My 300 starts then dies.

Hoping someone can help withis.

Had ride last weekend, washed bike, put it away. Went to start it today, it starts for a second or two and dies. Once it backfired.

Like it's not getting enough fuel. Float bowl is full.

Tried the normal 2 Stroke things, changed plug out, air filter replaced , pulled carry out and cleaned jets. Pilot and main.

Tried to start it, would start for 1 second then die. Tried opening throttle and choke..... 

Any ideas? What am I missing here.

My Beta has never let me down before.

Water in the kill switch, in the cluster. Replace this with good button and seal all electrics.

• Like 2

"Water in the kill switch, in the cluster. Replace this with good button and seal all electrics."

Thanks GP had a hunch it may be electrical as the bike ran fine up until the wash, something for me to definately check.

Is the kill switch you are talking about, the switch on handle bars or ? 

Jonny Depp - yep, wish it was so easy, sounds like that tho..

Found the kill switch cluster, behind headlight. And it looks like the clip itself is full of water.

Need to open it to get water out. i can't work out how to split this clip.. 

IMG_4928.JPG

14 hours ago, Danceswithtrees said:

They just pull apart, one side will remain in the bracket.  There isn't any locking tabs on them.

Ahh thanks Danceswithtrees, I was a bit cautious about just pulling it in case I broke it. Was suprised to see how much water was actually in there. I hope this is the starting issue.

I might have to buy some shrink tape and waterproof it a bit better. Will give it a try when I get home tonight.

Just noticed while poking around I am up for a Headstem Bearing kit, looks like water has ingressed from the Key hole or something.

Done 5000km so I think I really need to go over the bike. I am not a mechanic but like learning.

On 2017-6-3 at 10:19 PM, GP said:

Water in the kill switch, in the cluster. Replace this with good button and seal all electrics.

That was it mate! Thanks you. :thumbsup: Saved me ALOT of painful hours.

Got home tonight pulled the clip with the kill switch, pressed go and she fired straight away. Beauty. To kill the engine I just plugged it back in. I blew both ends out with air, put back in and would not start again. 

I guess now I need to "replace with good button", can anyone tell me what setup to get instead of a Standard Beta Version if they fail with water, I still need Headlight working.

Best way to seal all Electrics? I was thinking of using heat shrink wrap.

The kill switch is part of the switch cluster on the bars.  Disconnect it and run a separate, waterproof kill switch, I have one from a YZ250.  The open connector wiring on modern Euro dirt bikes is pathetic.  Seal up the back of the connectors where the wires enter with silicone RTV, grease the terminals with silicone grease, and tape the connector set tightly after mating.  Do the same with the crimped connectors on the coil.  Before any of this remove all electricals you don't need.

• Like 1