Bluetooth Communicator

anyone use a sena type communicator with your off road bike? was just wondering how they were mounting wise with an off road helmet and how they functioned in those conditions. and is there any way to remove it all and replace before/after a race? 

I have a set I use when riding with my kid. The communicator works good but really only has "line of sight" for range.

I use it to blue tooth music when I ride without the kid.

Weak point for off-road use is the flip up antenna would be easy to break. This could use a better design.

The helmet mount can be removed from your helmet with a couple set screws but not something you want to be doing regularly.

A buddy of mine just put me onto an intercom system for riding with the kids.

I bought the Sena SMH5 two pack and like them very much. Easy to use and mount up cleanly, plus they've taken a beating (water and branches) and haven't faltered.

This weekend I was working with my son on angled and elevated log crossing and the coms were an amazing training aid. Best part of the weekend was when he plowed through a puddle with his mouth open and forgot Dad could hear him. :D

They could be removed for a race, but over time the speakers velcro sticky back would wear out (replaceable though). The wires would also probably fatigue and break with frequent removals/installs.

• Like 1

Bought a sena smh10 dual pack for me and a riding buddy. Range is more than enough, battery life lasts me about a week (6hrs) on music mode. Sound quality is super crisp. Nothing bad to say about them except they're quite pricey. I bought mine with insurance money lol. Parts are replaceable if you smash it up somehow.

They're a lot more useful on a snowmo than motos ... on snow, we're not nose-to-tail on an established trail, so if someone disappears for a while, you know a general area but not their exact route.  Having a radio helps a lot when someone else is looking for you, especially in some of the places we ride (trees).

On the moto, good group management has always worked for me.  Go over a plan pre-ride, establish lead/sweep riders, stop and regroup at intersections, quick head-count and helmet-tap from everyone as an "OK i'm ready to go" then continue on.  If someone mid-pack has a problem, sweep is there to help out.  If sweep falls back, you know what trail they're on and they're not past the last intersection.

Very few guys I moto with carry/use radios.  Mine's usually on a network rather than a local simplex channel, if it's on at all. 

On snow, almost everyone carries one, and TX/RX is checked between the group when we're doing beacon checks. 

It's annoying enough when guys want to stop and chat for hours during the ride, I can't imagine having to listen to someone all day when i'm riding... :bonk:

Two avy instructors... both of us with radio speaker-mics on the shoulder...

i-pq4rX63-L.jpg

• Like 1