2005 450F Valve Shim Adjustment

I'm getting some bad hot hard starting.  So thinking about digging into the valve adjustment job this weekend.  I have shim kits at work, so not worried about that.  Also have a pdf service manual.

Just curious if you can cheat and zip tie the timing chain to the cam sprockets to keep time without removing the camshafts completely?  Also, any tips or tricks I should be aware of?  Thanks.

Can't cheat it like that.  The sprockets are pressed on the cams. Timing isn't that hard, really.  The important thing is to prevent the cam chain from dropping off the bottom of the crank, because if it does that, there's virtually no chance of getting it back on to the crank sprocket without "drooping" a link off the bottom.  The best and least frustrating plan is to figure on replacing the cam chain while you shim the valves, if they actually need it. 

There is a timing cheat, of sorts.  With the engine at TDC, the exhaust cam is positioned with the timing mark aligned and the run of chain from the cam sprocket down to the crank pulled tight.  Then the intake is placed on the head in between the cam saddles with 13 pins in between the "12:00" marks on the cams as shown below.  From this position, the intake cam is rolled into place in its saddle, and should be correctly timed on the first try.

cams_zpsafb75590.jpg

• Like 1

My ex were fine, had to adjust my intakes, so yes, I zip tied my chain to the ex gear

I suppose it's possible that the valves are fine and I'm chasing ghosts.  The reason I was thinking I have a valve problem is because when I was out in Moab, I was having bad hot restart issues.  To the point where I was kicking myself out of breath.  I didn't make any jetting changes as I live and ride in the Denver area.

But now that I think about it, it may actually be a carb issue.  I have my bike tuned and jetted for 85 octane and 5300' and justfound out we were running premium out in Moab.  Weird part is, even now, starts on first kick when cold.  Any other ideas?  Or does it in fact sound like valves?

I did my valve adjustment yesterday,  1 intake was really tight at .08, and 1 was loose at .18.  Left exhaust was loose at .35, right exhaust was .25.  All are in spec now.

And you can zip tie the chain to the sprockets to keep time.  Plenty of slack and room to move out of the way for shim replacement.

Changed out the 45 pilot for a 42.  Thinking I need to drop the 165 main for a 160.  Bike is running better and starting easier hot, but needs choke to start cold now.