Jump to content

Does this cam look damaged

Recommended Posts

Does this cam look damaged? I bought a used one online but can't tell if it's good or bad. The right side doesn't feel perfectly smooth but yet it  doesn't feel scratched either. IMG_20170604_105313808.jpg.494413c60ce0ff260f283c01b437211a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it looks like it was run with dirty oil, but not oil starved, or it would have turned blue/black.

If you can catch your fingernail on the ridges, I would say it's worn out.

You could take off the high spots and then mic it to see if it is useable.....but I would just get a refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unrelated question but is it ok to have an engine run with different materials for the intake valves? like 2 titanium and one stainless?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, FatCowKiller said:

unrelated question but is it ok to have an engine run with different materials for the intake valves? like 2 titanium and one stainless?

It's a bad idea. Stainless valves use heavier spring kits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

once a steel valve has been installed can I replace it with a titanium one or does the valve seat need to be machined for the titanium one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anytime you fit new valves you need the seats cut to ensure it seals properly

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2017 at 10:36 AM, FatCowKiller said:

Does this cam look damaged? I bought a used one online but can't tell if it's good or bad. The right side doesn't feel perfectly smooth but yet it  doesn't feel scratched either. IMG_20170604_105313808.jpg.494413c60ce0ff260f283c01b437211a.jpg

It doesn't look too bad. If you can't feel it with your finger nail it should be ok however pictures can be deceiving.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, stevethe said:

It doesn't look too bad. If you can't feel it with your finger nail it should be ok however pictures can be deceiving.

 

That's what my ex wife said...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, is there a difference between stainless steel and titanium valve guides? The ones I have fit but I just swapped one valve from stainless to titanium and idk if they have different guides. And yes I did use the titanium spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FatCowKiller said:

Ok, is there a difference between stainless steel and titanium valve guides? The ones I have fit but I just swapped one valve from stainless to titanium and idk if they have different guides. And yes I did use the titanium spring.

They don't make titanium valve guides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to choose a antifreeze, all I know is that some pink stuff was in there before. I would like to know if this is safe to use for 04 we. As the manual only said 50/50 for aluminum and anti corrosion. I couldn't really find anything specific online and I'd hate to screw up the rebuild on the last thing I need to do.

IMG_20170616_211225769.jpg

IMG_20170616_211235848.jpg

Screenshot_20170616-152417.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I started it up for the first time after doing the rebuild. It started on the first kick and idled beautifully for a bit with the choke on. Once I turned the choke off it died immediately and now I can't get it started again. I've checked everything on this bike 100 times and the only thing I can think of was the air fuel mixture? but it ran with that jetting previously and I don't think that should prevent it from running? When I kick it I can hear it turning over like it wants to go but it just sputters and doesn't start. There was a lot of white smoke coming off the radiator but I think that was due to me previously spilling antifreeze and gasoline all over it from a few mishaps/eruptions. I'm afraid to start it again due to fear of causing internal damage, what should I do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clear the cylinder (kick through with the kill button held down and the throttle wide open) several time, and start it again, with the choke. Do not turn it of for at least a minute.

Turn the idle screw in while its warming up, to get a too-high idle.

Then push the choke back in. If it will not idle, you have a contaminated pilot circuit. The jet, the passage above the jet, the fuel screw, the fuel screw oring, or the body seal (meh) needs attention. Typically, the passage above the pilot is partially clogged due to a very sharp bend. Use solvent and fine wire to clear it out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I'll give it a try, I recently cleaned it but it hates me so maybe it clogged again. Thanks for putting up with all my annoying posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FatCowKiller said:

Ok I'll give it a try, I recently cleaned it but it hates me so maybe it clogged again. Thanks for putting up with all my annoying posts.

As described, your symptom is the pilot circuit. 
That could be the passage, the jet, the fuel screw passage, the fuel screw oring, or god forbid, the body seal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many rpms would be the goal for the idle screw? I have set for 4k with the choke on but It doesn't sound healthy going any higher for idle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×