DRZ400e wheely big problem

Hi everyone,

Had my DRZ400E for a few months now and absolutely love it - it's a UK registered DRZ400E (2001 model). 

I now need to replace the chain and sprockets and have hit a bit of a problem. The standard sprocket size doesn't seem to fit my rear hub as the spacing of the holes is very slightly out.

Has anyone else had any similar problems and identified a sprocket that can fit alternative wheel options for a DRZ400E? As far as I know the bike is standard although I have read elsewhere about Japanese and European version differing slightly which could account for the difference? 

The rim is marked:
DID 86--0914--
J18x2.15 393 DOT

Is this the correct rear wheel? Sadly the sprocket that is slightly worn and does fit is not marked other than to state 45 tooth.

I am desperate to find the correct sprocket size so that I can get this brilliant bike MOT'd and back on the trail.

Thank you guys,
Badger

The markings on the rim don't mean a thing as any 36 spoke rim can fit any 36 spoke hub. The question is, what hub do you have? Can you take a center-to-center measurement between two adjacent mounting holes?

Thanks for this Gary.

Two mounting holes directly next to each other 7.5mm. 

Opposites (diametrically) are 15mm.

Does that help?

Thanks,

Badger

• Like 1

Not what I was thinking, but let me make sure that I understand the problem. You bought a replacement sprocket and the mounting holes don't line up with the hub, or the pitch of the sprocket teeth are off?

The sprocket teeth must be for a 520 chain. That's a standard.

There are six bolts that are used to attach the sprocket to the hub. What is the distance between any two bolts (center to center). I can measure a sprocket tonight and we can determine if your hub is different or you have the wrong sprocket.

Edited by Gary in NJ
  • Like 1

There are 30mm between sprocket mount bolts on a standard DRZ400 hub. Is yours different?

Hi Gary

sounds different to mine.

Please  see pics. The sprocket is the unmarked one that fits the hub.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsgw9bva43.jpgI apologize, I misread my calipers, it was 3.000 INCHES or about 75mm. Still, looking at your photo it appears that your bolts are somewhere between 2-3/4 to 2-7/8" on center. So something isn't right at all.

I'm not at my computer otherwise I'd check but I'd go to ronayers.com and check different year DRZs to see if there was a change. If there was, my guess is that it happened around the 2002-2003 period. 

Edited by Gary in NJ

The best thing I can think of doing is taking your wheel in to your local motorbike shop and having them work out which sprocket goes on. Then you will know for sure that you have the right one and will know what to buy next time. I can't imagine they would charge you for their time finding the right one so you would just pay for the sprocket.

On 6/3/2017 at 6:37 AM, Gary in NJ said:

I apologize, I misread my calipers, it was 3.000 INCHES or about 75mm. Still, looking at your photo it appears that your bolts are somewhere between 2-3/4 to 2-7/8" on center. So something isn't right at all.

Best way to measure center to center is to measure the diameter of one of the holes, zero, and then measure the outside distance of the holes. :thumbsup:

20170604_101916.jpg

20170604_102030.jpg

Edited by Bermudacat
  • Like 1