250X Moto

So who uses their 250x for Moto? I've been using mine quite a bit but I'm finding issues that are bugging me about it. Mainly I find the 3rd gear is really too low and you tap out fast but 4th is so tall it's really not useful. Sure I would drop the rear sprocket 1 tooth but these already suffer in the torque department and I use this for off road quite a bit as well.

Am I alone in my thinking here or is this bike just not really very ideal for multi terrain use? My previous bike was a '13 KTM 450 XC with a Rekluse and it did everything really well but I really wanted another 2t just fear I maybe went the wrong way? 

For those using this for both track and trail how are you setup? 

I use mine for harescrambles, gp's and moto, I agree the gap is way to big between 3rd & 4th especially for moto. I run a 51 tooth rear and abuse the clutch mercilessly, I'd run a 52 if I thought it would fit with the chain guide. Whenever I split the cases I will install yz 4th & 5th gears, unless your doing enduro's or turkey runs with long road sections I see no use for the w/r trans. I also run a Hinson clutch with hd springs to take the abuse, the stock one didn't outlast the shroud stickers.

Any mods on either of your bikes? I'm especially curious as to whether the pv mod gives enough of a "hit" to carry the power better from 3rd to 4th.

Yes I have the RB head mod, PV mod and the STIC metering rod. 4th is just way out there.. It can be used if the terrain is packed but in loamy stuff no way, or I guess on longer straights you could use it. 4th really just does not work well for most tracks I'm sure but for off-road trail use the gearing IMO works really well...

Yes I have the RB head mod, PV mod and the STIC metering rod. 4th is just way out there.. It can be used if the terrain is packed but in loamy stuff no way, or I guess on longer straights you could use it. 4th really just does not work well for most tracks I'm sure but for off-road trail use the gearing IMO works really well...

Damn, just started riding my X at the tracks and I've been feeling uneasy about 4th myself. No mods yet, but I have parts on the shelf ready to be installed and now I'm thinking I should just tear the whole thing down and swap 4th and 5th for the YZ gears. I like where 3rd sits though, so that can stay as is for me.

I think if 3rd were just taller it would be fantastic.....

I think if 3rd were just taller it would be fantastic.....

Hmmmm good point.

Edit: Going to YZ 3rd and a 51 tooth rear sprocket might be the ticket. Would separate 2nd and 3rd nicely and make 4th easy to get to.

People complain about the gap being to big between 2nd and 3rd being to big on the standard yz trans. I find if you ride it like a 125 and keep it up high in the revs while shifting it's not a huge issue, definitely won't lug 4th in the soft stuff. 

Yeah after going back and forth a bit in my mind about it, I'm swapping out 4th and 5th. Mainly because I don't need to go 87mph on a track, ever... so getting 4th and 5th closer makes more sense to me.

Even better is I called up a family friend who is a retired mechanic and former head mechanic at a local shop here... Told me drop off the bottom end and parts and he'll do it for maximum $200. I'm ok with that. Lol... I just don't want to buy all the tools right now and dive into the cases when I know he will do it perfect and stand behind it.

That would certainly help however you're going to have to do a lot more shifting than you would if 3rd was just stretched out more.. You're going to be 2,3,4 for track use and always searching for the right gear. Getting a taller 3rd would make it a 2,3 gear bike which is much more like 4ts behavior, either way it will be better. 

You can't use a YZ 3rd with a YZ-X 4th/5th, unfortunately.  The 3rd, 4th and 5th out of the YZ250x and the YZ250 only fit together as a set.  I think it's the X that has a 4-dog pattern to engage against it's 3rd gear, whereas the YZ has a 3-dog pattern (pic attached).  

YZ vs YZx 4th gear.JPG

Edited by Kyle22rte

You can't use a YZ 3rd with a YZ-X 4th/5th, unfortunately.  The 3rd, 4th and 5th out of the YZ250x and the YZ250 only fit together as a set.  I think it's the X that has a 4-dog pattern to engage against it's 3rd gear, whereas the YZ has a 3-dog pattern (pic attached).  

5935d7f684d73_YZvsYZx4thgear.JPG.749cbd274beb5ec3f130004ba2d9ab4f.JPG

In that case I might as well convert it all over, then sell the used X set and recover a good chunk of money.

In hindsight I could have just bought a YZ250 18 months ago... Never thought I'd be riding tracks again. But here I am, and I'll just enjoy the mods I'm doing.

Edit: also thank you for the heads up!

I think you'll be glad to have that X motor and suspension with a YZ transmission. You will probably make a profit on the swap!