Jump to content

Thumper Talk Demographic

Recommended Posts

 It just occurred to me that of all the web forums I frequent TT seems to contain a disproportionate amount of sophomoric. inane, and argumentative content. The other forums, both motorcycle and otherwise, certainly have their share of trolls and a$$holes, but nowhere near what I see here, particularly in this forum.  My ignore lists on other forums range from 0-3 while here I've got a full page, and counting.

 There is certainly good content here, but it takes quite a bit of sorting through the drivel to find it. I'm just wondering if it's an age demographic or what. Does anyone else notice this difference between this and other internet forums?

 As I read this it sounds like I'm trolling for an argument but that's not my intent, I'm just wondering if it's an age thing or what. I was once a young know it all, but as I've aged I've continually learned more about the extent of my own ignorance. Internet forums can provide a relief for some of that ignorance.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joined last October and until last week I only saw hints of what you're talking about. I was actually quite impressed overall with the threads I followed. My how things can change in a week! For a good time, go read the new thread that asks which pro riders use Recluse auto clutch. Starts out innocently enough, but by the time you reach the end you'll wanna smack your Momma and kick the dog. I did become suspicious about the age of some. At one point I tried to lighten the mood a bit, and then ultimately tried to help refocus the conversation and discourage trolling. Funny how you get drawn into these things. Next time I'll probably just report it and drop out. Feels like taking the easy way out, but in the end it's probably the best response and better serves us all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TT has a few distinct groups of members. Many are people who are too young to drive a car but they can have a dirt bike. Many of these people sell the bike at about age 17 to get a car or overly lifted pickup. A few, really love riding and continue. The next group is the guys that rode before they got the drivers license, now making enough money for fun stuff and buy a bike.  Still, you have the diehards who have been riding every day since age six. Then you get the 40+ guys, mid life crisis types. They ride a few times, way over their head, have a bad crash and post pictures of shattered clavicles. They also have the classified ad 'Fully worked 450 MX bike, never raced, dropped once....'

In all the groups, you have the know it all, that is actually clueless but convinced they know what they are talking about. They end up blowing the bike up, convinced X brand is garbage and never willing to admit they messed up. You have the smart guys that learn, grow and are a real asset to the community. Then we have the guy that thinks he is a pro racer and wants to know if he can ride with a broken spoke and if shimming the valves for the fifth time is 'OK'.

Most of the guys 99% on TT are good people. Some stick around, others move on to other pursuits. Like with everything in life, it is usually the problems (jerks) that people remember, not the good ones.

TT moderating staff try to maintain order. Half the time, people get mad at us. Half the time we are thanked. The moderating staff are well aware of that Recluse thread and working on it.  Funny you mention the age thing. I've found, some of the most courteous and decent people are the 14 YO kids (who behave like an adult) and the real jerks are the 40 year olds (who behave like bratty babies).

Another interesting thing is how things are month by month (seasonally) A lot of younger users at the end of June and all summer (school out). Every spring is is the 'my bike will not start' crowd that fail to take care of things (I just fired up my hand push lawn mower, last run in August, first pull, fired right up. I bought it in 1981). The fall is all about putting the bike away. December is Christmas money and 'why won't my over priced bike sell, I have to buy fuel for my lifted F350 P/U.'

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, William1 said:

TT has a few distinct groups of members. Many are people who are too young to drive a car but they can have a dirt bike. Many of these people sell the bike at about age 17 to get a car or overly lifted pickup. A few, really love riding and continue. The next group is the guys that rode before they got the drivers license, now making enough money for fun stuff and buy a bike.  Still, you have the diehards who have been riding every day since age six. Then you get the 40+ guys, mid life crisis types. They ride a few times, way over their head, have a bad crash and post pictures of shattered clavicles. They also have the classified ad 'Fully worked 450 MX bike, never raced, dropped once....'

In all the groups, you have the know it all, that is actually clueless but convinced they know what they are talking about. They end up blowing the bike up, convinced X brand is garbage and never willing to admit they messed up. You have the smart guys that learn, grow and are a real asset to the community. Then we have the guy that thinks he is a pro racer and wants to know if he can ride with a broken spoke and if shimming the valves for the fifth time is 'OK'.

Most of the guys 99% on TT are good people. Some stick around, others move on to other pursuits. Like with everything in life, it is usually the problems (jerks) that people remember, not the good ones.

TT moderating staff try to maintain order. Half the time, people get mad at us. Half the time we are thanked. The moderating staff are well aware of that Recluse thread and working on it.  Funny you mention the age thing. I've found, some of the most courteous and decent people are the 14 YO kids (who behave like an adult) and the real jerks are the 40 year olds (who behave like bratty babies).

Another interesting thing is how things are month by month (seasonally) A lot of younger users at the end of June and all summer (school out). Every spring is is the 'my bike will not start' crowd that fail to take care of things (I just fired up my hand push lawn mower, last run in August, first pull, fired right up. I bought it in 1981). The fall is all about putting the bike away. December is Christmas money and 'why won't my over priced bike sell, I have to buy fuel for my lifted F350 P/U.'

