500 exc-f 2017 suspension for trail and wood

hi , i am 190 naked and my 2017 500 it set up on sport setting ( ktm mentioned in their book ) . the rear stock spring is cranked up a bit for closer sag but can not go to far free sag will be out off spec . i ride wood and atv trail with small jump ,rock , mud . suspension is too soft for me and i have bad carpal tunnel  ( i am a 45 year old wore out mechanic ) . i need harder suspension but afraid of to hard front suspension . my idea is going harder spring , heavier oil and softer valving setting .  

i need your input from you guys that did their suspension . i don't want to pay 2500/3000 $ to send it out in a shop .

first one that i can change is the back spring . i ride far back and have fastway air pegs  low / back setting and i think will it tend to wheelie too  much seems like the back suspension give up to fast . 

Edited by cisco 1

ok i did some research . the back spring is 63-66-69-225  that is rated for 165-187 rider ( they don't say naked or gear up ) so i think 66-69-72 n/mm would be okay for me . 

for the front spring i have no clue what i have stock  . my guest is i need 4,8 or 5,0 n/mm with ? oil grade . 

i did Email slavens racing about what i need or what should be a good set up . 

Slavens recommendations still lean towards the softer side of things. That fact is costing me an additional $100.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spud786 said:

Slavens recommendations still lean towards the softer side of things. That fact is costing me an additional $100.

i have not received slavens response . it is just my first guest . 

thank you for sharing this , so you tel me to not be afraid off going to stiff whit slavens suggestion . 

On my 2015, I quoted slavens 195 lbs no gear (im actually 200 to 205) presently,  for high speed desert. Stock fk springs are .44nm,  he came back with .46's (one step above), but said you might go to the .48 for high speed desert. Which Im glad I did , they (are and were) just adequate , with a 20 to 30% improvement in various areas.  High speed definitely got better, but still lacks the ability to take  medium and above flat landing jumps more the a few feet in height, and Im running a fairly high oil height, which causes its own other issues. But they are atleast usable.

Im about to go up to more spring sizes, which is actually Race techs recommend. So from ,44 to ,48 to ,52's.

first step is know what stock is, and figure 2 to 4 sizes up if in the 200 lb area,  but check out racetech site, where you can get recommended spring rate for your bike. The one thing I like about the slavens fk springs, they arent Chinese stuff, very accurate length and quality. So that where I will get the ,52's

we want talk about the rear, but Im refocusing on the front first.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

race tecks calculated 0,48 kg to 0,50 kg and 110mm oil level . does someone know those stock XPlor front fork come with in 2017 ? with oil is stock ? 

so slavens 4,8 n/mm should be good for me . 

4,8 n/mm = 0,49 kg 

Edited by cisco 1

Slavens recommendations for me were same as racetechs and seem to be working well for woods riding.

OP, the weight to calculate everything is geared up, full camel back, any tools you carry,...  Going to heavier springs will actually soften your suspension as right now you are blowing through the plush part of your travel.

I'd recommend switching springs front and rear first and holding off on switching out the front oil.  Get a fresh baseline with new springs before you decide what changes to valving and oil are needed.  Front and rear springs are a VERY easy job.  Took me all of an hour to get everything done and that was with a 3 year old "helping" (aka - hiding bolts throughout the garage).

• Like 1

can somebody tel me what it stock front spring in those 2017 500  . is it 4.4 or 4.6 ?

i will go 2 size up front and rear but some say 4.4 up front some say 4.6 . 

on   www.q-springs.com they say 4,4 on 500 exc-f and 4,6 on 500 exf-f 6 day . so 6 day and normal model don't have same spring up front  . hummmm

I believe ktm specs are in newton and everybody else in the mc world is in kilos.  Close  but not the same.

Std is 4.6N/mm ( Part No 438.470.00.46 )

• Like 1

stadium suspension suggest me 4,8 in front that one size up and 69/72/76 on the back that is 2 size up . strange combo but they assure me they did a couple off those soft 2017 and it how they put them . 

Kreft has a video on the 17's , and I agree between that video, slavens stink bug, 1 up on front and 2 on the rear seems odd.

• Like 1