Off-Road Racing 101: Getting Lapped in Hare Scrambles and Enduros

Just over two years ago, I did my first Hare Scramble.  One of my concerns was being in the way of the faster racers as they lapped me.  Come to find out, if you pay attention and ride safely there isn't that much to worry about.  Now that I know more than a rock (debatable) about Hare Scrambles, I thought I would share some tips and advice.  I am making a series out of this, so if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.  Thank you.

Video Link: https://youtu.be/0Dwd9K_L4zY

Channel Link: https://www.youtube.com/c/whyrushracing1

• Like 1

Great vid and pointers. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to get around that guy that thinks he is faster than you. And one point I always try and keep in my mind..... Have fun!!!

I'll add a few things from my personal experience:

1:) If I'm lapping you, don't try to race me when you see me behind you. Usually, it's later in the race and you'll be tired. Your brain and body don't think and react the same when your tired so if you try to turn it up a notch to keep ahead, you are only increasing your chance of crashing or making a mistake.

2.) You'll know if you're being lapped simply because one second no one will be behind you and the next someone will be behind you... Another rider in your class won't be catching you that fast

3.) I don't personally encourage riders to 'pull over'. While I'm riding behind you, especially if I am right behind you, I don't know where you are going. If I take a chance to pass you because your showing no signs of pulling over, and suddenly you swerve to the right/left you could be swerving right into me. I much prefer you slow down, hold your line and I'll find a way to go around. That way you can also maintain your momentum and flow. If you insist on pulling over, stick a hand out indicating which side your pulling over.

4.) Be prepared, but if you don't pull over at the safest place possible and continue to 'race' me, I will get aggressive! And being more experienced, there is a good chance you will end up losing. A simple block pass will put you on the ground..

• Like 3