2015 TTR 125 shifting problem

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and fairly new to the sport. I got my first bike not long ago, a 2015 Yamaha ttr 125 (I'm 15 and it's not too small for now). When I bought it I knew that this problem existed, but I'm now learning how to fix it. Anyway, what happens is does not want to shift from 1st to 2nd. Neutral is between those gears on my bike, and instead of going to 2nd, it shifts into Neutral. If I shift back down and try again, I can somtimes get it to shift correctly.

My friend fixed it once before (temporary fix), by tightening the "shifting linkage nut". That did work, but it didn't last.

I'll add a pic of what he tightened. What I want to know is if I buy the shifting lever and all the linkage down there (not the rod though), will that fix it? Any help welcomed. I really can't find ANYTHING on the web about this happening.

Oh well, I can't add pics

I'll keep trying though.

One of the first things I did on my TTR's is throw away the whole linkage deal and put on a regular shifter.  It should solve your problem.  Either IMS or BBR.  

Thank you, but I'm not sure what a regular shifter is! Would that involve replacing the rod also? I'm not against it, I just wanna know.

Ok, I just googled it, from what I saw, you just put the shift lever straight on the rod. Is that right?
I like it. Thank you!

If you look closely at the shifter, you can see what I mean.  This is a BBR shifter.  I'm not sure why they use a linkage, it's way to complicated and doesn't work that well. 

2006_0716TTR0003.JPG

• Like 1

Update: socalxr's recommendation worked great! Got a bbr shifter ($45 on ebay), threw it on the day I got it, and haven't had the problem since(it's been 2 months so far).
Shifts way crisper, and haven't had slippage yet!

• Like 1