Well said:thumbsup: alot of witch bike is better or what provides racer doesn't do this or that. I try to help people out with my 20+ years of racing mx and learning and doing engines since 13 yearsold and didn't learn from internet.  Trial and error.  Yes most of the young kids on here are great and willing to listen.  I've only been on few months and learning alot myself their are some very knowledgeble guys on here :thumbsup: just can't stand the who's better than who crap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Well said:thumbsup: alot of witch bike is better or what provides racer doesn't do this or that. I try to help people out with my 20+ years of racing mx and learning and doing engines since 13 yearsold and didn't learn from internet.  Trial and error.  Yes most of the young kids on here are great and willing to listen.  I've only been on few months and learning alot myself their are some very knowledgeble guys on here :thumbsup: just can't stand the who's better than who crap. 

Thanks. I have found a majority (95%-probably 99%) of the members are all good guys, from klutsy trail riders to some pro riders. All mean well and just have the joy of riding.

I too, cannot stand the guys that want to ruin it for everyone else. Sadly, until they really cause trouble, we just have to ignore them. I get solace in knowing based on experience, that these guys eventually leave, either on their own or with help from the moderating staff.

BTW, if you hover your cursor over a users name, a window will popup. At the bottom of that window in the middle is a choice 'Ignore User'. Clicking on it will mean you never have to view their posts (unless it is quoted).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't really matter to me I'm not going to argue with anyone on here. They either listen or they dont. I like to help the kids out. With I had this kinda help as kid would've saved a few engines I'm sure lol i actually did go to school for it and one of my older bro's is a small engine instructor.  But I've learned most from hands on years of racing from novice to expert level :ride: many blown up broken bikes on the way lol  But ya there always will be someone who knows it all

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being that I get around several different genres of forums, I find TT to be the absolute mellowest, easiest to get along in, and least amount of BS, of about any out there. 

The Ducati forums are pretty much like the Harley Davidson forums. You have to constantly profess love for the brand name or "why are you even here?".

And you want to see some real s**t, go to the bicycle forums. Road bicycle forums are totally elitist, if you don't have at least $6k in your bicycle, you're a "poser". MTBR (mountain bike) forum is more clique than a bunch of middle school girls. If you have less than 1000 posts, everything you say is immediately subject to bashing. Something you say this week that is met by the response of being the stupidiest, most pathetic and least informed thing they ever heard, can be repeated next week by one of the "established" members, and is seen as total foot licking, ass kissing, words from God. They have the "good rep, bad rep" system, so it's rare to make it past 200 posts without being "bad rep" banned unless you just post grovel replies to the big people.

Believe me, TT is one of the best forums on the internet..:thumbsup:

 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Doesn't really matter to me I'm not going to argue with anyone on here. They either listen or they dont. I like to help the kids out. With I had this kinda help as kid would've saved a few engines I'm sure lol i actually did go to school for it and one of my older bro's is a small engine instructor.  But I've learned most from hands on years of racing from novice to expert level :ride: many blown up broken bikes on the way lol  But ya there always will be someone who knows it all

There is no greater teacher than holding a part in your bare hands, seeing how it was formed and how it fits. Appreciate them. 

I tell people wrenching is easy. If done right, the parts just fall into your waiting hands. If you are forcing it, you are not doing it right. Grace over might.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

Being that I get around several different genres of forums, I find TT to be the absolute mellowest, easiest to get along in, and least amount of BS, of about any out there. 

The Ducati forums are pretty much like the Harley Davidson forums. You have to constantly profess love for the brand name or "why are you even here?".

And you want to see some real s**t, go to the bicycle forums. Road bicycle forums are totally elitist, if you don't have at least $6k in your bicycle, you're a "poser". MTBR (mountain bike) forum is more clique than a bunch of middle school girls. If you have less than 1000 posts, everything you say is immediately subject to bashing. Something you say this week that is met by the response of being the stupidiest, most pathetic and least informed thing they ever heard, can be repeated next week by one of the "established" members, and is seen as total foot licking, ass kissing, words from God. They have the "good rep, bad rep" system, so it's rare to make it past 200 posts without being "bad rep" banned unless you just post grovel replies to the big people.

Believe me, TT is one of the best forums on the internet..:thumbsup:

 

 

Bite me, azz kizzer! ;)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I got back into dirt bikes about 4 yrs ago after a long time out ('86), a lot of my research directed me here. I made it clear I was not a mechanic, not a great rider ect., and was for the most part, made to feel welcome, and given excellent advice. In the last year, as I've been recovering from knee surgery, I've had a lot of time to be on here out of shear boredom, and the amount of bashing is unbelievable, and mostly by the same people. I've also noticed the absence of the guys that were the most helpful. Possibly sick of the crap? BTW, I'm in the 58y/o, and just want to ride demographic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this place a lot more when I stay out of Town Square and the Pro racing sub-forums. :thumbsup:

As for my demographics, I'm a mid fourties fat guy that was a hard-working but mostly untalented Enduro rider up until my late twenties when life got in the way of a lot of things. I am a professional wrench, and have worked in the MC industry, but I was out before the modern 4ts hit the market. Today I make my living by repairing industrial vehicles, many of which are obsolete and unsupported, so problem solving and creative solutions on mechanical and electrical stuff is second nature to me.

