When is Yamaha going to get smart?

Yamaha is missing out on a fortune and it seems they are to dumb to know or to stupid to care! Or atleast that's my observation any way. They came out with the yz250x which is a great bike and the yz250 is one of the best selling bikes ever. But KTM just keeps making money hand over fist and Yamaha seems not to notice. It seems to me Yamaha has the ability to take the off-road market by storm and it wouldn't be that hard for them or expensive. They need to put e-start on the yz250x and they need a yz300x with e-start also. The kits have been out for years it would be super easy and cheap for Yamaha to do this and the 300 is probably KTM's best selling bike. The yz250 motor needs a little freashining up also. If you put a new pipe, silencer and better reeds in that old 10yr old motor it will run with the KTM's and Husky's. Yamaha still has the best suspension on the market after years of trying nobody has beat it yet. With there suspension, a motor freshening up and hell maybe throw on a hydraulic clutch they could really be in business. The could even make a couple with lighter suspension like the XC-W line for trail riders and it would be easy. The people at the top of Yamaha may be retarded! The reason I'm griping is I have ridin and bought only Yamaha my whole life. Now my boy is riding and racing and he thinks KTM/Husky is the only good bike out there and it pisses me off!lol I haven't had a bike the last few years but I'm buying a new one this year to ride with my son and after doing some research and looking them all over hell I can't hardly blame him you just can't hardly justify buying a Yamaha. Get your head out of your ass Yamaha!

• Like 4

Can you imagine a 2018 e-start yz300x with a freshened up motor and hydraulic clutch! That thing would nock the balls off KTM 300 sells and dominate hate scrambles all over the country. They couldn't make them fast enough.

• Like 4

They do start easy but e-start is faster and a lot of places in the woods it's a big advantage. Why would you spend all the money on aftermarket parts trying to make your bike faster? If your bike dies 2 or 3 times and you have to kick it a e-start would be faster right? It also saves energy! If you have a wreck on the trail and your bike bounces off a couple trees and is laying over there on its side getting flooded while your picking your self up and trying to come to your senses having to kick the shit out of it can wear you out.lol Faster is faster and saving energy is saving energy and they both win races.

• Like 2

When there is a lot of money to be made its a really bad business plan  not to care or to be to busy to make it. Besides that I don't believe for a minute that they have to much going on that's not how big business works. They have plenty of people and separate divisions over everything. The guy over dirt bikes just has his head in his ass and needs fired.

• Like 1

The lack of the e-start is why I wouldn't consider buying a 250X. I already have everything else modded into my old YZ, the button is all that's left. E-start wasn't a big deal until I broke my leg last fall. Now trying to get it to light up around a 16" Ti rod, a big bolt into my hip, and a bunch of screws, has made the magic button seem a lot more attractive. :thinking:

• Like 6

All Japanese bike manufacturers are missing out not just Yamaha - all i see now is a sea of Orange, which isnt a bad thing - KTM's make awesome machines but would be nice to see a few Japs thrown into the mix

• Like 2

The e-start is just one thing of many I was talking about. They could turn a yz250x into a yz300x real easy and cheap and it's the best selling bike KTM makes. They could then re-shock a 250 and 300 and make trail bikes like XC-W's real easy and cheap. The ground work is done it's already there just needs a little tweaking. They YZ needs freshened up too pipe, silencer, reeds and maybe even a hydraulic clutch. But the yz250 R&D was done 10yrs ago so it's been payed for for years so they are making a ton of money every time they sell one. Just think of the money they could have made the last 10yrs off the R&D they already had by just a little tweaking. Hell Yamaha had a WR250 2 smoker back in the 90's that was probably better than the 250x they have today atleast transmission wise.

Doesn't anybody on TT have a Yamaha neighbor? I mean there has to be some Yamaha reps... what do they do just put there hands in the air? Everybody would be telling them two things... drop freaking weight on your 4T and give us a E start YZ300X. Drop the 250x, no need for both.

11 hours ago, SonsRexspensive said:

They do start easy but e-start is faster and a lot of places in the woods it's a big advantage. Why would you spend all the money on aftermarket parts trying to make your bike faster? If your bike dies 2 or 3 times and you have to kick it a e-start would be faster right? It also saves energy! If you have a wreck on the trail and your bike bounces off a couple trees and is laying over there on its side getting flooded while your picking your self up and trying to come to your senses having to kick the shit out of it can wear you out.lol Faster is faster and saving energy is saving energy and they both win races.

A rekluse blows away an estart.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mrcribbs said:

A YZ350X would be nice though.

Now that's true!! 

16 hours ago, silent_matt said:

Yamaha has a lot more going on than dirt bikes. They don't care that you want e-start.

