Jump to content

Clutch broken...any advice

Recommended Posts

I have a 2006 Honda CRF450R and when you squeeze the clutch lever it does not snap back. I have attached a picture of the part that I think may be the culprit. The part circled in red is loose and before the clutch stopped working it would snap back like there is a spring in it. Is there a way to fix this without splitting the case? Anyone ever have a similar problem?

clutch cable.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disconnect the cable pull that lever out and check the wear on it

 

Thats the cleanest looking 11 year old 450r ive ever seen  :thumbsup:

CRF.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the cable is binding or extremely dirty. The clutch arm actuates against the pushrod and presses the pressure plate away from the clutch fibers. So unless the springs in the pressure plate all broke its most likely something wrong with the cable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that's actually not a picture of my 2006 CRF450R, though mine is probably about that clean. Any good links to youtube for removing the lever? The clutch pack is fine, I pulled it out, springs are still like new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ThrustWasher said:

Soundslike the cable is binding or extremely dirty. The clutch arm actuates against the pushrod and presses the pressure plate away from the clutch fibers. So unless the springs in the pressure plate all broke its most likely something wrong with the cable.

Good reply. Make sure your clutch play Is right as well. Too much and It won't snap back.

The cable could be frayed Internally.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would highly doubt it is your actuator. I have never heard of one breaking, not to say they can't. Try the cable but I suspect you will need to at least pull the clutch cover and remove the plate and discs and check it all out. Remember you have all those clutch springs trying to force it back so that cable would have to be pretty bad...

Edited by mrmoto35
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mrmoto35 said:

I would highly doubt it is your actuator. I have never heard of one breaking, not to say they can't.

yes but in order to eliminate the possibility of it being the actuator - you would check it anyway

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Midge said:

yes but in order to eliminate the possibility of it being the actuator - you would check it anyway

Absolutely. Once you get the plate off, pull it and see.

I would start by unbolting the cable from the lower bracket. If it comes loose but the actuator remains stuck them move on to the other side and remove the plate and discs and check everything including the actuator.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actuator can be removed without any engine disassembly. Remove cable from arm, then "forked" bracket at top (one 8mm bolt). Lift actuator out.
I would test clutch mechanics by use of 17 or 18mm wrench on arm. Same method used to get slack in cable for removal. This should point you in the the right direction, clutch pack or cable/lever/routing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Actuator can be removed without any engine disassembly. Remove cable from arm, then "forked" bracket at top (one 8mm bolt). Lift actuator out.
I would test clutch mechanics by use of 17 or 18mm wrench on arm. Same method used to get slack in cable for removal. This should point you in the the right direction, clutch pack or cable/lever/routing

It can be removed but you might not be able to get it back in.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the actuator out, it is destroyed, if there is someone who can brake a part that nobody has ever broken it is me. Just looked up the price on Rockymountainatvmc.nope....off to ebay and found it with shipping under $10! Thank you for your help. Now how to put in the new one?

20170605_205118.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/06/2017 at 8:50 AM, mrmoto35 said:

I would highly doubt it is your actuator.

:p

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TE300 said:

I took the actuator out, it is destroyed, if there is someone who can brake a part that nobody has ever broken it is me. Just looked up the price on Rockymountainatvmc.nope....off to ebay and found it with shipping under $10! Thank you for your help. Now how to put in the new one?

20170605_205118.jpg

That appears to be the wrong actuator for your bike. Pushrod working side should be reversed from your "in the bike" pic. If you drop that actuation rod into the bike it cannot push the pushrod against the proper working surface, you can there's no wear on it. That broke because it's the wrong one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eddie8v said:

That appears to be the wrong actuator for your bike. Pushrod working side should be reversed from your "in the bike" pic. If you drop that actuation rod into the bike it cannot push the pushrod against the proper working surface, you can there's no wear on it. That broke because it's the wrong one.

The one I ordered from ebay looks lilke the one I pulled out, they both match the diagram on OEM parts on rockymountainatvmc.com
Why do you think it is the wrong one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks correct to me (by memory). Mine just barely showed some wear where yours appears missing a corner. If there is a piece missing I'd be very set on finding it before it gets into anything. And again as someone else mentioned look at the push rod. I'm no expert, but that seems to be an unusual "break"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×