Registration and/or LIGHT KIT - DIRT BIKE

ATTENTION VERMONT STREET LEGAL DIRT BIKE RIDERS. HELP/ KNOWLEDGE NEEDED PLEASE
I am going to attempt to register my XR 400 in Vermont, after I purchase an enduro light kit. I talked to a couple shops that inspect bikes so that you can then take the form and get a registration at the Vermont DMV. The inspection stations are telling me the lights have to have the little DOT marking. I understand the tires but the lights also. A little research into the different kits such as Baja Designs and Tusk reveal that they are not DOT approved lights. Any help that can be provided would be GREATLY appreciated. I am closest to Dummerston, Bennington and the Springfield DMV office, still a 2 hr. ride. I live in Massachusetts, if anyone knows of any shops that won't pull out a magnifying glass looking for DOT markings that would be helpful. Also a good Enduro kit based on personal experience would be helpful as well. Just want to get a plate on it so I can ride with my son, he just turned 16. Feel free to message me privately if that would be preferable.
Thanks in advance
Don

Thanks for the info, I think I'll try to get a Mass title, that would definately be a plus.

Thanks again for the info.

Thanks for the info, I think I'll try to get a Mass title, that would definately be a plus.
Thanks again for the info.

If that doesn't work do the vermont thing to get your plate and the follow this link to get a title. I've done it for two bikes using nothing else but my current registration

Get a Street Legal Title and Plate for ANY Bike!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=26909&share_tid=144432&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esupermotojunkie%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D144432&share_type=t
  • Like 1

This is the deal nationally. (US) the easiest, for sure way to do it, is just buy (off ebay or junkyard) lights off a DOT street bike. Enduro, whatever looks good to you. Wire it up yourself. Acerbis headlights say DOT. Besides that, id get off something else. I build bikes often that are from scratch or totaled rebuilds...those need a federal (DOT) brake and lamp inspection. Which will include needing that DOT SAE approval. Then youll breeze through the dmv cause whos looking at your bike there most likely knows squat about bikes.

Dont think under the table money to let you slide on Chinese lights is a good way to do it. Cause highway patrol or any bike cop will know. And ticket, hopefully a fix it ticket. Hopefully not tow. But I got pulled over, on an enduro, with a running tail light only. No flashing brake. Fully registered and insured, no points...towed. An approved light in the first place would've been much easier and cheaper than all that aftermath. Buy an approved light is the way to go. 

I dont know about VT but just go to a junkyard, find what you like, and take it off yourself. Buy wire, connectors, shrink wrap, di electric grease, and electric tape...how will you power it? Try it off stock stator but youll need a battery so youll need a reg rec. Cause in that inspection, your headlight and tail light needs to stay ON with the motor OFF. So you need to figure that out. Trail Tech and Ricky Stator are good place to look.

This is fun and worth it

On June 18, 2017 at 5:11 PM, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

Dont think under the table money to let you slide on Chinese lights is a good way to do it. Cause highway patrol or any bike cop will know. And ticket, hopefully a fix it ticket. Hopefully not tow. But I got pulled over, on an enduro, with a running tail light only. No flashing brake. Fully registered and insured, no points...towed. An approved light in the first place would've been much easier and cheaper than all that aftermath. Buy an approved light is the way to go. 

Bummer about getting towed.. So you had no brake light at all and no headlight, no mirrors, knobbies?. What location?  Were you respectful to the cop?

I'm doing a conversion and so far, I have brake, tail, blinkers, brake switches for front and rear brakes, Dot tires, 4" mirrors. My brake/tail light is not Dot but as bright or brighter than dot light.. Still working on headlight but want to go with stock-looking LED.

I see a lot of Harleys and other bikes not in compliance.. I just saw a Harley on hwy 5 with ape hangers where guys hands were at level with top of helmet.  He kept removing one hand from bars to gain circulation in each arm.

50 minutes ago, Baja Rambler said:

Bummer about getting towed.. So you had no brake light at all and no headlight, no mirrors, knobbies?. What location?  Were you respectful to the cop?

I'm doing a conversion and so far, I have brake, tail, blinkers, brake switches for front and rear brakes, Dot tires, 4" mirrors. My brake/tail light is not Dot but as bright or brighter than dot light.. Still working on headlight but want to go with stock-looking LED.

I see a lot of Harleys and other bikes not in compliance.. I just saw a Harley on hwy 5 with ape hangers where guys hands were at level with top of helmet.  He kept removing one hand from bars to gain circulation in each arm.

I had everything but a BRAKE light. Signals were mounted but not wired. Just to look like I had em. But he pulled me over going straight. Still only AC a switch would need DC. Hence running tail only. Mirrors. Street tires. Xr600r frame/motor, r1 front end, vfr rear end. Now this bike has a full DC lighting system.

Huntington Beach. SoCal money hunters. Those Harleys wouldn't last long coastal Cali.

Doubt I was respectful cause most HBPD is far from respectful themselves. When has ever sounding like a sappy punk, "please dont tow me", gotten any, male, anywhere? In SoCal its a money hunt cause so many people come from somewhere else and stuff on their bike isnt legal here so they swoop in to make that money. He didnt give an eff about ME and MY safety, I promise you that.

