Those are arbitrary numbers. A lot depends on the actual conditions, rider ability, engine displacement, ect.

General rule is open fire roads, desert, you can run faster, cheeta gearing (say 15/45) over single track, billy goat gearing (say 13/50). But actual choices are what works best for you, not some other guy.

• Like 1

Final ratios aside, I read an article years ago about the diameter of the front sprocket.  If I read, understood, and remember it correctly, the larger diameter of the front sprocket can increase your rear traction.  I think it had to do with the taller pulling point of the front sprocket tooth against the chain, causing the rear arm to plant the rear tire harder. 

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED
spelling
  • Like 1

Great replies all! I am moving to north central CA. Lots of farm roads, levy roads, almost all flat except for levy climbs.. Maybe some sand and mud holes.. I ride a 2001 300exc, right now it's really low geared as I top out at about 55mph, I had a 99 250 exc that i rode in new mexico. That had a wider ratio, i was regularly hitting 75+. Anyone play around in yuba/sutter/yolo/butte? 

Edited by theBIGnaud
order