Transmission fill level question

Recently, had my 2016 crf450X professionally rebuilt. Today I checked the trans fluild level by removing the 'check bolt'. According to the manual, "Remove the check bolt, and a small amount of oil should drip out". ....There was about a pint of oil that came out!! So, did the mechanic overfill or is there something else that I'm not aware of?

Thanks

It's a good idea to run a full quart in the tranny side. That's the excess that came out I'll bet

• Like 1

Honda had a problem with oil getting to the upper gears on earlier models and Many would run a full quart in the tranny. You don't need to do this anymore this Honda added a oil channel in the shaft and gears, but it's not going to hurt really. You might be have a little extra clutch drag and some additional foaming.

Jim

• Like 2

I have an 05 so jot sure what has changed over the years I know a full quart on my is totally acceptable

38 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Measure out how much oil you place into the transmission vice using the check bolt. You'll save the mess and won't strip the threads either. 

tryin' to get this , cus it makes sense, but not following

As long as it didn't hurt my baby, w/ a $2,500 breast enhancement (rebuild) we are good! thanks for.

Answer: Check bolt is a good indication, mechanic was thinking old school. (agree?)

25 minutes ago, CraigN said:

tryin' to get this , cus it makes sense, but not following

Some riders refill their transmission by pouring a bottle into the clutch area and wait for it to overfill and push out through the check bolt. Leave check bolt alone and just measure it out before pouring in the transmission oil. 

• Like 2

you realize I'm a amateur mechanic? (cost me more) lol  'splash'?

Edited by CraigN

book calls for 700cc,just below the ck plug has 750 stamped on the case. I put 750cc in but I have heard of some putting in a full quart without any issues. You might give the shop a call.

• Like 1

I have an 05 so jot sure what has changed over the years I know a full quart on my is totally acceptable

Shaft and gear mods were done in '07 I believe (might be '08).

Jim

Ya I'm not sure what the difference is but I run a full quart in mine on the trans side