Im a disgruntled disabled veteran with a brain injury. I dont do well with emotions and know how far I can push things legally. So if I wasnt going home with my bike, I sent that cop on his way home with a big eff you. Its the most I could get. And all I had to do was pay for it to get out of the tow yard. Then I made my DC system, got a Federal Brake and lamp inspection(which I should've BEEN done), and got that ticket written off...THATS all that shouldve happened, a fix it ticket, but it being night was his reason. BS.

Dont follow my lead

• Like 1

As many have said in the post - convert to DC power. Its not hard. Just get the correct parts and follow this thread - 

As for the DOT headlight I would search on XROnly or RMATVMC and see what they have that will fit. To reduce voltage draw on your system consider moving all of your lights to LED.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThumperCurtis said:

As many have said in the post - convert to DC power. Its not hard. Just get the correct parts and follow this thread - 

As for the DOT headlight I would search on XROnly or RMATVMC and see what they have that will fit. To reduce voltage draw on your system consider moving all of your lights to LED.

Ya I had already rebuilt motor, rewrapped stator and copied Ricky and put dual outputs. With DC plans but, like a lil boy, had to go ride. So its my mistake for sure. Bike ran sure, but my project wasn't done. All I needed was a Trail Tech reg/rec to charge a battery and all my lights but headlight lo (which is brighter than my hi which i rarely use.) Now spark, vapor gauge and a cyclops bulbed "lo beam" run off stator straight up in AC. Turn signals, brake light, tailight, and "hi beam(stock acerbis halogen)" and horn run off a battery charged by the ac after the reg rec. So i have direct dc to lights so they can all run if motors off, which is required. But my on most of the time "lo beam" runs off ac.

The reg rec was cheaper than the tow yard by the way.

@notoriousE-R-I-C How is your Vapor run off of AC? TrailTech told me that they need at least 9V DC to operate and charge the internal battery. I cannot think of any reason to have an AC regulator and a DC regulator/Rec on the same system. That's why I replaced my AC Reg with a DC Reg/Rec. Ignition (spark) is on a separate circuit and is not affected by the AC regulator.  

8 minutes ago, ThumperCurtis said:

@notoriousE-R-I-C How is your Vapor run off of AC? TrailTech told me that they need at least 9V DC to operate and charge the internal battery. I cannot think of any reason to have an AC regulator and a DC regulator/Rec on the same system. That's why I replaced my AC Reg with a DC Reg/Rec. Ignition (spark) is on a separate circuit and is not affected by the AC regulator.  

Great question. Ill go out and look but thats my third vapor and its on the only thumper i have with dc...i have one on another xr600r, same bike, no reg rec, no battery. Im no electrical genius, I just read and followed their directions...

But I also run guitar string through brass jets, so I do things different sometimes and get great results. And guitar string flossing brass jets wasnt frowned upon when i worked at honda so it must be completely harmless for real cause honda was not a do it your way mechanics type place. It was do it hondas way. Which why dealerships cost but your bike is 100%. 

I put one end of a ridgy guitar string in my mouth, put it though a jet and hold the other end of guitar string with left hand and jack off jet while twisting it...done. ive done tests, jacked off that jet as hard and as fast and as aggressive as i could measuring with weld nozzle cleaners as my gauge...never once saw any wear. Brass and aluminum is stronger than the meanest masterbater...floss those jets with guitar string.

• Like 1

:lol: Oh sumbish that's hilarious. :thumbsup:

I've used my E-strings to do a little clearing on occasion but only if its steel. 

• Like 1

Ok. Both the vapors install page and the endurance 2 page say this;

MX Bikes: Motocross bikes do not have 12volt power. For connection to an MX bike, connect power leads to ignition power leads from stator. Use caution, as this is a high voltage option.

Endurance 2 runs 9.0-400VAC

Vapor runs 6.0-400VAC

I more than likely ran a fuse cause they dont need as much power as youre tapping into. Ill look and get at you. This was just word for word Trail Tech install info

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:37 AM, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

Great question. Ill go out and look but thats my third vapor and its on the only thumper i have with dc...i have one on another xr600r, same bike, no reg rec, no battery. Im no electrical genius, I just read and followed their directions...

But I also run guitar string through brass jets, so I do things different sometimes and get great results. And guitar string flossing brass jets wasnt frowned upon when i worked at honda so it must be completely harmless for real cause honda was not a do it your way mechanics type place. It was do it hondas way. Which why dealerships cost but your bike is 100%. 

I put one end of a ridgy guitar string in my mouth, put it though a jet and hold the other end of guitar string with left hand and jack off jet while twisting it...done. ive done tests, jacked off that jet as hard and as fast and as aggressive as i could measuring with weld nozzle cleaners as my gauge...never once saw any wear. Brass and aluminum is stronger than the meanest masterbater...floss those jets with guitar string.

so do you floss with a g string?? lmao  great idea to remove crud I like it.

• Like 1