Sign in to follow this  

2010 crf250 Athena big bore kit cold start issues

I have a 2010 crf250 with a 280 Athena kit fitted. I have major starting problems only when the bike is cold. At least 30 to 40 kicks. When the bike has warmed up first kick every time.

Valves checked and in spec, along with new fuel filter and air cleaner, new cam chain, big bore kit has 10hours on it. Had the bike since new and live on the north coast of NSW, Australia no more than 100m above sea level. The ECU is still standard (on the advice of Athena in the kit). Someone has said that the decomp in the head needs to be modified to reduce the time the valve stays open?

I have tried to resolve the issue myself with no luck, I would appreciate your suggestions. Thankyou in advance for your responses.

I have found that the larger displacement bikes need more fuel added to the mapping. Not a ton for a 280 but a little goes a long way to aid in starting and overall operability and power generation. Have you pulled the plug to see if you are lean?

• Like 1

Plug colour is good, thanks for the reply, have you heard about the decompression mod?