Reliability and price for more power

I have a 2000 XR650L with low miles, it's a great bike. I've been considering engine mods like higher compression, big bore, and cam. I assume someone here has done these mods. So, my questions to someone who has done this:

1. What would these mods cost ballpark if I did the work myself? (I already have a carb)

2. Would the engine be reliable and last? I don't plan to race it or run the snot out of it. Mostly just want the power for fun. If gentle use I wonder if the engine would last a long time.

3. How much "fun" would these mods give me? I kind of miss my old KTM 525's power.

Thanks guys!

You can get a 720 kit for them - which means it will produce more heat on an air cooled bike. High compression piston and gaskets - you might have to look at getting a stronger conrod.

• Like 1

The XR650L responds well to being modified.

Don't be scared.

• Like 1

When I had my engine rebuilt by Steve in San Francisco, he put in a 10.5:1 675cc piston leaving everything else stock.  It makes about five more horsepower everywhere and gets better mileage and I doubt that it affects reliability of anything beyond the starter motor.  The head was sent out for valve work at the same time.  I'm guessing that if you did all of the work yourself you're talking about $600 or so.  Oh, add another $20 to fix second gear while it's already opened up.

Don't bother with a bigger bore than needed to rehab the cylinder , a compression bump will give you more power than a bore increase and you won't need a new cylinder several years down the road when you rebuild it again. You can't make it a 525 , but you can improve it quite a bit. An 11.25 piston and a cam is a great start.

• Like 2

Have you done Daves mod on the carb, uni filter after market exhaust? This may give you what your looking for

"Have you done Daves mod on the carb, uni filter after market exhaust? This may give you what your looking for"

Yup, done all that and very satisfied. Just think more power would be fun so am considering big bore and high compression if I do anything. Thanks!

• Like 1