05 RMZ450

So I just picked up this bike today. I have the service sheet and got it from a pro motox mechanic. He put weisco piston in it and crank and new cyclinder. I rode it today and god damn I love the power, its a jumping machine. Question is when we were done for the day I turned off the fuel and it kept leaking so I I turned it on fired it up and rode about 2 miles WOT for a few seconds in 4th gear. So I get back and now the issue seems fixed and no leaking, what could this be? Maybe there was grime in the float and since opeing it up WOT for a bit it blew it out. Anyway, it has a power core 4 fmf pipe and hour meter. Thanks for help.

Hard to give you a specific answer on this one without going into what ifs and maybes. Literally could be dozens of maybes. Float level too high, overflow screw not tight, overflow screw o ring has gone bad, something stopping the float from seating all the way, float seat and needle have gone bad.

Either way, personally, I turn the fuel petcock off while it's running and let it run out of fuel, so there isn't fuel sitting in the float bowl. It Takes 20 seconds longer to start it next time but you won't mind, considering it will take you a couple hours to rebuild the carb when the ethanol deposits form from gas sitting in there.

It leaks after you turned the fuel petcock off? Yank the fuel hose off at the carb and does fuel flow out the hose in off position? If so, rebuild your petcock valve. If there is none move on to carb. Could be bad fuel inlet needle(replace it, it's cheap), wrong float height. 

If your going to do the running it out of gas thing don't do it at wot or even close, that'll be running extremely lean towards the end. I personally don't do it, just drain it if it's going to sit. If it's only going to be a week or so I leave it. Letting it run out of fuel running doesn't get rid of it all anyway, it still leaves some of it at the bottom, it's just out of the jets reach. To each their own though.

• Like 1

I ran it through all the gears almost top speed on the street and it doesn't do it anymore. Rode 5 hours today, after changing the oil first of course-it needed it-and it doesnt do it anymore. Also ran some fuel additive that cleans the entire fuel system. Hey is it okay or even a good idea to run one of those $5 fuel filters between the fuel shut off valve and carb?

I ran it through all the gears almost top speed on the street and it doesn't do it anymore. Rode 5 hours today, after changing the oil first of course-it needed it-and it doesnt do it anymore. Also ran some fuel additive that cleans the entire fuel system. Hey is it okay or even a good idea to run one of those $5 fuel filters between the fuel shut off valve and carb?

There is no need for a fuel filter, there is a built in strainer in the tank.
  • Like 1

Ya I saw that thank you guys. Im super stoked on this bike runs GREAT.

• Like 2