Buying used bike. Have $3500. What to get?

Hi all, first time posting. Have read many, many posts. 

Im buying a used bike and have maximum $3500 to spend. What should I get?  Last bike I owned was a 96 rm250. Bought bikes for my kids beginning of last season now looking for mine. I'm 40yrs old I used to race motocross (novice) but have been out of the scene for 15 years. Plan on riding with the kids and occasionally hitting a track. Torn between 2 stroke & 4 stroke & year & mfr. thanks in advance for opinions. 

You can get an awfully nice bike for $3500, lots of options. If you're riding with kids (I assume slow-ish, waiting type thing when I hear "kids"), the YZ might not be right. Just as a 450 race bike wouldn't. I like the "tuneability"  of bikes like KTM's with adjustable power valves for a 2t, or 4t wr, xc,xcx. You have a nice problem, good luck.

• Like 1

Nice 4T 250s available in your price range. Pick your color. FI is nice and easy. Second bike can be a YZ250, which will then become your first bike.

You guys are nailing this right on the head. My kids are beginners and pretty slow still. This last season I got them riding and shifting. My son is just getting air under the tires and thinks he's clearing a triple. Which is just awesome to see. 

Im having a hard time finding a yz250. They either need to be rebuilt or have been so tricked out they want $5k for them. I've only ridden one 4t and it was a 08 crf450. Awesome bike that is in the price range but I'm not sure on the 4t maintenance since I've only worked on 2t. I'm a big dude I think a 4t250 would be too small. But have never ridden one. 

Thanks for the advice. 

That '08 Honda is widely considered one of the best ever. I've got an '07 and love it. Maintenance on them is no worse than any other bike, until you have to start replacing valves and such. Key is oil changes, air filter. Especially air filter. I trail ride mine, and it's  fantastic, but not the right bike if you have to wait on people. They tend to over heat, then become hard to start. That said, if you can swing it, get it and hold on to it. Research "'08 Honda 450r" and see what pops up. On topic, a KTM 300/250 XC, or XC-w would probably be ideal since you're a big guy. They lug like crazy, don't mind going slow.

Yz250 2 stroke. Behind that kx250, I'd put rm250 as second but haven't ridden one and not sure if parts are plentiful.

If you gotta have 4t then a jap 450. Pick a color.

You guys are nailing this right on the head. My kids are beginners and pretty slow still. This last season I got them riding and shifting. My son is just getting air under the tires and thinks he's clearing a triple. Which is just awesome to see. 
Im having a hard time finding a yz250. They either need to be rebuilt or have been so tricked out they want $5k for them. I've only ridden one 4t and it was a 08 crf450. Awesome bike that is in the price range but I'm not sure on the 4t maintenance since I've only worked on 2t. I'm a big dude I think a 4t250 would be too small. But have never ridden one. 

Thanks for the advice. 

From a maintenance and cost perspective, a 2T is much easier to maintain and cheaper then a 4T. But for a experienced rider a 4T outshines a 2T in ever aspect on the track.

@ThrustWasher

not in a 250 vs 250, there's tracks that favor each but truly skilled would be faster on 250 2t. 250 2t vs 450 would be different story, but still lap times would be close, at that point pick whatever one you enjoy. Neither you or I are going to be a pro.I have both a 250 2t and 450 and I reach for the 250 2t every time I go ride, but that's me. Obviously there's people that prefer a 450

most tracks all 3 250-4, 250-2, and 450-4 are within maybe 1-3 seconds of each other during mag tests

trail riding singletrack il take a 250 2t hands down. Flickability is priority for me. 

[mention=465426]ThrustWasher[/mention]

not in a 250 vs 250, there's tracks that favor each but truly skilled would be faster on 250 2t. 250 2t vs 450 would be different story, but still lap times would be close, at that point pick whatever one you enjoy. Neither you or I are going to be a pro.I have both a 250 2t and 450 and I reach for the 250 2t every time I go ride, but that's me. Obviously there's people that prefer a 450

most tracks all 3 250-4, 250-2, and 450-4 are within maybe 1-3 seconds of each other during mag tests

trail riding singletrack il take a 250 2t hands down. Flickability is priority for me. 

Motocross action tested the 250 2T against 250 4T a few years ago on different tracks with their pro test riders, 250 4T won every test easily.

Been seeing some nice 4t 250's in my range. Do you guys think one could pull my   220lb ass around. Ive seen the 2t vs 4t 250 write ups. But I'm betting the riders are 150lb tops. I'd love to ride one though and try it. 

When I rode my buddies 08 cr450 he also had his 02 cr250 2t out that day. Rode them back to back and I could go either way. Both bikes had their positives. I'll probably just go with the best of either I can find for the cash. 

