Measuring oil amount?

Hey guys and gals, I am going to be replacing my fork seals and bushings pretty soon and I'm wondering if I can just measure the amount of oil with a simple measuring tape and get it close enough to the desired amount, because I don't want to spend $20+ for a tool that I will rarely use. I know this is a stupid question but any opinion's are appreciated.

First of all......you need to change the Fork Fluid regularly. At least seasonal if you ride alot.
All you need is a ratio rite cup or a Beaker marked in ml's. I have both but you need just either of the two.
Depending on what bike you have and what the forks are,KYB,Showa,WP ect......

If the forks are stock then all you need to do is find out the stock Fork Fluid cc/ml in the outer tubes.
If you have KYB Forks and the Forks are stock Valving then anywhere from 320cc to 350cc should do.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CaptainKnobby said:

First of all......you need to change the Fork Fluid regularly. At least seasonal if you ride alot.
All you need is a ratio rite cup or a Beaker marked in ml's. I have both but you need just either of the two.
Depending on what bike you have and what the forks are,KYB,Showa,WP ect......

If the forks are stock then all you need to do is find out the stock Fork Fluid cc/ml in the outer tubes.
If you have KYB Forks and the Forks are stock Valving then anywhere from 320cc to 350cc should do.

So the cup will measure cc's ? If so I will go with that. Thanks!

Also my bike is a 2001 Kawasaki kx 125 with stock forks and I'm new to dirt bikes so that's why I don't no now any thing:)

Those forks are measured by bleeding them well by pumping the damper rod 10 times slowly , then wait 10 minute and repeat, then repeat once more, then pull the outer tubes up and back down to get the oil out from between the tubes. Now with the damper rod fully down you measure from the fork edge ( steel rule and flashlight) to the oil level and set it to recommended level in manual

• Like 1

On 6/2/2017 at 1:36 AM, mog said:

Those forks are measured by bleeding them well by pumping the damper rod 10 times slowly , then wait 10 minute and repeat, then repeat once more, then pull the outer tubes up and back down to get the oil out from between the tubes. Now with the damper rod fully down you measure from the fork edge ( steel rule and flashlight) to the oil level and set it to recommended level in manual

So, can I use the measuring cup then? Because I already ordered one.

Nope it's oil height not volume

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mog said:

Nope it's oil height not volume

Dang, well I guess I have a new premix cup. I just thought that I could get it close enough with a measuring tape because I've seen people on YouTube do it. Do you have a recommended brand of a measuring syringe or whatever they are called :)

Measuring tape , even a piece of tube cut to lenght , as long as it's say for example 100mm from the top , it doesn't matter how you achieve it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mog said:

Measuring tape , even a piece of tube cut to lenght , as long as it's say for example 100mm from the top , it doesn't matter how you achieve it

OK , I got kind of mixed up between everyone's different opinions both here and on other threads. So say just a random number like 120mm is recommended. Is that 120mm from the top of the tube to the level of oil? And then if there is to much oil you can then just use a simple syringe to suck the the right amount out?

Thanks for your time!

If you need 120mm oil height, just put a strip of electrical tape on a screwdriver 1200 from the handle. Then dip the screwdriver in the fork until the handle hits the top of the outer tube. 

If there's too much oil all you have to do is pour it out. A serynge would work too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olivier Biron said:

If you need 120mm oil height, just put a strip of electrical tape on a screwdriver 1200 from the handle. Then dip the screwdriver in the fork until the handle hits the top of the outer tube. 

If there's too much oil all you have to do is pour it out. A serynge would work too. 

OK I'll try that! Thanks.