XR200 damper rod tool..?

Hi All,

New forum user here. I have a 2002 XR200R. I'm attempting to replace fork seals. The dreaded "spinning bolt" is happening. The bolt on the bottom of the forks spins and I don't have the factory damper rod holding tool. On other brands of bikes.. I have successfully stopped the damper rod from spinning by sticking a broom handle down into the tube and pressing it against the top of the damper rod.  That is not working on this bike.
Here is what I've done/haven't done, so you won't waste your time asking/suggesting things I may have done already:

Used electric impact tool to rapidly spin the bolt with the spring and cap installed. (it loosened, but won't come out; likely has Loctite on the threads)

Tried putting the tube back in the triple clamp, pulling down on the slider while using the impact to spin the bolt. No go.
As I said, I jammed a wood broom handle down inside the tube and kept pressure on it while spinning the bolt with electric impact. No go.

Google searching for the proper damper rod holding tool, reveals that it is likely discontinued. It may have been manufactured by Motion Pro at one time, but is not now...??

Thanks.

My technique that I use, is remove fork cap, (make sure fork springs are in) put multiple layers of cardboard underneath flip the forks upside down,

wear thick gloves and put pressure on forks whilst buzzing out bolt , works every time for me. I am at least 20-0 using this method, either cartridge, or

damper rod forks. Pressure is the key, not to mention the thick gloves. Be prepared for it to fight you, but you'll win. 

Michael 

Edited by KTM520EXC

I just rebuilt some 1985 xr250r forks I'm putting on an 81 xr200r. I took a fork tube with the damper rod still installed to the local hardware store and started dropping nuts down in the tube till I found one that fit the piston end. Picked up 4 nuts and some all thread. Installed 2 nuts on each end and locked them together. Worked perfectly to hold the damper rod to uninstall.

• Like 1

I also use the "compress the fork against the spring and use an electric impact gun" and it usually works. The idea in the previous posts is what I've done to make damper rod holding tools for other forks.

Thanks everyone!  I ended up making a damper rod holding tool and it is fantastic!! Even works great for reassembly, so you can tighten up the bottom bolt with feeling, instead of jamming it home with an impact.

Pic of "socket looking thing" is the top of the damper rod.  I welded a metric nut 22mm across to a piece of 1/2" allthread and double nutted the top so it can be held with a wrench. 

Fork 1.jpg

Fork 2.jpg

Fork 3.jpg

Fork 4.jpg

Fork 5.jpg

Really cool solution...
I've done all of the above.
Years ago I made a tool like yours.
Now I have an air compressor and an impact gun. Works every time.