Plating a CRF230F

The CRF230F is not easy to plate, given lack of EPA and DOT compliance and "Off-Highway Only" in big letters on the Mfr Certificate of Origin. Took me two years to figure out how to do it, but mine now has a "MC" title and a real "MC" plate.

PM me with your situation for a rundown of the options. It's getting steadily more difficult but there are ways.

AZ is easy; when I bought my CRF250X the DOL agent told me I had a choice of 3 different types of plates and provided me with a list of requirements for each type.  I picked 20% street/80% off road plate.  
WA state is a lot like NM. PITA

Edited by Chuck.

I thought it was very easy to license my xr600r and my crf230f in Washington. DOT tires used the same ones for both bikes and still have them on the shelf. Brake/tail light. Blinkers. Dot head light and horn. Simple $50 inspection by the local bike shop. Then a couple hundred$ for new title and plates. I used all the same stuff for both bikes. Now I have removed the horn and blinkers (kept breaking the blinkers) and live happily ever after! Only did it to be legal to ride between trails in Gifford Pinchot National forest. But have been known to bomb around town though.

Buy a used Auction bike that was used by your states OHV parks and/or Park and recreation division. They have all kinds of off highway bikes that are used by rangers to patrol riding areas to make sure riders are not riding off of the permitted trails. (BLM also)

They ride them off road and on paved roads to do there jobs. They make them street legal with all state required (aftermarket) equipment and they have a special plate that they install for there use only.

But when you purchase the used bike at a State Surplus Auction yard it comes with all equipment except for there special plate.

After purchase, they give you all required paperwork for DMV registration. Make an appointment, walk in DMV, pay title, transfer, registration, walk out with a plate.

My state has 4 auctions a year. Does yours?

• Like 1

Ohio is easy, sign a  body change affidavit that it meets street requirements, headlight with hi/low beam, turn signals, tail light with brake activated brake light, left hand mirror, DOT approved hardware is required, but there is no inspection.  pay for the title change and registration all done.  oh yeah and it has to have a saddle type seat and handlebars.  no steering wheel and bucket seat on your 230 street conversions,  sorry.

My buddy started to plate his late-model XR250 and it was lots of work and lots of compromises.  In the end he sold the XR250 in favor of a dirt-only CRF230 and dual-purpose BMW F650GS.

Edited by VortecCPI

All of us Gringos in Baja have South Dakota plates on our trucks/dirt bikes. Super easy and cheap. Pm me if you need info.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

At one point I considered SD as a domicile for RVing but it was so far east I chose other options.

Even more east then Baja,Calif   HAAAA!