Not one, but two, trips over the bars today, now I need a new . . .

. . . throttle tube.  

I ordered the G2-NOT the throttle tamer-if anything, I almost went with a quick-turn throttle tube to get faster response out of the motor, but no, I got the stock G2 aluminum throttle tube off the American Beta website for $69.99 on account of me going over the bars twice, both times on the throttle-side and I busted the throttle-tube.  

Thankfully the bike still works and I didn't even get a bruise either time.  Want to hear the story?  

I was doing slow circles near the trailer while waiting for my nephew in -law to get himself ready, for some reason, while I was leaned way over doing slow sort of donuts/fishtails, I somehow forgot to pull the clutch in while I was braking and turning and the bike went down on the throttle and it put me over the bars.  Thankfully I was going so slow and was already very low to the ground that I didn't get hurt at all.  The throttle tube got a dent in it though, this was just the start of lame-o-crash day.  

The second dump I was going downhill and hay was laid all over the downhill corner to tame the mud from all the rain this spring, I braked too hard on the front and the front end just washed out as if I was on ice, bike lowsided, again, on the throttle and I did a nice somersault onto my right shoulder but thankfully, again, no pain, just more damage to the throttle tube and the grip.  Now the last 1 1/2" is bent down at an angle from the tube being smashed off.  I had to take an 8mm socket to loosen the throttle off the handlebar to get all the dirt that got into the gap between the handlebar and the throttle tube-out as it was all gritty.  

I ordered a new G2 aluminum throttle tube and just need to get a set of new grips although I might be able to, no, I'm going to get a new set of grips for the new tube.  

Funny as I remember many, many times busting up throttle tubes from all the past antics but never got around to ever getting an aluminum tube.  I'll be happy with the durability of the AL tube once I get it on the bike.  I am loving the fly by wire of the FI as I don't have to worry about either lubing a clutch or a throttle cable.  All I have been doing is just putting gas in the bike, and I've lubed the chain twice now.  

I have almost 500 miles and about 23 hours.  I still get some weird behavior out of the FI as sometimes the bike will start idling really high, other times really low and I'll have to shut the bike down and restart it and then it all goes away and runs perfectly.  At least the weirdness is not long-lasting at all and an on-off of the bike solves the problem every time.  Another ride in the morning tomorrow before we leave to get back home after lunch.  

I will say, I'm tired right now and am almost ready for bed, but will be ready to ride more in the morning for sure.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S

Umm, there's no clutch cable but there is a throttle cable, no fly by wire on any dirt bikes that I know of.  Glad you didn't get hurt.

• Like 3

Funny because a majority of my "off's" since getting my Beta have been 2mph or stopped. GO to put foot down and there is a hole, lean to wrong side on sloped hill, etc.

Glad you are ok....in the end just a throttle tube for two offs isn't too bad.

Greg

there most definitely is a throttle cable. you did notice the black thing coming out of the throttle housing going down to the throttle body?

And that is why I always use full wrap hand guards. Well, one of the reasons anyways.

• Like 1

I got the G2 aluminum throttle tube installed, no tamer, just the stock twist.  I will, though, consider the faster response sometime.  

I now have the cracked throttle tube, with the grip still on it, as a spare.  If I ever crush the aluminum one, it won't be good but I think that the aluminum tube should hold up.  The new tube is nice as the delrin bushing it rides on, right under the thumb is smooth, not ball bearing smooth, but a lot smoother than the plastic tube riding on the handlebar.  

I also got to break my clutch-side mirror.  Dumb me, I didn't fold them in as I forgot that I even could until just now, a day too late, oh well.  Live and learn.  Now to source a new mirror.  I might get a doubletake mirror or just another Beta mirror and fold them in from now on.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S