Ruined, own 250x , rode 300xcw

I bought a '17 YZ250x in March. I love it. Great power, great suspension,

Love the tranny and all the cool parts off my old YZ bolt up. Then 2 weekends ago I rode my buddies '17 KTM 300 xcw. I realized I just couldn't live without the electric start and lights. I sheepishly brought up buying a new ride with the wife and surprisingly she was onboard! I'm pumped to say the least. I will post pics in the near future.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dirtbikesonny said:

I bought a '17 YZ250x in March. I love it. Great power, great suspension,

Love the tranny and all the cool parts off my old YZ bolt up. Then 2 weekends ago I rode my buddies '17 KTM 300 xcw. I realized I just couldn't live without the electric start and lights. I sheepishly brought up buying a new ride with the wife and surprisingly she was onboard! I'm pumped to say the least. I will post pics in the near future.

If you need lights I get that, but for estart?  That's a bunch of money lost on something that a gravity feed chubby thigh starts up so easily.

Then there is the suspension.  Depending on how you ride the explr stuff is unreal weak compared to the factory like suspension you get with the X.

For the record my plan is to go with a 18 ktm 250/300 but for the things I really need like lights, the easy ability to put on a fan, lower first gear, SMOOTH motor.  But I have no illusions on the weak suspension, I plan on getting the fork inserts which work pretty well but not likely SSS well.

But if the estart gets you grinning it's hard to argue that.  I ride with guys all the time who get such joy out of hitting that button.  I dont get it but... lol

I did the exact same thing. Sold my YZ250X and won't look back. I like the button and hey it's only money, you can't take it with you. Make yourself happy and have fun out there! 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Sycamore said:

If you need lights I get that, but for estart?  That's a bunch of money lost on something that a gravity feed chubby thigh starts up so easily.

Then there is the suspension.  Depending on how you ride the explr stuff is unreal weak compared to the factory like suspension you get with the X.

For the record my plan is to go with a 18 ktm 250/300 but for the things I really need like lights, the easy ability to put on a fan, lower first gear, SMOOTH motor.  But I have no illusions on the weak suspension, I plan on getting the fork inserts which work pretty well but not likely SSS well.

But if the estart gets you grinning it's hard to argue that.  I ride with guys all the time who get such joy out of hitting that button.  I dont get it but... lol

Yamahas suspension is OVER RATED, No one buys yamahas at europe for enduro, and europe is home of the enduro. No one buys bike for over rated suspension which after all is not more than just good.

I have been wondering why the &%$#@! anyone buys new 2017 yamaha because you get same package when you buy 2006 yamaha for two grands. I mean yamaha customers must be thickest bone heads ever to pay 7-8 grands for a bike which has tchnology of early 2000 motocross bike which after all got 18 rear wheel and kick stand :lol:

Why at europe no one is raving about yamahas great suspension?

• Like 3

Yamahas suspension is OVER RATED, No one buys yamahas at europe for enduro, and europe is home of the enduro. No one buys bike for over rated suspension which after all is not more than just good.
I have been wondering why the &%$#@! anyone buys new 2017 yamaha because you get same package when you buy 2006 yamaha for two grands. I mean yamaha customers must be thickest bone heads ever to pay 7-8 grands for a bike which has tchnology of early 2000 motocross bike which after all got 18 rear wheel and kick stand :lol:

Well here she is! 2017 model with electric start and lights. This baby is gonna mean way more trail time for me!IMG_9206.JPGIMG_9204.JPGIMG_9202.JPG

Sorry , I couldn't resist. I did ride my buddies 300 and it is a nice bike but I can't believe I can buy a new bike and a new riding mower and still be under the price of a new KTM? From what I've seen at the last few events I've entered I'm at no disadvantage to the KTM's either. RIDE BLUE!!!!!!
  • Like 6

Well here she is! 2017 model with electric start and lights. This baby is gonna mean way more trail time for me!IMG_9206.thumb.JPG.13326732274f44f01166b2189526d7b0.JPGIMG_9204.thumb.JPG.1346afb4edf3a7706395ac1508caec32.JPGIMG_9202.thumb.JPG.37d806ee49ba29ec3bc4c2e454ff82b6.JPG

Sorry , I couldn't resist. I did ride my buddies 300 and it is a nice bike but I can't believe I can buy a new bike and a new riding mower and still be under the price of a new KTM? From what I've seen at the last few events I've entered I'm at no disadvantage to the KTM's either. RIDE BLUE!!!!!!

