Hey everyone , I have a few basic questions that I have researched a bit but wouldn't mind a second input from anyone that has one.

my bike is 2016 yzf450 60th anv, Before this when I was a teen I rode a 125 among other things such as be narly quads and fast fast skidoos. Im not a new rider just been out of the dirtbike scene for 5 years. so far my upgrades are just:

-aftermarket foot pegs

-renthal intellilever gen 2 unbreakable clutch/ front brake with perch (some how I managed to brake both within the first week but warranty replaced them)

-bark buster jet handgaurds (to not have the levers snap on me again)

-some black engine plugs 

-aftermarket grip seat

and I bought the tuner.

hour meter

so mostly just cosemetic to this point. 

First question is me being 6 foot, 215 can the stock suspension be adjusted properly for me (I ride trails not tracks but do hit the odd jump) or what should I invest in? 

For an aftermarket exhaust what are the few I should have my eyes on?

is a recluse a good option seeing as I do hit the trails 90percent of my riding ? My 450 does want to stall anytime I'm not riding it hard. Or is a heavier fly wheel a better option? Will either one mess with the snappy power ?

I think I just need more seat time but I get insane pump from my bike enough to numb my hand slightly. I'm thinking of changing my grips to some softer ones but is there anything else I could attempt to do to fix this or just get on it and ride more

any other mods and parts I should invest in? Basically have the luck of having the money to really make this bike complete and set up for me just need some guidance.

thanks for the read and any tips or instructions !

IMG_1490.JPG

Edited by Newfie on a yzf

I've got the FMF 4.1 full Ti system on mine (exact same bike as you), I find the arm pump to be the same deal. I also came back to the sport after a long period of time away (always had sleds as well), I think it just stems, for me anyways, the bike has so much power, that I grip it extra tight as I'm worried about it getting away from me unintentionally hahaha. 

The fmf sounds killer, was installed when I bought the bike, so not sure if it added power or not. Looks and sound are a win with it tho. Almost thought of selling it and buying a 300 ktm, but I got it for such a sweet deal, maybe I'll try the flywheel first, then rekluse if the stalling is still an issue in tight stuff. 

Good of luck getting it setup, that power is something else when the revs come up !

• Like 1

Stock suspension is great on these bikes, but get the correct springs for your weight.  Front forks are probably fine, but you need to go up a rate on the rear.  A 5.9 kg/mm rear spring should be in the ball park and run race sag in the 95-100mm range.

Rekluse is a great option, if you are having issues with stalling and riding tight trails.  Auto-clutches are a personal preference, some people love them.

Skip everything else.  No need for an exhaust on this bike, stock unit is very good.

Also, get a new chain if you have not already.  The stock one is junk and will be worn out in no time.

• Like 1

I ride my 15 YZ450f mostly on trails as well.

The stalling issue was taken care of by going up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket.

It seemed to lower the torque on the bottom end. Plus, it made hill climbing a lot easier

• Like 1

Arm pump is from not gripping with your legs.
Spend money on tires, not a pipe, the bike is already very fast for trails.
Recluse isn't necessary if you are in the right gear.
You need a 6.0kg spring, or 6.1, forks springs should be fine.
Best buy for that bike is a pro circuit 143.5 link.

Thanks man ! Got some cash and finally have three days off work starting tmrw so I will be going to the Yamaha shop and getting a few things ordered. And yes I need to get my legs glued to my bike and stop getting lazy and letting them not hug the tank

• Like 1

Thanks man ! Got some cash and finally have three days off work starting tmrw so I will be going to the Yamaha shop and getting a few things ordered. And yes I need to get my legs glued to my bike and stop getting lazy and letting them not hug the tank

I got the x-grip frame guards from acerbis coming, I think something like that could help you use your legs more

So I got in contact  with rg3 suspension and gave them my height weight and what I usually ride which is woods, dirt/sand/mud trails etc and once my suspension is set up I'd go to the track quite a bit. I was quoted (Canadian dollar) 1500ish for full shocks/forks and labor included or I could go without a few extras and get it done for 1150. 1500 includes them taking my suspension apart and putting it back together for a flat rate of 150.

just curious as this is my first time paying for a suspension that is set up for me, is this the average price for such things ? Don't mind paying it just wanna get a second opinion.

IMG_2125.PNG

IMG_2126.PNG

So I got in contact  with rg3 suspension and gave them my height weight and what I usually ride which is woods, dirt/sand/mud trails etc and once my suspension is set up I'd go to the track quite a bit. I was quoted (Canadian dollar) 1500ish for full shocks/forks and labor included or I could go without a few extras and get it done for 1150. 1500 includes them taking my suspension apart and putting it back together for a flat rate of 150.

just curious as this is my first time paying for a suspension that is set up for me, is this the average price for such things ? Don't mind paying it just wanna get a second opinion.
IMG_2125.thumb.PNG.fa73a19cc25feabde6d752111d9deb7e.PNG
IMG_2126.thumb.PNG.3b4c2ee172af9955c285a765e1724822.PNG

Go elsewhere. Find a pro-action, get the gold valves and works piston, 700 bucks and it will be superb.
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 7:24 AM, hondaman331 said:

Arm pump is from not gripping with your legs.

Arm pump is from gripping the bars with your hands, constantly.  Whether you use your legs or not has little to do with the actual problem.  Human muscles are intended to by used cyclically; tension, relax, tension, relax, as your legs naturally do while running, cycling, pretty much anything.  In many (not all) people, when the muscles of the forearm contract, they put enough pressure on the adjacent blood vessels to restrict them partially or even completely, which leads to oxygen and fuel starvation of the muscles served by them, along with waste product build up.  Pain is the result.

The solution is to teach yourself to relax your grip whenever possible, even if it's only for a very few seconds at a time. Whatever you do to enhance your ability to do that, which may include gripping with your legs, getting the suspension worked out, or just becoming more familiar with the bike, will help.

• Like 2