06 450f losing coolant

Traded for an 06 450 the other day. Guy said it was leaking coolant at the weep hole by water pump so I thought no big deal. However he said there was no coolant in it at the time so when I got it home I threw some water in just to fire it up make sure it runs. Well good news is the bike ran. However I noticed the oil level in the window rose after I added water. So I was thinking a bad head gasket. I pulled the head cover off and there is coolant in where the cams are sitting. Is this for sure a bad head gasket? I also pulled the impeller and it looks brand new as well as the seal behind the impeller. I just want to make sure before I go any further. Any help would be appreciated. 

looks like he replaced the water pump seals and discovered it didn't fix the problem so wanted to move the bike on by saying it has a simple leak,yes you have a blown head gasket,could be other issues as well,hopefully you have flushed all the oil several times till it runs clear and have drained the coolant,water in your oil left for a long time will ruin bearings and coatings etc

There are 2 seals on your water pump. 1 behind weep hole cavity (oil seal) along with a bearing behind that. And 1 in front of weep (water). Worn bearing and or pump shaft could allow new seals to leak. Just things to check along with head gasket. Also I'm told there is older style impeller without hole in body (to relieve pressure against seal). I believe the hole is on 06 and up....

Thank you guys for the reply's.  I got it all stripped down. Just need to remove cams and the head now. Will be doing that sometime this week. Hopefully that is as far as I will have to go with it. I will most likely just do the head gasket and water pump gasket. Hopefullt that solves my problems. 

I would suggest pulling the cylinder off and replacing the piston while you are at it too.

I thought about that as well. Seeing as this is my first official top end rebuild I will be doing solo, I was kind of leery of taking off the jug  and messing with the piston. I just know the bike is legit. Pro circuit suspension all the way around, pro circuit triple clamps, pro circuit cams , full pro circuit exhaust. Im hoping the more i tear into the motor the more aftermarket goodies show up haha. I just upped my tool game to the next level so hopefully I can get some time in the next few days to take the cams and head off. 

Well unfortunately I made a rookie mistake. Took the cam chain tensioner out before I made sure it was at tdc.  I believe the chain slipped off the gear on the bottom. Any suggestions? Should I pull the left case cover off and get the chain back on properly, then install tensioner and time it to tdc? Or is there another way around this problem? 

You don't need to re fit tensioner as long as you can be sure you rotate the piston to TDC and check it is there,if you have slipped off the bottom gear then you will need to take cover off and flywheel to get it back on,just make sure the flywheel is lined up with the marks and when you go to fit the cams again line them up as per the manual,count the pins in between etc and then fit tensioner last of all and re check timing marks still line up,the key is to make sure the piston is at TDC before trying to time the cams again

Right on thank you man. Been at it for almost 3 hours now. Got the head off. Piston is at the top. I will try to add picture but the piston looks like it's in rough shape. Lots of carbon build up on top. Looks like Im gonna end up doing the whole top end. As far as I can tell the chain is still on the bottom sprocket. Was just skipping on the cams due to no tension. 

I do have a question however. When Im looking in the timing hole for the little Mark on the flywheel. I get it lined up but it seems there is some play because it turns back to the left after I let go of the cam chain. Is this just because there is no tension? 

Ok ok another rookie mistake was made. So I picked the head up to get a look at the valves and I guess I tilted it a little to much and one of the valve caps fell to the floor and another one almost fell out. So after I figured out what they were I noticed that the two intake valves have shims and one of the exhaust valves has a shim. The cap that actually hit the floor is the only one missing a shim. I am assuming that is not right. I looked on my hands and knees and even used a telescopic magnet and ran it across my floor but there is no shim to be found. Is it normal to shim only one exhaust valve? Sorry for the dumb questions but wanna make sure everything is right before I start ordering parts. 

20170606_193847.jpg

Edited by Richard Stone

There will be a shim above every valve. You've got to find that shim, it might have fallen down the motor where the timing chain is. If you don't find it you'll have to re shim it and it's a pain if you have no reference as to what size shim was in there.

Also, when the cam tensioner isn't installed there will be play in the cams when you roll the engine back and forth. When setting the timing you need to take up the slack of the chain on the front side of the engine to verify that the timing is correct before you install the tensioner. If you take up the slack on the tensioner side first the timing could be off a bit when you install and set the tensioner.

Is the missing shim still on top of the valve?

No it's not on top of the valve. I had the head off the motor already when the shim bucket fell out. I was hoping I can just measure the shim that's on the other exhaust valve and put in the same size shim on the valve that's missing the shim. 

That would be the best place to start. Install the shim in the spot where you lost one and bolt the cam in place with the head off and check the clearance. It should get you in the ballpark, but you'll most likely have to get a few sizes of shims (unless you have a shim kit) to get it spot on after the head it reinstalled.

Believe it or not I found the missing shim. Haha sucker must have bounced because it was sitting on top of the couch I have in the room im working in.. Crazy. Time to order parts. Haha.  Got any suggestions on where to order the parts. I looked on bike bandit but I didn't see the water and oil seals that go behind the impeller. 

Edited by Richard Stone