Yes, I know I can search for threads on cable lube, but have not seen an answer to my question. In reading the applications listed on lube cans (lithium based, "wet" teflon, "dry" teflon), I know that some mention brake cables specifically (lithium) and others mention throttle cables specifically (teflon), but none mention both specifically. I'm guessing this is because for a brake cable you want a product that  is least likely to break down or be washed out for safety reasons, and for a throttle cable you want a product that minimizes friction?

2 hours ago, leadbelly666 said:

Yes, I know I can search for threads on cable lube, but have not seen an answer to my question. In reading the applications listed on lube cans (lithium based, "wet" teflon, "dry" teflon), I know that some mention brake cables specifically (lithium) and others mention throttle cables specifically (teflon), but none mention both specifically. I'm guessing this is because for a brake cable you want a product that  is least likely to break down or be washed out for safety reasons, and for a throttle cable you want a product that minimizes friction?

I can't answer your question precisely, but I think either will work for either application. The bigger question is whether to lube at all. Once you start you have to keep on it. I don't and have one cable failure or hangup of any sort in the last 30 years. It's dry here, that single failure was on a bike that started it's life in Oregon.

I occsionaly lube my cables after 3 or 4 washes with Maxima MPPL cus IMO its not sticky and its designed to displace water and I use a Motion Pro cable lbe toll.

But I generally replace my clutch cable once a year and it is a bitch to do throttle cables but I just did mine after 12 years just cus and IMO the original ones were still fine.

• Like 1