It's wrenching that brought me back into dirt bikes. Lots of neighborhood kids had Baja and similar crappy pit bikes, scooters and quads that no one would repair, until they found me. I found that they weren't all that challenging to fix, and kind of fun to play with, then I found the serious pit bikes.:ride: So that's why you may see a lot of me in the Chinese and pit bikes forums. I wouldn't be here without them, and don't hate them like so many here do.

My oldest kid is riding now, and the baby will be soon,  I'm hoping to spend some quality time riding with them in the near future, as well as getting real seat time on big bikes again.

 

 

Edited by HappyAndy
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This forum is a lot mellower than several I have been on. The worst part of this forum I have seen by far not even close is the Pro Racing sections. One would think they would have some sense but obviously not, they fight like a bunch of little girls on there.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure there are plenty of guys in my age/interest bracket: late 40s, enjoys riding with friends and family, read posts that seem interesting and avoid the nonsense. Plus I generally don't post much (yes, I know that makes this post ironic).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There certainly is those kind of people here, but many frequent ones who do actually try to help out. Some only hang in a certain brand forum, some all over. I try to be helpful most of the time, but I am subject to overly long posts and a few crappy uncalled for ones too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

Being that I get around several different genres of forums, I find TT to be the absolute mellowest, easiest to get along in, and least amount of BS, of about any out there. 

The Ducati forums are pretty much like the Harley Davidson forums. You have to constantly profess love for the brand name or "why are you even here?".

And you want to see some real s**t, go to the bicycle forums. Road bicycle forums are totally elitist, if you don't have at least $6k in your bicycle, you're a "poser". MTBR (mountain bike) forum is more clique than a bunch of middle school girls. If you have less than 1000 posts, everything you say is immediately subject to bashing. Something you say this week that is met by the response of being the stupidiest, most pathetic and least informed thing they ever heard, can be repeated next week by one of the "established" members, and is seen as total foot licking, ass kissing, words from God. They have the "good rep, bad rep" system, so it's rare to make it past 200 posts without being "bad rep" banned unless you just post grovel replies to the big people.

Believe me, TT is one of the best forums on the internet..:thumbsup:

 

 

 You're right about MTBR, that's one forum I did give up on completely. It wasn't a big loss though as pedaling was always a secondary hobby to me and I've kind of aged out of it anyway.  Dirt biking has been in my blood for nearly 50 years so I don't want to just go away.

 I regularly visit 4 motorcycle, 3 shooting, 1 Sprinter van, and one Arborist forums. Of those TT definitely contains the more sophomoric, bordering on infantile, content, as well as some very good stuff of course.

 Maybe I'll just stay out of the General Dirt Biking forum here, I don't go to the Pro Racing forum anyway.

Edited by motovita

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second bicyclist forums as being garbage. Right now the bicycle industry is going through a bunch of micro changes to little standards and it's certainly brought out the dickheads who think the most $$ spent and most current things are the best bikes ever and anything older than a year is garbage. I'm a decently serious mountain biker, and forums are nothing but a bunch crap talking, on pinkbike if you're not a known user expect people to skip your messages/comments like you don't exist. I suspect these are the people on carbon full suspension latest and greatest rigs who I then demolish on the trail down, which then give me the dirtiest look when I see them again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, motovita said:

 It just occurred to me that of all the web forums I frequent TT seems to contain a disproportionate amount of sophomoric. inane, and argumentative content. The other forums, both motorcycle and otherwise, certainly have their share of trolls and a$$holes, but nowhere near what I see here, particularly in this forum.  My ignore lists on other forums range from 0-3 while here I've got a full page, and counting.

 There is certainly good content here, but it takes quite a bit of sorting through the drivel to find it. I'm just wondering if it's an age demographic or what. Does anyone else notice this difference between this and other internet forums?

 As I read this it sounds like I'm trolling for an argument but that's not my intent, I'm just wondering if it's an age thing or what. I was once a young know it all, but as I've aged I've continually learned more about the extent of my own ignorance. Internet forums can provide a relief for some of that ignorance.

I think the issues you're speaking of are simply more noticable here because of the huge number of members and high volume of traffic.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like a little spice in my forums, even stupid stuff is sometimes funny. Just read what you like and laugh and shake your head at the rest. You don't have to respond to dummies.
This is by far the best dirtbike forum on the net.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea what the OP is talking about. These forums and the vast majority of the people here are great.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×