Countershaft Seal or Chain Lube

I recently noticed that my 2016 KX450F has quite a bit of grease buildup around the front sprocket and when I go for a ride there seems to be splatter on the shifter, engine, rear shock and swing arm.  The bike is relatively new with maybe 4-5 hours on it tops and I keep it pretty spotless so the splatter is easy to see and annoying.  I lubed the chain up before I put it away for the winter so I am wondering if it is chain lube flinging off everywhere or if the countershaft seal went bad.   Hard to believe the seal is bad with the bike not having much use so far.  Haven't even had to adjust the chain yet.  I took the guard off and tried to take a leak behind the sprocket and it does not look like oil is coming out of the seal but hard to tell by looking through the little sprocket holes.  Pics are below.  The first picture is before I cleaned anything and with the guard off.  In the 2nd pic I cleaned the sprocket off and took it for a short ride down the street.  As you can see there is spray on the frame and shifter.  The third pic just shows it getting on the motor.  Let me know your thoughts.  

IMG_0448.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

Oh and chain lube is Motorex (KTM branded on the label).  Plus the bike has a fresh oil change so would assume the fling wouldn't be black if it were oil but let me know how i can tell for sure.

Edited by ouhockeyplayer

Thanks for confirming Bernie.  I'll get out the chain cleaner and clean everything up and apply a little less lube this time around or try a different brand

That's chain lube for sure, know it because just had a seal fail on me and it's a lot messier than that. Just cleaned the seal and it's holding up so far. Try Motul offroad chain lube, cleanest one i've used. Also kxf 450 owner...

When you lube your chain wipe of the exxessive oil every time.

I run X-ring chain and never lube just because it attracts so much sand but when i do i use Maxima chain Wax

Edited by skorpan777
  • Like 1

I just use wd40 on my chains now a days. A lot less mess and it doesn't attract dirt and mud.

• Like 1

I use an x-ring chain and spray with white lithium grease then wipe off excess. Stays smooth, no fling off, doesn't attract dirt and never have to adjust chain.