It's like a KTM but with good suspension.

• Like 8

I love, love, love my 2017 300 XC-W. 
The XC has eStart too, but it has a different suspension.

The headlight and taillight make it easier to look like its street legal (I have registration, insurance and plates on mine)
Of course, you are talking about putting money down today for a carbureted 300XCW in August or so

6 hours ago, KTMfinrider said:

Most in the know agree yamaha has and has had the best suspension out there and for YEARS.  So that is a pretty great reason to buy yamaha.  Up until this year a better question might be why anyone would buy a ktm with their horrid suspension.  KTM offers some stuff yammie doesnt have and most dont need but still attracts riders, but they have been trying to play catch up on the stuff that matters for YEARS.

For what it was designed for yammy is a superior bike up to the ktm 16s but still competitive even today.   

4 hours ago, dirtbikesonny said:

Well here she is! 2017 model with electric start and lights. This baby is gonna mean way more trail time for me!IMG_9206.JPGIMG_9204.JPGIMG_9202.JPG

Sorry , I couldn't resist. I did ride my buddies 300 and it is a nice bike but I can't believe I can buy a new bike and a new riding mower and still be under the price of a new KTM? From what I've seen at the last few events I've entered I'm at no disadvantage to the KTM's either. RIDE BLUE!!!!!!emoji38.pngemoji106.pngemoji16.pngemoji12.pngemoji13.png

I have blue and orange and agree with you, plus the yammie is the deal of a century price wise.   KTM is a more versatile bike though if one needs the versatility, most dont though.

2006 yz 250 revalved for woods was best suspension ever.

2008 ktm 450excr was just ok

2009 ktm 250 xc forks were the worst

2015 ktm 200 is pretty crappy

2016 ktm 450 xcw not much better

purchased a beat to sheet 2002 yz 250 for a trail work bike a year ago and with blown fork seals it is still superior to all four of my KTM's. Just telling it like it is, I like the estart and lights on KTM but sheesh.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RollieW said:

2006 yz 250 revalved for woods was best suspension ever.

2008 ktm 450excr was just ok

2009 ktm 250 xc forks were the worst

2015 ktm 200 is pretty crappy

2016 ktm 450 xcw not much better

purchased a beat to sheet 2002 yz 250 for a trail work bike a year ago and with blown fork seals it is still superior to all four of my KTM's. Just telling it like it is, I like the estart and lights on KTM but sheesh.

? Tell me again about how you bought a Yamaha a couple years ago.....then rode a buddies KTM200 , then declared it was the best suspended KTM you ever rode....then you sold said Yamaha within a month, and purchased your current 200. You also said that the 200 suspension was awesome when you first got it......What happened Rollie? SHEESH. I am confused.

Joe

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sycamore said:

Most in the know agree yamaha has and has had the best suspension out there and for YEARS.  So that is a pretty great reason to buy yamaha.  Up until this year a better question might be why anyone would buy a ktm with their horrid suspension.  KTM offers some stuff yammie doesnt have and most dont need but still attracts riders, but they have been trying to play catch up on the stuff that matters for YEARS.

For what it was designed for yammy is a superior bike up to the ktm 16s but still competitive even today.   

Absolutely comical.

Ktm has excellent suspension nowadays except 4cs. 

yamaha doesnt offer nothing else, average motor in all aspects. Shitty gear box for off road, cable clutch, motor not easy to adjust for different kind of riding.

