Alrighty, so there's this cap on the left crankcase cover, ya know? And I'm not talking about the oil filler cap, or any of that, but it's just this 14mm cap that I can't find a purpose for anywhere. I can find it online, but I want to know why it's there. I literally read through the entire bike manual and there was absolutely no mention of it. Now, I want to know what the crap this part is, but also, if anyone knows how to get this sucker off that'd be just dandy. I've been trying with my 6mm allen key while trying not to strip it and it just won't come off.

2017-06-02 18.02.21 (2).jpg

30 minutes ago, MeCH_MaN said:

Timing port fort checking TDC on a valve adjustment or other service.
Doesn't need to come off.

Oh, and there is mention of it.
Read the valve adjustment section.

If it doesn't need to come off what is it there for? And I just checked the manual again... there's no valve adjustment section and still no signs of this cap being mentioned.

If it doesn't need to come off what is it there for? And I just checked the manual again... there's no valve adjustment section and still no signs of this cap being mentioned.

Your looking at the owners manual, you need a service manual....
  • Like 2

Was just explained what its there for...

You remove it to line up the marks behind it so you have your timing dead on and at TDC when disassembling and reassembling the engine.

"Doesn't need to come off" means if you aren't messing with the timing set it anything in depth inside the engine.

An owners manual won't tell you crap about anything that matters. you need the factory service manual, I dont even waste the money on Haynes and Clymers manuals for CRFs

That plug in right side is for access to turn the engine over with a wrench. The dot/arrow alignment there is a joke. Why Honda referenced it to set cam timing, I'll never understand. It's almost a cruel joke.

JT001.jpg&key=93e8677a5c1dc27635eee66e91

Like others have said, it's to set the timing on the engine. Behind the plug are tick marks for you to line up. IIRC, the left tick mark is the ignition and the right tick mark is when the piston is TDC. Unless you have taken the cam/timing gear off you do not need to remove it.

• Like 1