Anyone in so cal with one to sale? Haha

@ThrustWasher

on every test? Was it the one where they pitted the works 250f versus the budget 250 2t? Somehow I doubt that. I could see it beating on a close quarters track with hardpack. But youre saying a 250f is faster than a 250 2t no matter the track? I doubt that.i want to see that article.

[mention=465426]ThrustWasher[/mention]
on every test? Was it the one where they pitted the works 250f versus the budget 250 2t? Somehow I doubt that. I could see it beating on a close quarters track with hardpack. But youre saying a 250f is faster than a 250 2t no matter the track? I doubt that.i want to see that article.

I honestly dont remember what bikes it was.

12 hours ago, Throwingpigeon said:

Been seeing some nice 4t 250's in my range. Do you guys think one could pull my   220lb ass around. Ive seen the 2t vs 4t 250 write ups. But I'm betting the riders are 150lb tops. I'd love to ride one though and try it. 

When I rode my buddies 08 cr450 he also had his 02 cr250 2t out that day. Rode them back to back and I could go either way. Both bikes had their positives. I'll probably just go with the best of either I can find for the cash. 

Anyone in so cal with one to sale? Haha

it will pull you no problem. I'm 270 with gear and ride a kx 250f. I do mostly east coast singletrack though. I wouldn't have bought it if I was riding more faster terrain regularly.

@Throwingpigeon

no but that one is a good read. 

I believe the one @ThrustWasher was talking about came out a year ago, they pitted a 250f vs 250 2t.

they poured about 10 thousand bucks into a high dollar 250f engine, and put it against a low buck 250 2t that was nearly stock. They both made almost the same hp. Sort of an unfair comparison, just look at the dollars spent on building a full tilt 250f vs a 250 2t they put about a pipe and a cheap port job on. The reason they did it that way is because at some amateur races you can now race a 2502t vs 250-4. The 250f was meant to represent the rich kid who was going to try to go for pro, hence the massive budget spent. The 2 stroke was to represent your weekend warrior on a budget that wants to race, hence the low $$ spent. Unfair comparison, but I get where they were going. Spend the $$ on a two stroke and see what you get, but you'll need the talent to boot to handle a 50+ hp 2t. 

The 250f did really good(duh, look at the $$ they dropped on it) since it was easier to ride and a bit more tractable. The two stroke had the potential to be faster but their test riders were more consistent on the more forgiving 4t. Hardpack tighter tracks can favor the 4t, open or loamy tracks will favor the 2.

A 250f in that state of tune is probably good for 15hrs at most(if that)Nobody can really afford that engine built like that, unless you're sponsored or got money to burn. That was for dudes who are looking to be a pro, where pro mx they're next move would be on a works 250f, so showing you race on one and winning would be good. They're probably right in that regard.however it took that amount of money to basically equal a 250 2 stroke with barely any $ spent.

that was the only article I've read where a 250f had good chance at winning over a 250 2. In my opinion it was unfair, but I'm not the judge of the world. But I can say if you spent the same money on both the 2 stroke will be faster in almost all conditions, given you got the talent to ride it. That article you posted proves it. So does pro racing, that's why a 250 2 stroke can't race against a 250 4 at the pro level. The 2 would whip the 4, in short. Most of the time.stock for stock (or level playing field scenario)the story is the same too.

there I basically wrote the article for you lol. I'm sure I just stepped on some toes with my opinion.

If you're stuck putting with the kids the fours strokes can have overheating issues. 

A 2t will not and with half decent jetting run just off idle all day. 

• Like 1

On 2017-06-06 at 5:18 AM, ThrustWasher said:

Motocross action tested the 250 2T against 250 4T a few years ago on different tracks with their pro test riders, 250 4T won every test easily.

Well, in Australia and Canada where you compete 250 4t against 250 2t - the 2t slaughter the factory teams to the point you cant even mod your 2 stroke anymore and if you place within like top 5 in a season you are not allowed to ride it for the next.

Pick whatever you like. 

• Like 1

Well ended up picking up an 08 crf450r for $2900. Before buying I looked over the bike best I could and everything seemed to be in great shape.  Started up easy and sounded good. After a short test ride i felt the idle was a little high. I told the seller and he adjusted it slightly. Everything seemed great. I bought it. 

Brought home and fired it up about 2hrs latter. Started first kick. All good. Once warm I went to dial the idle in a little more and the bike seemed to start overheating. Or at least large amounts of radiator fluid start spilling out of the over flow tube. WTF? Any thoughts guys? I'm hoping I didn't buy a lemon. Bike didn't do this as I was test riding or as the bike was sitting at idle at the previous owners house. 

Thanks guys. 

IMG_3882.JPG

• Like 1