No ready wire harness for lights and all of the other stuff. small gas tank

And what about new 2t ktms? no more vibration due to counter balance shaft.  And it is yet to see what fuel injection brings to the game. 

What does yamaha do? It sells fricking 15 years old bikes for 7-8 grand for their loyal muppets. 

Dont get me totally wrong, yamaha is solid package. Dont fix what isnt broken suits well for yamaha but &%$#@!en hell the bike is out dated.

• Like 6

This is a great thread!  Love the riding mower post, and then the comment "like a ktm with good suspension"---the best!!!!

Seriously though, I don't know how you guys get so worked up over suspension.  Just get a good tuner.  I currently have a PDS KTM SX, an SSS YZ, and a steel frame pre-SSS YZ.  All have be revalved and re-sprung, and all work great in the woods.  I suppose if I actually had to pick a favorite, it would be the pre-SSS YZ, but only by a tiny margin, and probably because that bike was revalved most recently and everything is still fresh.  If you have a competent tuner, they can make your suspension work.  It's not like there is something magic or some special potion that comes in the blue bike forks.  Geez...

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, KTMfinrider said:

Absolutely comical.

Ktm has excellent suspension nowadays except 4cs. 

yamaha doesnt offer nothing else, average motor in all aspects. Shitty gear box for off road, cable clutch, motor not easy to adjust for different kind of riding.

No ready wire harness for lights and all of the other stuff. small gas tank

And what about new 2t ktms? no more vibration due to counter balance shaft.  And it is yet to see what fuel injection brings to the game. 

What does yamaha do? It sells fricking 15 years old bikes for 7-8 grand for their loyal muppets. 

Dont get me totally wrong, yamaha is solid package. Dont fix what isnt broken suits well for yamaha but &%$#@!en hell the bike is out dated.

Absolutely numb to suspension quality.  A noob evidently.

KTM Pre- explr open chamber is good not SSS great, Exlpr very weak and inserts are going in for anyone with skills and money, 4cs dangerous, pre-4cs unpredictable and harsh still better then 4cs.  AER is the first really good fork from ktm.

yammie motor has a stellar somewhat hard motor to adjust.  Cant speak to the 17s but anything prior the yz motor is flat out more fun then a ktm.  However the ktm is a better all day motor.  Gearbox is great for its intended purpose and doesnt have an idle gear taking a chit like the 17s do,  airbox warping, defective carb, wirings being cut in the ignition, and what else? oh yeah that add on estart peice of chit.  nice!  lol

Lights, really?  Almost no one cares about lights.  I do but most dont.

Vibration, or lack thereof is great but it would be nice if ktm didnt have all its issues and making the customer figure it all out,  Yammie is proven and it ought to be after all these years.  KTM owners have been duped for years buying an inferior product with a few shiny trinkets when a yz was available for all those years.  Once ktm fixes things with the 18s ktm will have a better bike but the yammie will still piss off ktm owners by being passed by such an old bike.  lol  Fuel injection gets you nothing but more ktm deficiencies with lots of failure points I've seen first hand.  Only the euronators would force themselves into that rat hole.  

Dont get me wrong I'm buying a new 18 W but I am not blind to ktm lameness.  They make a versatile bike that yamaha isnt even trying to match.  They built a HS/enduro bike and for that purpose it will still give the bucks up ktm puppets fits on the course.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

? Tell me again about how you bought a Yamaha a couple years ago.....then rode a buddies KTM200 , then declared it was the best suspended KTM you ever rode....then you sold said Yamaha within a month, and purchased your current 200. You also said that the 200 suspension was awesome when you first got it......What happened Rollie? SHEESH. I am confused, except when we took a break on the trail and you told me KTM SUSPENSION SUCKS and the only thing better about the bikes were the e-start....... that was really clear that day.

Joe

Me too.

Edited by RollieW
  • Like 1