2 stroke exhaust packing questions.

Hey guys. noticed my bike the other day sounded LOUD!  others noticed too. I was "that guy"...  I figured my exhaust packing was shot/gone.   I assumed id have none left like my 4 stroke, it blows it all out.

I popped the cover off, seen the packing was 100% (or was it?) and almost put it back together!!!   luckily I investigated further.. that packing was SHOT!   I have 20-30 hours on it.  the inside was caked, cooked, baked and clogged with splooge.   the little holes were also 75% clogged shut.   I hit it with a propane torch for literally 10 minutes, it took forever. and rubbed a screwdriver on the inside to knock all the ash/carbon out.  looks WAY better. havnt heard or ran it yet though.  brought up a few questions though.

1. how much packing do you use?  how tight should it be?

2. how often should you re pack a 2 stroke?  mine had 20-30 hours on this packing.  FMF exhaust.

3. header cleaning with a torch... is it even worth it?  how often should that be done? will it discolor it? will it weaken it?

4. why is my packing so clogged? normal 4 stroke thing, or is my jetting bad?  my fuel is 50:1 with royal purple 2 stroke oil.  im pretty sure splooge is caused by bad jetting, not by fuel/oil ratios.

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

Edited by cdf450

28 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

Hey guys. noticed my bike the other day sounded LOUD!  others noticed too. I was "that guy"...  I figured my exhaust packing was shot/gone.   I assumed id have none left like my 4 stroke, it blows it all out.

I popped the cover off, seen the packing was 100% (or was it?) and almost put it back together!!!   luckily I investigated further.. that packing was SHOT!   I have 20-30 hours on it.  the inside was caked, cooked, baked and clogged with splooge.   the little holes were also 75% clogged shut.   I hit it with a propane torch for literally 10 minutes, it took forever. and rubbed a screwdriver on the inside to knock all the ash/carbon out.  looks WAY better. havnt heard or ran it yet though.  brought up a few questions though.

1. how much packing do you use?  how tight should it be?

2. how often should you re pack a 2 stroke?  mine had 20-30 hours on this packing.  FMF exhaust.

3. header cleaning with a torch... is it even worth it?  how often should that be done? will it discolor it? will it weaken it?

4. why is my packing so clogged? normal 4 stroke thing, or is my jetting bad?  my fuel is 50:1 with royal purple 2 stroke oil.  im pretty sure splooge is caused by bad jetting, not by fuel/oil ratios.

1.  I use the full roll of FMF 2 stroke packing.

2. I repack mine when it starts blowing a good amount of spooge out of the silencer.

3. Don't bother

4. Your jetting might be a little off, but in all reality, your photos show a normal 2 stroke silencer due for new packing.

As for the loud thing.. I don't really notice any volume difference from new packing to oil soaked.

• Like 4

Your packing looks fairly normal when due for a change... The baffle sure looks plugged though... I think 30hrs is reasonable.  Yes spoodge is caused by poor jetting not premix ratio...   I find however that in the tight stuff some oils are better than others..  I find Motul 710 and maxima super M are my favorites. Low flash points.  I've gotten to where I can ride for days without a drop of spoodge now that I know the jetting on my bike....   Usually when I get a little spoodge it's from big elevation changes or the temps warm up and I don't adjust the jetting..

Edited by Nevada Al
  • Like 1

Well that's good to hear. Yes. That was the question I forgot. My rubber joint connector piece is a little worn and loose. Can I buy new, tighter ones. Or should I just lather it in high temp silicone again before sliding it on? The bike actually doesn't spooge all over the place like others do. My header is touching my rad though which needs to be addressed.

• Like 1

i bought a replacement for mine, but most guys on here use an old section of garden hose and heavy zip ties. That part of the pipe doesn't get that hot.

• Like 1

hmmm. or zipties on my current gromet piece would work too.

pretty clean otherwise, so leads me to believe my jetting is good. bike does idle a little high sometimes.  I think im gonna treat myself to a lectron pretty soon.

• Like 1