Rear shock install problems

So I finally got the part in to replace my rear shock bearings. Got everything put in and now I cannot get the shock back on. It seems like the new bushings or rubber seals are wider than the ones that were in there. Been working on this for a day now and busted 2 knuckles open. Tried a band clamp to hold it together bit still too wide. anyone else had this issue?

Is it a part problem or am I the problem?

Thanks for the input

4 hours ago, liv2ride626 said:

It's an 00 with pds. I ended up trimming the rubber seals with a razor blade and after and was able to muscle it in...3 hrs later. But I was able to ride yesterday and that's all that matters!

Did you see my post?  You're not supposed to use the rubber seals.  If you forced it together it will create other issues.

• Like 1

Did you see my post?  You're not supposed to use the rubber seals.  If you forced it together it will create other issues.

What issues might it cause? What about the issue of not having a seal? Not trying to argue, just trying to clarify.

4 hours ago, liv2ride626 said:

What issues might it cause? What about the issue of not having a seal? Not trying to argue, just trying to clarify.

The seal is the brass ring with the rubber lip.  The rubber seal is used on other makes I assume.  If you look at the oem KTM parts fiche this rubber seal isn't there, I assume All Balls seal kits fit multiple makes and models.  With that said, I assume you're talking about the bearing on top of the swingarm )Heim)? 

It will put extra pressure on all the parts that are stressed as it was forced in.  Premature wear on the bushings/bearings, etc.

And as a general rule if you need to cut, or alter a new part to fit it likely isn't the right part, or in the correct order.  I fought my bike in the same way you did, once I realized the rubber was an extra piece and removed it, it all slid together properly.  

The fiche shows the bearing, the seals and a 2 piece bushing, did you install more parts than shown?  

Maybe I misunderstood, not trying to argue, just trying to be helpful.

image.jpg

Edited by poldies4

The seal is the brass ring with the rubber lip.  The rubber seal is used on other makes I assume.  If you look at the oem KTM parts fiche this rubber seal isn't there, I assume All Balls seal kits fit multiple makes and models.  With that said, I assume you're talking about the bearing on top of the swingarm )Heim)? 

It will put extra pressure on all the parts that are stressed as it was forced in.  Premature wear on the bushings/bearings, etc.
And as a general rule if you need to cut, or alter a new part to fit it likely isn't the right part, or in the correct order.  I fought my bike in the same way you did, once I realized the rubber was an extra piece and removed it, it all slid together properly.  
The fiche shows the bearing, the seals and a 2 piece bushing, did you install more parts than shown?  
Maybe I misunderstood, not trying to argue, just trying to be helpful.

image.jpg.618466e1798f70c6390debeceaf3cef3.jpg

I should have been clearer, it is the upper bearing/ bushing that I was having issues with. The lower went in super easy.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, liv2ride626 said:

I should have been clearer, it is the upper bearing/ bushing that I was having issues with. The lower went in super easy.

Lol, how about that!  

It's an 00 with pds. I ended up trimming the rubber seals with a razor blade and after and was able to muscle it in...3 hrs later. But I was able to ride yesterday and that's all that matters!

Too much grease behind spacers could be the problem? I had to use a c clamp one time.