Just picked up A DRZ 400S Yesterday and a few questions not covered in FAQ.

So I just picked up this beautiful unmolested 2011 DRZ400S from a estate sale. The kids told me there dad was 72 years old and bought the bike new. Then he got Cancer and now has past. Its to bad he did not get a chance to ride the bike more but it was a steal of a deal for me. The bike only had 524 miles on it (544 now after test ride) and it has a set of D606's on it, A Corbin gel seat which is good for me as I am only 5'8", Skid plate and a Rack it aluminum luggage rack. Its so clean I could eat off it. LOL.

Anyways the kids told me they had its first oil change at 300 miles. I asked if they new what kind of oil was put in it and they had no clue so I am figuring when I hit 600 or 700 miles I will do another oil change, filter, and clean the screen. That rises the question on which brand of oil I should use?? Mobile 1 4T 10w-40 or Silkolene PRO4 XP 15w-50?? I will be dual sporting the bike from 55/60 MPH highway to National forest numbered roads and some tight single track but not a lot of tight single track as I have a GasGas for that.

The kids could not find the stock tires, seat or any of the paper work / manuals for the bike so if any one has a link or has scanned the manuals I would appreciate a link so I can download them.

Being the Drz does not have any rim locks could some one give me a idea on what air pressure I should run for the D606's?? Eventually (When I need tires) I will install rim locks and a tublis system. This way I can carry a tire plug kit and Co2 cartridge air cylinders in case of a flat tire and lower the air pressure for off road riding. This also gives me the idea of using a small paint ball Co2 tank to fill with air and strap it to the luggage rack.

I am sure I will have more questions but this will get me started.

DRZ#1 .jpeg

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 6.45.16 PM.png

IMG_20170602_192924264.jpg

IMG_20170601_132258961.jpg

IMG_20170601_132309013.jpg

IMG_20170602_192947873.jpg

IMG_20170602_194051855.jpg

IMG_20170602_194114739_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170602_194137903.jpg

IMG_20170602_194500295.jpg

IMG_20170602_200158670_HDR.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 6.46.46 PM.png

• Like 3

Congrats on the great find. Has some nice accessories on it and as I'm sure you'll discover,  there's a ton more goodies out there for that bike.

I'd Run 18- 20 psi in the tires for dual sport and the brand of oil doesn't  matter so much as the frequency  of changing it. I'm not yet in my 70's but I have a lot of experience  with oils, so I run Shell Rotella 15/40 and change it every 1k to 1500 kms.

I'll just share with you my favorite mod. that I've done to my DRZ.  It's the Trailtech Voyager dash/gps unit. It eliminates  much of the draw on the battery, has a ton more info then the stock dash. Has a simple gps that I use to track all my rides and if I'm going somewhere I haven't been, I'll draw a route on Google Earth and load it into the Voyager, I love it.

Well, enjoy that nice new bike. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Congrats! What an awesome find!

Get those rim locks now, lower air pressure is the saving grace of dual sport tires and it only takes an hour or so to break down the tires and install em. I run 12 rear and 14-18 front depending on terrain, with locks.

• Like 2

You must be new to the internet asking about oil ?

Air pressure is kind of subjective and requirements change depending on terrain. On rocky trails I like 10-12 psi. Gravel roads or forest trails I run 16-18. On the road I might run a little higher. 

Oil, do your reading and run what you like. People go bat shit crazy over this subject. Run anything that has the right friction rating and correct viscosity for the conditions. Oil is cheap so change it often. If it makes you uncomfortable not knowing what is in there now, change it now and get the filter at 1,000 miles. 

1 hour ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Congrats! What an awesome find!

Get those rim locks now, lower air pressure is the saving grace of dual sport tires and it only takes an hour or so to break down the tires and install em. I run 12 rear and 14-18 front depending on terrain, with locks.

Ya I was kinda thinking the same thing. All its going to take for it to hook once when I am on the gas and Pop goes the tube. I just did not want to do it now but I will.

2 hours ago, bucket list said:

Congrats on the great find. Has some nice accessories on it and as I'm sure you'll discover,  there's a ton more goodies out there for that bike.

I'd Run 18- 20 psi in the tires for dual sport and the brand of oil doesn't  matter so much as the frequency  of changing it. I'm not yet in my 70's but I have a lot of experience  with oils, so I run Shell Rotella 15/40 and change it every 1k to 1500 kms.

I'll just share with you my favorite mod. that I've done to my DRZ.  It's the Trailtech Voyager dash/gps unit. It eliminates  much of the draw on the battery, has a ton more info then the stock dash. Has a simple gps that I use to track all my rides and if I'm going somewhere I haven't been, I'll draw a route on Google Earth and load it into the Voyager, I love it.

Well, enjoy that nice new bike. :thumbsup:

Yup I have already seen tons of goodies for the bike. I could easily spend another grand on accessory's. lol. Does the stock dash really take that much battery power?? I'm not new to the internet or oils but the last time I had a 4T bike was before AOL & dial up came out. Well at least in my area. Mid 80's. I have been running 2T dirt bikes for decades though.

• Like 4

i'd get some rotella dino from walmart or something and not put that synthetic crap in a new bike .. on the pressure i'd keep about 25-30 in them on the street or you risk spinning them and ripping the valves out if they go low on you  .. they can be sneaky like that if you dont check it often especially if its already low ..

Edited by cowpie

7 hours ago, Zrt1200 said:

Ya I was kinda thinking the same thing. All its going to take for it to hook once when I am on the gas and Pop goes the tube. I just did not want to do it now but I will.

