2006 RMZ 450 used - should I?

I've looked around and found your forum helpful - thank you. I'm looking at a 2006 450 that appears to be quite clean. Current owner has owned it for 2.5 yrs. Says he's not raced it but has trail ridden, practice MX. He seems pretty picky on maintenance and says he's just checked valve clearance and they were in spec. Tires are fresh. It's not all beat up. He's raced since he was a kid and at one point was close to getting his pro card. He had planned on running some hare scrambles this summer with it but picked up a 2015.

Im 40 and weigh 230 lbs. looking for a bike to trail ride. What else should I look at/ask? I've owned 125 2 strokes and XR250/400. Currently also own LTZ400 quad. I'm a bit nervous about the 450 MX motors do to repair cost. Am I barking up he wrong tree? How do I verify the valves are good?

I can get it for about $2k

Thanks for any help!

see also current owners pics

DD560403-54D2-4166-93FE-92502D3465F9-248-0000004FD783E872.jpeg

453C8401-2DE2-4ECE-9EA1-498AC5810366-248-0000004FDAB87C85.jpeg

AC9C8183-6B5B-4798-AE7F-ABE78520CC07-248-0000004FDE23B872.jpeg

A1A68191-BC51-43C7-A688-0F64518A7D86-248-0000004FE6285446.jpeg

024C5167-0D7D-4ACC-915D-62038D09C471-248-0000004FF329B546.jpeg

E09DF3D8-A36C-49EE-8309-882ECE874476-248-0000004FF72335AE.jpeg

Edited by Quinn Denning
More info. Fixed misspelling
  • Like 1

Check to see that it starts easily. Listen for any abnormal noises while running, esp at idle. Repair costs are minimal on a 450 due to fact that you do not have to rev the bike to the moon and back to go fast. Guys put a ton of hours on these things. 

Easy insurance, take enough oil with you for him to change it. Make him drain it in front of you after it has been running. If there are metal shavings in the oil, run away. Asking how many hours are on the motor isn't a bad idea. It doesn't really mean much without receipts but still not a bad idea to ask. 

Looks pretty good for $2,000 however I don't know how tight/slow your trails are and how often you plan to start and stop during the day. Kicking a FCR carbed bike say more than 15 times in the day can be a serious chore. You'd need a rekluse or heavy flywheel weight to help prevent stalls if your terrain is slow and tight. If it's wide open and fast without gnarly slow sections then neither of those are required. Front brake hose routing is wrong but a minor quibble really. 

I would try and ride it for 15 to 20 minutes on a trail to see if hot start is or is not an issue with the bike. Most hot start failure is attributed to the wrong pilot jet or fuel screw setting. 

Did anyone else notice he has the front brake line routed on the outside of his fork leg. I'm not sure I've ever seen that one before. It looks clean and man do I want those rims! It has an hour meter by the gas tank so I would definitely look at the hours. Listen for loud ticking, RMZ's tick from the factory but there is fine line between normal ticking and loud ticking. To check valves you would have to pull the valve cover under the gas tank. Just start it cold, that will tell you about the valves, if it takes more than 3 or 4 the valves are out of spec. But there is a sequence to follow with 4 stroke MX bikes, kick the bike slowly to get it to the compression stroke and then give it a good whomp. You will notice a lot more resistance when it's in the proper stroke. Make sure the idle goes up when you pull the hotstart while it's running, this will give you a good idea if the carb is tuned properly.

I would be careful about using this bike as a trail bike or any 4 stroke MX bike( purely motocross bike) They do not like to roll around slowly for hours on end and they need sufficient air flow through the radiators to keep them from cooking themselves to death.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great info! 

I ended up going a different direction entirely - I ran across a deal on a 2017 Honda CRF 250L that I couldn't pass up. And I think it will fit my purpose much better. 

IMG_1942.JPG

1 hour ago, Quinn Denning said:

Thanks for the great info! 

I ended up going a different direction entirely - I ran across a deal on a 2017 Honda CRF 250L that I couldn't pass up. And I think it will fit my purpose much better. 

IMG_1942.JPG

What was price before fees?

I think that will be much better suited for your intentions! Congrats and happy trials man!

Current 06 rmz450 owner here, bike has been a good one and reliable for me. I don't know what your intended trails is for the bike but 05-06 is 4 speed, and 07 I'm pretty sure. 08 is fuel injected 5 speed.I run 13/51 and ride on really tight trails sometimes, could use a lower gear forsure, but I'm pretty good with the clutch. Varying areas from tight to wide open you may be swapping sprockets, or putting up with gearing shortcomings. I haven't had the bike boil on me, but rad cap is a 21psi(!) or something really high, so I probably wouldn't boil until something bad was really going on.i Should probably change that.

handling is great when the suspension is dialed for you. Engine is a powerhouse with lots of low-mid grunt, but with no few you have to be good with he clutch and throttle in tight stuff, or risk stalling. No flywheel weights are available for an 06 either.

also, I'm not sure about other people, but the whole "never raced" thing doesn't mean much to me. Technically, my things have never been raced, but every trail ride with me is treated as a race.