Xr fuel delivery problems

This post isn't only just in reference to XR's or Crf's, or even Honda, and could apply to pretty much any fuel system with a petcock. I thought I'd share my experience and maybe be of some help to someone in the future. It's fairly long, sorry about that. 

We have an '05 crf50f for my girlfriend's son, got it for him 2 Christmases ago. When we got it, I cleaned the carb (so I thought). It ran decently for a bit but eventually started giving me trouble and couldn't ever keep it running for him to ride any time he wanted. 

Air filter was junk, so I took off stock and put on a uni open element filter, still no help.

After tearing down the carb a ton of times, and finally looking at an exploded view of the carb, I realized, hey dummy you haven't actually gotten the main jet out to clean that. It was horribly gunked up. Finally, carb is fully clean.

I drained the tank and found that the petcock screen had completely deteriorated and turned into chunks and small pieces in the tank. Cleaned it all out, put on 1/4" fuel line and inline filter. Still having problems. 

The petcock had been leaking, so we decided to drill it out and open it up since we had the tap and screws needed to close it back up, thinking it just had an o-ring in there. Upon opening it up, the seal disk that was in there was hard as a rock, and every passage running through the petcock was clogged damn near completely closed off. 

Ran a drill bit down through it by hand to break it up and got the whole thing cleaned out. Found an o-ring that would work temporarily, put it back together and on the bike. The little bike runs like a champion now! The o-ring seals it well, but you can't shut off the fuel. So I say use one just as a temporary fix.

There's a guy on ebay selling petcock rebuild kits for $15, that will get you the proper inner seal/packing. 

I know the Honda petcock is sealed so it's probably the last thing anybody would think to check, but if you have an older bike, or just haven't had the best quality gas run though it, you might wanna check your petcock 

Thanks for reading, I hope this helps at least 1 person 

Daniel 

• Like 1

All I've ever run in it and my other bikes and lawn equipment is non ethanol "100%" gas. Hard to say if there's any true 100% gas out there anymore, but that's what I run. 

Same here....................it's the best we can do at this point!:thumbsup:  Ethanol in fuel systems that were not meant for it is a disaster! 

Old School Al

Noooo kidding! I'm thinking about looking for a small inline water separater if they make one small enough. Been having issues with water in the mower gas. Not sure if it's in the gas can I have, or just condensation built up in the mower tank. But I use the same can for the bike. Might look at some fuel stabilizer I was recommended as well

Seafoam has its benefits. Ethanol gas/ E10 might not cause instant issues, but over prolonged use in older motors and fuel systems. In the past I'd read that it can also cause damage to the valve seals. I found this article on Popular Mechanics that's pretty informative. 

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a6244/e15-gasoline-damage-engine/