Sign in to follow this  

More Tire questions ISO 90/10 Dual sport

I just spent the last hour searching online for information & reviews on different dual sport tires...Holy Crap, people love them, people hate them. Now I am completely confused

I am looking for a DOT front & rear tire, 90% off road 10 % on. 

Any thoughts

Common wisdom here is an MT-21 front and a D606 rear.  I have the D606 on the rear of mine and it's great in the dirt.  I have a TKC-80 on the front just because it isn't worn out yet and works well enough.  I like the D606 rear better than the TKC-80 rear on the street.

• Like 3

I just spent the last hour searching online for information & reviews on different dual sport tires...Holy Crap, people love them, people hate them. Now I am completely confused
I am looking for a DOT front & rear tire, 90% off road 10 % on. 

Any thoughts

I have Dunlop 606 on the front and back and they are great. Best tires I've used so far. I have 10K on my 09 xr650l and have tried some cheap brands and felt unsafe and unsatisfied. I was going through rear tires at about 3:1 compared to the front. The 606 is lasting the longest. I use my bike to commute to work which does equate to allot of highway miles. I'm sure if I rode more on the dirt the tires would last much longer but I'm still impressed non the less. I think I'm on my third season with them and I ride from May to October.
  • Like 1

I'm running Michelin T63 130/80-18 (wide tire but lower profile than most for lower seat height, and cheap) on back and Pirelli Scorpion Pro on front and like them a lot. Not sure how long they'll last...

606 and mt21 i would call more than 10% street, myself.

pirelli xcmh would be more dirt, without trying to kill you on the street.

• Like 1

Dunlop 606 has excellent traction and is long lasting.  Dot approved 90 Dirt/10 Street.  I would like to try some Mefo tires but would have to sell my first born to buy them $$$.

Installed some Dunlops yesterday. Got both tires delivered from Mortorcycle Super store for under $160.00. Got them put on the rims for $35 each. Seem to be a great tire so far.

pics 002.JPG

19 minutes ago, XR650L Honda said:

Installed some Dunlops yesterday. Got both tires delivered from Mortorcycle Super store for under $160.00. Got them put on the rims for $35 each. Seem to be a great tire so far.

Those aren't the more dirt-oriented D606.  I got a set of similar tread Shinko 705's for $108 shipped and it cost me $0 to get them installed, because I did it myself with a set of tire irons.  They're great so far too.

😉

7 hours ago, ScottRNelson said:

Those aren't the more dirt-oriented D606.  I got a set of similar tread Shinko 705's for $108 shipped and it cost me $0 to get them installed, because I did it myself with a set of tire irons.  They're great so far too.

;)

Exactly why I posted what I had. OP asked about 90-10's. Glad you had the initiative to install your own and I had the money. 

I hate it when I pay someone & then down road it goes flat. Since then, I learned to do mine own. And if it doesnt seem perfect, I do it over, and have had no problems since.

On 6/9/2017 at 10:57 AM, XR650L Honda said:

pics 002.JPG

Wait just one damn second. Is that a 100% stock XR? Who let you on this site? J/K LOL

3 hours ago, Todd00000 said:

Wait just one damn second. Is that a 100% stock XR? Who let you on this site? J/K LOL

Nope. Smog pump removed. Will do the carb and exhaust at the same time. Bike is only 9 months old and a daily driver.