Tappet adjusting tool

Hello fellow thumper riders. This is my first time posting on a forum. I have been reading on hear countless hours and cannot find answer to what size adjustment tool I need for08 crf230. I think the locknut is 10mm, but I don't know what size the square on the adjuster is. I think there is two sizes. I have searched for hours and can't find an answer. I have been riding all my life,but new to crf. 

Thanks for the great web site. I have learned a lot 

thanks Steve

• Like 1

Thanks Chuck but, I want to purchase the single tool and I need to know the size of the square end on the adjustment screw so I can get the correct size. I need to know if is 3mm or 4mm before I order one.

Steve

Thanks Chuck but, I want to purchase the single tool and I need to know the size of the square end on the adjustment screw so I can get the correct size. I need to know if is 3mm or 4mm before I order one.
Steve

Hey Steve:
Measure the square part of the adjuster screw, right above the nut with a metric vernier caliper or micrometer.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that and I don't have enough room to get an accurate reading. How do you do them? I don't want to take it apart and wait for the tool. I need to ride! If nobody knows I'll have to order the Honda tool. Thanks for trying to help me and for all the help you have given to everyone on TT.

Steve

Thank you Rams.Thats what I needed to know. Now I can order the proper tool!

Steve

Call me cheap, but I just used my fingers to adjust them and then tightened with a 10mm. I thought it might be difficult to get it to spec, but it only took a few minutes both with the engine in or out of the frame.

I really like the tool, mostly because the 10m is lower than the hole, making the wrench harder to turn while at the same time holding the inner stationary. It gets more crowed than I like with two separate tools. The feeler gauge, I posted. I really like the stiffness that it offers... to be able to slide it under

One nice feature of the MP tools are the clocking marks that let you see how much the adjuster has turned during tightening. With some practice you learn what a 0.001" change in clearance looks like.

On 6/3/2017 at 8:51 PM, 1gr8bldr said:

Order this while your at it. 

20170603_145153.jpg

Those are what I ordered.thanks

19 hours ago, Baja Rambler said:

BTR just uses needle nose pliers..

Tool can be made by pounding red hot iron onto 3mm square.

I have tried that but couldn't get it hot enough with my bic lighter!

• Like 1