Jump to content

'98 YZ250 grinding sound

Recommended Posts

I recently bought a '98 YZ250. Before I bought it, I took it for a test ride. It ran beautifully. I got it home and decided to take it for a real ride. I rode for about 30-40 minutes. Everything was going good, until the last quarter mile stretch. I stopped at a stop sign, then as I went to accelerate again, it made a horrible screeching sound. It went for about 5-10 seconds before I decided to turn the bike off and walk it home. As I pushed the bike, it continued to make the sound, unless I walked it really slowly. By the time I got it home, though, it had gotten a little "better." I could walk it at a normal walking pace, and the sound wasn't constantly there.

At first I thought it was coming from the rear brakes, because it started right after I had braked. Upon further inspection, however, I believe the noise is coming from the gearbox. I put the bike on a stand, threw it in neutral, and spun the rear tire. It makes no noise, until I spin it fast enough, then the noise comes back. I don't know if I should try starting it again. I don't want to cause any more damage. I was thinking it could be a lack of gear oil, but wouldn't the noise have been there constantly, or sooner at least?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

check the gear oil if you suspect its from lack of oil. after you do that post a video of the noise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 91kdx25088 said:

check the gear oil if you suspect its from lack of oil. after you do that post a video of the noise.

Will do. I'm currently waiting for the store to open to go and pick some up. I already drained the oil. There was only about 250-260ml in there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, road-rash3000 said:

Will do. I'm currently waiting for the store to open to go and pick some up. I already drained the oil. There was only about 250-260ml in there. 

Im not to familiar with the older yzs, but most newer ones need 750ml. I suspect you were really low on oil. I would fill her up and if the noise is still there then its might be the clutch basket or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dconer1 said:

Im not to familiar with the older yzs, but most newer ones need 750ml. I suspect you were really low on oil. I would fill her up and if the noise is still there then its might be the clutch basket or something.

Yup. 750ml, so that's what I put in it. The sound went away. I was just confused by how the sound suddenly started. I would have thought oil that low would have been an issue right away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×