Chain life

How long do you guys keep a chain?  I'm at almost 6,000 miles on hi quality vx2 chain, heard some squeeking. 

Checked it, no stretch at the rear spricket, no damage o ring's I could see, and when squirter with hair lube noise went away.  A couple stiff but not overly so links..

Lot of street traffic miles some hard dirt.

Thanks 

i change my chain every 2 years,,sometimes three,,worn out or not,i do a lot of hard dirt miles ..

a lot of people watch the adjustment and when you start having to adjust the chain a lot they change them,,

I don`t wait that long,i call it the expense of dirt riding out in the middle of nowhere insurance..

But I seem to be one of the few that clean and lube my chain properly,some think a sealed chain requires no lubricration

not sure where the  idea that o-ring/x-ring chains never needing proper maintenance ever came from..:rolleyes:

B

Edited by brianhare
  • Like 4

I managed about 15,000 out of the original chain.  My KTM, with a 530 chain, is still good at 22,000 miles.

Quality O-ring and X-ring chains can last a long time if you take care of them.

i change my chain every 2 years,,sometimes three,,worn out or not,i do a lot of hard dirt miles ..
a lot of people watch the adjustment and when you start having to adjust the chain a lot they change them,,
I don`t wait that long,i call it the expense of dirt riding out in the middle of nowhere insurance..
But I seem to be one of the few that clean and lube my chain properly,some think a sealed chain requires no lubricration
not sure where the  idea that o-ring/x-ring chains never needing proper maintenance ever came from..:rolleyes:
B

Insurance and safety. I just installed my DID VX2 520 on my '09 XR650L at 10000k. The VX2 chain was expensive but worth it in the long run. Sure don't want a cheap chain breaking and piling up and jamming the rear tire at highway speed.

Psh, I just use a chameleon auto luber and use 80w-90 and be damned about my messy sidewall on the tire :)