2014-17 450/500exc

I never really engaged with the 300 exc and im looking at going back to 4-strokes.Im looking for a bike to do it all,motocross,single trail,explore the backroads.Im pretty much dialed in on the 450/500 exc.

Im interested in what are the differences between the years?Money/budgetwise im really liking  2014-2015 ,but I could maybe stretch for a low hours 17 model.Im reading that the 2017 model is alot lighter than the previous years,is this really noticeable and do you think it is worth the 3500 more in cost?

Its not all about weight, but long term longevity and function for some, if you put the kick start and battery on the 17, there would be only a 2 to 3 pound difference afterwards.  You get inside of what the changes were to achieve that 2 to 3 pounds, and it may not sound so great.  Just look to the suspension guys who think KTM lost their mind ,  cheaping the supension for weight.

The 2012 model began the best performing(best design), longer lasting motors ktm has produced, they refined that base model, over the next 4 years , so yeah 14 and 15 were 3 and 4 year revisions. In 16 all they could do was cut metal off the forks, which some might consider a set back in abuse potential, but other wise everything else is the same.

The 17's they compacted and thinned the motor more, possibly to the edge for weight savings, Im not even sure if a 15 tooth cs will fit on a 17, and reduced oil capacity, and made it more difficult to correct the epa crap.

Im pretty much a Honda guy when it comes to setting the reliability Bar and quality of design( when Honda (wants to) they are masters of design reliability), but I can say, Ive definitely been pleased with the ktm 2015 motors longevity and performance, yes there was some cheesy chassis stuff to upgrade and protect, chain sliders, skid plates.  As Im pushing towards 600 hours, on an untouched motor, with not drop of oil burn, this is very good, especially after shelling out 11 grand. In that regard the ktm has come though with shining colors.

This goes to show you, just because labled a race motor, doesn't mean it has to fail every 100 hours or need to be rebuilt. I run this motor through woods , rocks including high rpm motard applications, extremely versatile.

17 KTM is a winner, I own the 15 300 xcw and love the 2 str but needed better range and street leagal so I purchased the 17 500. when first took out for a ride I was disappointed but after a gearing change 52 th and ECU adjust and TPS adjust this new bike is my new favorite

I own a '15,'16&'17 all 500 EXC. 

You cannot go wrong with the years you are looking at. Like with most bikes, get the newest one you can afford.

7 hours ago, Dr.Crankenstien said:

Like with most bikes, get the newest one you can afford.

really? I don't think so...

My opinion...for what its worth....get a 14 (main bearing upgrade) 15 or 16...proven reliability!! 

17 (again in my opinion)...not so much...weight saving at the expense of robustness...in my opinion.

Thanks for all the replies,the reason for a after 2014 bike is the bearing upgrade and longevity due to it.Seems like the 17 lightness and agility would be nice,but i can get a low hours 14-16 for alot less money and reliability wise they are a bit more proven than the new engine design.I also want the kick starter,I once crashed my sx450f and tore my elbows up really bad,the battery had failed earlier and I was stuck until help arrived due to not being ably to push start the bike with only one hand.

The bike can be ligthened with a lithium battery but I dont think I will bother.

14 minutes ago, gitenby said:

Quick question; what is this > 2014 bearing upgrade?

Its a different lower rod bearing, that extended the book maintenance interval about 35%, which is pretty substantial. That carries over to the 2017 also.

Also ,I was alittle concerned about no needle bearings in the piston wrist pin longevity wise, then discovered my post 100,000 mile sport bike has the same set up, so it must work.

• Like 1