Yup I have already seen tons of goodies for the bike. I could easily spend another grand on accessory's. lol. Does the stock dash really take that much battery power?? I'm not new to the internet or oils but the last time I had a 4T bike was before AOL & dial up came out. Well at least in my area. Mid 80's. I have been running 2T dirt bikes for decades though.

I'd for sure get a battery tender. Hook up a pigtail and have it by the left side panel for easy plug in. I used mine after every ride and never have I needed a new battery in over 6 yrs. The guy I bought it from went thru 2 in just 2 seasons, mostly because he didn't ride during our snowy winter and it drained it out after a few months of inactivity. They are only 30 or 40 bucks and it's just a good thing to have with a bike that uses power when you're not riding it. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!! ;)

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Signman606 said:

I'd for sure get a battery tender. Hook up a pigtail and have it by the left side panel for easy plug in. I used mine after every ride and never have I needed a new battery in over 6 yrs. The guy I bought it from went thru 2 in just 2 seasons, mostly because he didn't ride during our snowy winter and it drained it out after a few months of inactivity. They are only 30 or 40 bucks and it's just a good thing to have with a bike that uses power when you're not riding it. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!! ;)

Agreed, Battery tenders are cheap compared to buying battery's. I have 2 on our 2 snowmobiles and one on my quad as I type this and they are on them unless I am using them. That reminds me I need to get a 6V one for my old Ford tractor that's in the barn. When I change oil I always put in a filter. The filter is a 1/4 of the price of the oil so why wouldn't you put a filter in when changing oil. JMO

• Like 1

"How much power does the stock dash draw? "  I haven't measured it my self, but most guys say if it sits for 2 weeks  the battery will be dead. With my Trailtech dash, my bikes never failed to start, even sitting for more than 3 weeks. But if you keep the stock dash, a battery tender is a great idea.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, bucket list said:

"How much power does the stock dash draw? "  I haven't measured it my self, but most guys say if it sits for 2 weeks  the battery will be dead. With my Trailtech dash, my bikes never failed to start, even sitting for more than 3 weeks. But if you keep the stock dash, a battery tender is a great idea.

Randy......I got the Vapor and it has its' own battery......not draw off the bike's battery. Just keepin' it simple down here in Orygun............:lol:

• Like 4

Randy......I got the Vapor and it has its' own battery......not draw off the bike's battery. Just keepin' it simple down here in Orygun............:lol:

Vapor and voyager both have their own battery but the cool thing is that they will charge off either AC or DC! On my xr600 I only have a.c. power and I just intercepted the tail light circuit and it works perfect. Turns on with the engine and off with the kill switch. I love my voyager!
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Vapor and voyager both have their own battery but the cool thing is that they will charge off either AC or DC! On my xr600 I only have a.c. power and I just intercepted the tail light circuit and it works perfect. Turns on with the engine and off with the kill switch. I love my voyager!

I like that. I might have to get one of those for my GasGas.

• Like 2

A couple of pics of tonight's first DS ride. The XR650L is my boys and now after riding my DRZ he wants a set of the D606's. lol. Just a FYI. He just got the XR not even 2 weeks ago and the fender & headlight shroud was the first of the body parts to show up. He will have it looking like new very shortly. He's waiting on the UPS man. lol. He is a lot like me and wants his stuff Mechanically sound, Running good, And looking good as well.

IMG_20170603_200628250_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170603_200717572.jpg

IMG_20170603_200817514.jpg

• Like 2

Well I just spent a few hundred in the TT store. 1 Suzuki oil filter kit so I have spare o-rings & crush washers, 2 K&N oil filters, 1 Manual Cam Chain Tensioner and a set of Blue Unabiker rad guards. While I am out and about this week I will pic up a couple qts of Mobile 1 4T 10w-40 so when every thing shows up I can get to work on it. I will post pics with the new rad guards once installed. Next is to order up a set of wide foot pegs & some pillow top grips.

Edit. When I placed my order with the TT store I did order a set of case savers as well. I also order up some wide footpegs & 3 finger shorty levers.

Edited by Zrt1200

15 hours ago, Zrt1200 said:

When I change oil I always put in a filter. The filter is a 1/4 of the price of the oil so why wouldn't you put a filter in when changing oil. JMO

An oil change on my bike costs $18 and a filter costs $5.

I follow the service manual on filter changes and it doesn't recommend it every oil change.

• Like 1

I want to see some good pics of that IT 465 as your avatar(pipe on the left so it's not the 200) !  I've always wanted one or a 490 , just not many places to ride a non DOT bike around me .

Edited by jjktmrider

Beautiful bike. I like it in white. You might want to pick up a set of case guards.  In a tip over the brake pedal or shifter can bend and punch a hole in the brittle cases. The FAQ has lots of other good suggestions.

4 hours ago, brucen said:

Beautiful bike. I like it in white. You might want to pick up a set of case guards.  In a tip over the brake pedal or shifter can bend and punch a hole in the brittle cases. The FAQ has lots of other good suggestions.

I ordered them with the rest of the stuff I ordered from the TT store. I did not realize I forgot to add that in the post.

6 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

I want to see some good pics of that IT 465 as your avatar(pipe on the left so it's not the 200) !  I've always wanted one or a 490 , just not many places to ride a non DOT bike around me .

Ok, I will get some posted soon. I just have to find the folder I put them in and they my be on my old PC?? If so I will get it out and take some pics for you.

Edit. Here is a few pics of it. This is how I bought it and unfortunately have not got back to it except to fire it up several times a year and ride it around for a hour or so. I will get back to it once things come down though. It has the original seat & tires on it yet as well as the original chain & sprockets and even hand grips. It even has the original tool kit in the tool bag.

IT465#4.jpeg

IT465 .jpeg

IT465 #2 .jpeg

IT465#3.jpeg

Edited by Zrt1200
  • Like 1