2005 cr125 exhaust valve?

How do I know if it is working. Just rebuilt a 2005 cr125 and there is some hesitation when you get on it. It feels like carb but wondering how I can tell if exhaust valve is working. I haven't gone through the carb yet as my son was anxious to try it out but some numbskull tightened up the carb screwe real tight and they are stripped so I've got to deal with that

If it is a simple jetting problem, such as a clogged pilot jet, this will cause a low end hesitation.  Usually a lean pilot jet circuit will cause the engine to "die" or "cut-out", but clears up as you apply more throttle.  You can correct this by increasing the pilot jet size.  

Also, make sure you are in the proper RPM range for your application.  Too low of a RPM will also cause the engine to lag or stall out.  This usually can not be fixed with jetting, just better engine RPM management.  

For your stripped out carburetor top screws or reed cage screws , check this thing out - Vampire Pliers - Vampliers .  I thought it was a gimmick when I received our first order.  Then one day, I had a mikuni fuel pump screw that a customer rounded off to the point of being a tamper proof bolt.  I dug in the box and grabbed these things, and had the screw loose in about a few moments.

They work great on the small and soft screws found on the carbs, intakes, and reed cages.