1997 XR600 Camshaft and rockers wear problem.. maybe head oil pressure?

Hi Guys,
I bought a 1997 XR600R few months ago (i am the 5th owner). the previous owner told me they rebuilt the engine with oversize piston and the bike was running great. I rode it 4-5 times and than my engine was stuck..
When I opened it if found that one of the outlet valve rockers was worn really bad and also the camshaft pickup that is above it, what made my valve head break and fall into the cylinder and punch a hole in the piston :-(
Anyway, after all the damaged parts where replaced with new ones (over sized piston, new valves, new rocker, used cam that looks OK), i started the bike for few times (maybe 15 min. in total) but heard a screaming sound from the engine... I removed the upper oil line Banjo when the engine was running and saw it spitting oil. I also removed the valves covers and fired the engine. its was spraying oil. although it seems like the cam and valves are getting lubed, the screaming sound remained.
I decided not to take any chance and removed the head cover. I found that now a different rocker was worn (and the cam shaft pickup above it) what lead me to think I have an oil pressure problem..

Anybody have any idea where to start? the oil pump seems to be working fine, and I understood that xr600 oil pumps live for ever...Before I replace (again) all the parts with new ones, I must make sure the problem is gone, Any body got idea from where to start? what could have gone wrong?

18818156_10155273611850782_935174300_o.jpg

18901429_10155273611790782_1637327957_o (1).jpg

18901429_10155273611790782_1637327957_o.jpg

18927095_10155273611925782_2055094812_o.jpg

18927389_10155273611970782_753512569_o.jpg

for 1...   not sure where you got the idea an XR600R oil pump lasts forever,,it must be inspected if oil failure inside the engine is seen,,i replace it at every rebuild.....

never seen a car engine builder rebuilder re-use the oil pump during a rebuild have ya????   cheap insurance at the very least..

for 2.. if the cam was roached...why would you not replace it and all the rockers,,they wear together,,,

at this point where you did 1/2 a rebuild with mismatched 1/2 worn parts..who knows where to start..

the last guy I helped rebuild an XR engine had the  oil pump he said was good worn so badly at the rotor tips I almost cryed looking at it...

and another had the oil hose twisted at the downtube so oil flow was just a spit instead of a good flow,,,both guys payed the price of not

not going the mile...

do it right = do it once...

B

Edited by brianhare
  • Like 4

Low oil solution would be to put to bigger oil lines and make sure the oil filter side cover is free of any abstraction. so The head could receive optimal oil feed. most if the time its something caught in the side cover. Just put  a steel braided line kit on the oil line. Thats what i did for mines. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, whiteXR1 said:

Low oil solution would be to put to bigger oil lines and make sure the oil filter side cover is free of any abstraction. so The head could receive optimal oil feed. most if the time its something caught in the side cover. Just put  a steel braided line kit on the oil line. Thats what i did for mines. 

I did the same on my XRL and drilled out the banjo bolts. There is also a mod from the HRC manual that has you swap the two oil jets from the pump. The crank jet is larger. The swap gives more flow to the head. The XRL comes this way. 

yea man. I have never seen the HRC mod, but the big line mod i did with turbo oil banjos and braided line and I think it flood the head with oil how its suppose to be especially with modded top end.

DO you have any pics of the HRC pump mod

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:46 PM, whiteXR1 said:

yea man. I have never seen the HRC mod, but the big line mod i did with turbo oil banjos and braided line and I think it flood the head with oil how its suppose to be especially with modded top end.

DO you have any pics of the HRC pump mod

do you have more info on the turbo banjos and braided lines.

23 hours ago, tucan said:

do you have more info on the turbo banjos and braided lines.

yea I did it. 12in 4an line. two drilled  out 4an banjo's and i used the stock bolts drilled out. It came out good, big time difference to the oil flow to the head. Seems to run quieter.

2 hours ago, whiteXR1 said:

yea I did it. 12in 4an line. two drilled  out 4an banjo's and i used the stock bolts drilled out. It came out good, big time difference to the oil flow to the head. Seems to run quieter.

The 'an" is that a size? 

yea steel braided lines are military spec so the sizes 2an- to 16an-. i think they even have bigger. similar to pipe fittings,but the an- are flared already s0 you don't got to worry about leaking.

On 6/8/2017 at 6:16 PM, JoeRC51 said:

Alpha Numeric.

thats how fitting is labeled.  4an-  fittings. any speed shop or jets or even eBay will carry they have all different sizes and everything. The -an it main for racing and military application.