing software which makes a huge difference. The videos I make are mostly for my own enjoyment though. I would like to try a newer camera with video stabilization and possibly record in more than 1080p but for the most part what I have works fine.

• Like 2

I don't video my rides, or even stop to take photos. 

History, I'm off on the next ride.

Not trashing, just a different perspective from an old fart.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:27 PM, 4Sevens said:

I have a Hero 2 that I've had for years.  Here is the thing; it's a novelty that wears off.  Half the videos I've taken have never been watched.  That said, there are certainly videos I've taken that are worth having it such as my first race win and for some in car race footage as well.  As for the cost, I can say that my old Hero 2 is awesome and I would not spend the money on a Hero 5.  If I were going to buy another one, it would be the session due to the lower cost and the small size.  

the novelty for me hasn't worn off in 4 years. record almost every ride and always watch it.

On 6/1/2017 at 4:27 PM, 4Sevens said:

I have the hero 2 but it started acting weird and not working.  I went to the session and I really like it.  Fits nice under the visor and you dont know its there.  

I shoot video on almost every ride but I agree with you.  I never watch it unless I happen upon something cool.  Plus its a huge memory hog but memory is cheap these days.  I figure someday I can look at it when unable to ride and it might be fun to see it again.  lol