Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 125 running issues

Hi I've recently bought a ktm 125 2005 the seller Told me its the Tyla Rattray edition, anyway it was low on compression and running crap so I replaced the piston and ring the barrel is in great condition and is only on the b sized piston.

Now that I've replaced it I took it for a ride and it was still low on bottom end power and was bogging/misfiring pretty bad so I replaced the spark plug(br9eix ngk iridium) it seemed to improve a little bit so I went to the track last week and as the day went on the bike was running worse and worse still bogging and misfiring before hitting the powerband, eventually the bike died and wouldn't start again so i took it home and went through all the basic stuff, it still had a strong spark, the spark plug was wet so it was getting fuel through, cleaned the carb, checked the reeds there wasn't any damage to the reed pedals. Anyway after all that and still not starting I decided to take it to the shop and left it with them and 10 minutes later they phoned to say it's fixed all they did was put a standard non iridium br9 plug in the bike it was fine! The guy who fixed it took it for a quick ride and said there isn't any problems with it and went on to tell me iridium plugs are rubbish and that's the only thing that was causing it so I took the bike back home and it does seem fine but it's really bugging me why it just cut out on the track and refused to start even though it was sparking strong. I'm going to the track next week and don't want the same thing to happen again so I'm looking for some advice as to what else could have caused that problem ? Thanks

think the plug fouled while using the br9eix?

Whats the spec plug for the 2005 ktm 125?

I run a br7es on my 2013 250 xc but I am trail riding so a hotter plug is good for me.  Maybe try a BR8 variety to see if the hotter plug will perform better?

People are also going to come on here asking your jetting specs so be ready to provide them:

-Mix ratio + type of oil used

-altitude you ride

-Jetting specs (all jets + type of needle + clip position)

• Like 1

People are also going to come on here asking your jetting specs so be ready to provide them:
-Mix ratio + type of oil used
-altitude you ride
-Jetting specs (all jets + type of needle + clip position)

I think it could just be the spark plug as it does run a lot better with the standard br9 in maybe I will try a br8 as there is still a little bit of boggyness in lower Revs but not half as much as when it had the br9 iridium, I mix my oil/petrol at 150ml to 5 litres and I use rock oil k2 plus synthetic.
As for the altitude I'm from the uk but don't know the altitude and I don't know anything about the jetting as I've not gone into that, don't really know much about the bike as I've not looked into it. Thanks