2012 450 xc-w fuel range

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2012 450 xc-w and am really enjoying it.  I signed up for a 56 mile trail ride tomorrow, and am wondering if I can safely expect to make it on one stock tank of fuel.  My previous experience with the bike shows light trail riding, say averaging 30 km/hr, I burn less than half a gallon for an hour's ride.  That suggests I should be good if I can do the ride in 3 hrs.

Anyone have an estimate for maximum range on a stock tank, non-aggressive riding, fairly easy trails?

You should make it easily.  I've gotten around 80 miles out of a tank on my 2012 450 XCW and that was in very difficult single track in Colorado.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

Good to know.  Carrying a jug of spare gas would be a real pain.  I hope not to have to rely upon help, but there will be 500 vehicles in this ride, so I won't be alone.  I'll bring cash and a hose just in case!

Last weekend I got 60 miles from my 2013 450 xcw before the low fuel light came on. No sure how far you can go on the reserve. Anyone know how much fuel is left when the light comes on or how many miles are left after that? 

2 hours ago, yellow_busa said:

Last weekend I got 60 miles from my 2013 450 xcw before the low fuel light came on. No sure how far you can go on the reserve. Anyone know how much fuel is left when the light comes on or how many miles are left after that? 

Less than 5 miles, you'll be pushing    , about two cups of fuel left with light comes on.  You better be on the way to the gas station before the light comes on.

Edited by Spud786

Just got back.  Did 106 km, or 66 miles.  Took only 4.2 litres of gas.  So that's around 70 mpg imperial.  This was very easy trails.  Took 2.9 hours total.  That tells me I have a total range of approx 200 km or 125 miles, under near ideal conditions.

Edited by Grizzlypeg