It seems that Yamaha don't care about 2 stroke bike sales. For them, it's a dead end.

What's stupid business is they decided this too early. 10 years ago, and in those 10 years KTM sold about million 2 strokes.

Beyond 2017, if these pollution/emissions laws keep getting tougher, which seems inevitable, then all 2 stroke loving trail riders might have a big problem.

The "new" transfer port injection system apparently wont burn clean enough and real direct injection systems are a heavy, expensive and complex.

The existing (future old) bikes will become more valuable - because they are so much fun to ride. Too much fun.

I've got a 2004 (steel frame) YZ250, with a 295 kit. The bike is crazy fun to ride on fast+tight single trail. Ergos/fit, handling and power.   It's a narrow, comfortable and balanced bike, with a front end traction and response that'll put you on just about any line you want.

• Like 2

I'm hoping that KTM's EFI is successful enough to make Yamaha decide to have a go at it too. While they're putting the battery in for the EFI, an e-start makes sense at that point. I'd like a 300, but if they had all that in a 250 I'd probably buy it. A hydraulic clutch would be sweet for sure, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if they skip it.

The only thing I don't like about KTM is the color and the price, (Husky solves one of those probems) but Yamaha quality is the best there is, so I'm sure if they sold this bike we're all talking about, it would be great and worth the price, which would still be less than KTM price. If they built this machine with a slightly less than KTM price they would have no problem selling all for MSRP, for at least the first year.

It seems to me that despite the fact that Yamaha hasn't changed the YZ in a decade, they still sell all that they ship over here. As a prospective YZ owner, that means plentiful and cheap parts and a great aftermarket, so it's not all bad, but yes, there is some very low hanging, juicy fruit that they are missing.

First of all, I would love to see a major freshening up of the two-strokes. I have the money saved up to buy a new bike next year and I want it to be blue. Realistically, I will probably end up waiting for the new 250F because I don't see a new 2 stroke coming. I would love to be wrong on this one. 

Unfortunately, I doubt there is a fortune to be made by cutting into sales of the orange two-strokes. In 2014, KTM and Husky sold a total of 181,000 bikes, street bikes included. Yamaha sold 5,800,000. KTM's two strokes are a rounding error in Yamaha's sales numbers. 

How are KTM's cruiser, ATV, home theater, power tool and musical instrument sales? Lackluster?

Ok, we've figured out why Yamaha is winning the war, even if they're losing the 2-stroke dirt machine battle.

BTW, anyone ever notice the Yammie logo is tuning forks?

Edited by swingset

A bunch of us complain about yammie doing very little on a 2s and in the same breath complain about ktm prices.  If you want the changes in your yzx to match ktm you will end up with ktm prices.  Be careful what you wish for.

the yzx is the deal of the century and has what one needs for 90% of the riders out there.  Is it dated?  yes.  Is it competitive still, yes.  Is it a good trail bike? yes.  Could some small changes from the factory make a big difference without breaking the bank?  yes.

Edited by Sycamore
  • Like 8

19 hours ago, SonsRexspensive said:

Yamaha is missing out on a fortune and it seems they are to dumb to know or to stupid to care! Or atleast that's my observation any way. They came out with the yz250x which is a great bike and the yz250 is one of the best selling bikes ever. But KTM just keeps making money hand over fist and Yamaha seems not to notice. It seems to me Yamaha has the ability to take the off-road market by storm and it wouldn't be that hard for them or expensive. They need to put e-start on the yz250x and they need a yz300x with e-start also. The kits have been out for years it would be super easy and cheap for Yamaha to do this and the 300 is probably KTM's best selling bike. The yz250 motor needs a little freashining up also. If you put a new pipe, silencer and better reeds in that old 10yr old motor it will run with the KTM's and Husky's. Yamaha still has the best suspension on the market after years of trying nobody has beat it yet. With there suspension, a motor freshening up and hell maybe throw on a hydraulic clutch they could really be in business. The could even make a couple with lighter suspension like the XC-W line for trail riders and it would be easy. The people at the top of Yamaha may be retarded! The reason I'm griping is I have ridin and bought only Yamaha my whole life. Now my boy is riding and racing and he thinks KTM/Husky is the only good bike out there and it pisses me off!lol I haven't had a bike the last few years but I'm buying a new one this year to ride with my son and after doing some research and looking them all over hell I can't hardly blame him you just can't hardly justify buying a Yamaha. Get your head out of your ass Yamaha!

Wow, completely clueless.

We don't need more KTM's, we have too many already. Not everyone likes tiny little flexy bikes with nothing but peak power....

Yamaha offers a product that no one else does, and it is the best for what it is.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, SonsRexspensive said:

Sounds like you just want a KTM, so get one, they are fantastic.

• Like 3