Just bought a '17 KTM 350 XC-F for desert racing! PICS!

As the title says...I bought bike #2 yesterday (I also own a '17 KTM 450 SXF for Moto that is decked out).

I have been a Moto guy my whole life and I'm just bored of the same 'ol, same 'ol at the track.  I've always wanted a 350, and this was my excuse/ chance at trying it.  I want to learn something different, and race something different.  There is no way in this world that I would take my track princess to the desert, so the XC-F made sense (although I plan on also moto'ng it with the GP suspension set-up).

I've got about 3-4k worth of parts coming for the bike (of course the typical guards, coolers, FMF system, etc).  I'll post some after pics on Saturday when I get the bike back.  I'm going to bring it to the track on Saturday and do my own little shoutout with the 350/ 450 bikes.

18814124_10210774380374575_6351883191657604536_n.jpg

IMG_4729.JPG

• Like 5

4 hours ago, DRS said:

curious to see how $4000 can improve an already very capable desert bike, other than just cosmetically. 

Please, this is no place to be practical!

Who do you know/where have you seen $4k spent on a 2017 350xcf?

This is not about cutting lap times, bud. It's about a guy getting comfortable with his ride, or making it nice, or nicer than his friends, or re-living his dream-days when he couldn't afford the nice things on the bikes of Stanton/McGrath/Reed/RC. And for me, it's about watching someone flit away a few extra green backs, post some pictures of shiny parts on the internet and then standing back and saying WOW or OOOOH! To be honest, that's exacatly what I thought of his #97 450SXF!

Now keep your practical nonsense and move along! We already know that the 350XCF is way more bike than any of us could make use of!

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Swappa said:

Please, this is no place to be practical!

Who do you know/where have you seen $4k spent on a 2017 350xcf?

This is not about cutting lap times, bud. It's about a guy getting comfortable with his ride, or making it nice, or nicer than his friends, or re-living his dream-days when he couldn't afford the nice things on the bikes of Stanton/McGrath/Reed/RC. And for me, it's about watching someone flit away a few extra green backs, post some pictures of shiny parts on the internet and then standing back and saying WOW or OOOOH! To be honest, that's exacatly what I thought of his #97 450SXF!

Now keep your practical nonsense and move along! We already know that the 350XCF is way more bike than any of us could make use of!

you forget to take your xanax today? what's your problem?  i said i was curious..  so lighten up francis.

7 hours ago, DRS said:

curious to see how $4000 can improve an already very capable desert bike, other than just cosmetically. 

Well as Swappa says, I'm making the bike bullet proof with some upgrades.  I'll let you google the prices if your interested in the tally up.

FMF ti/ carbon slip on

GP suspension set up by EVO

Raptor Ti-peg

GPR pro stabilizer kit with triple clamp set up

Flexx bars

Flo radiator braces

ARC levers

Trail tech fan

Evans coolant

TM designs chain guard/ rail

Rear fin for rear brake

SXS Enduro plate

Twin air power flow kit

BDS fuel line, with TPS re adjustment

X20 front tire.

Neutech bibs front & Rear

Grapchic kit

KTM factory blue seat as seen on my Moto bike.

Rekluse auto clutch (New generation that just came out)- This will be a month out.

Of course a little labor to install all the above mentioned as its at a shop.

I probably missed a few things, but I think you get the idea.  I don't want to damage the bike too badly in a wreck, and I'm very picky about my parts and set-up as you can see from my track bike.  This 350 will be raced in the desert, but also Moto'd (dual purpose).  The bike is set up ok in stock condition, but with some mod's can be great.

Edited by motoxjeff

Swappa, your post was dead on for me.  All my bike stuff now is just reliving the "dream days" when I was a kid/ early 20s and couldn't afford $#@t.   Why work so hard through life and not enjoy it....

So I just had my first ride today at the Moto track.  This is my initial impressions after 1 hr of ride time moto'ng.  Some of my parts are still not installed on my bike (FMF slip on, fuel rail w/ TPS adjustment, etc).

Suspension-  Cant say enough good things about the fork, the AER forks just work.  The rear was WAY too soft and requires some fine tuning, no big deal.  This is what happens when you run GP suspension to try and make it workable at the track and in the desert...gonna suffer somewhere. 

Engine-  Lots of flame outs, and hard to start.  The fuel rail and TPS adjustment is coming next week with the FMF slip on.  The engine simply does not compare to a 450.  The low end is smooth, and the mid/ top is fantastic.  You REALLY have to keep the RPM's up to get some ponies out of the engine.  I think once I get some of my mods installed it will work fantastic.  I will also be running T4 in my engine.

Engine FAN-  Glad I have it, but it was constantly running.  I had it set to 185 degrees and it was running a lot (Welcome to summer in AZ).  It was draining my battery.  I'm thinking about switching to a bigger/ better battery this week.  The stock one seems like it doesn't fire up the bike well enough, and with the fan draining the battery...I think I need a bigger/ better one.  I already have the EVANS coolant installed in the bike as well.

Handling- Much better than the 450 IMO.  Even though the bike weighs 2lbs less than a stock 450, the engine inertia just makes this bike light and flickable.  Getting into deep ruts at the track was an ease (I also have the GPR prop stabilizer installed).  I really feel like I'm better at cornering this bike than my 450 (already).  Jump for show, corner for the doe...

Changing the oil-  What a PAIN IN THE A$$!  The magnet bolt is against the frame and I can't get my torque wrench in there because the space is too small...Does anyone have a magical fairy trick or suggestion with that?

SXS Skid plate w/ linkage coverage (Install)-  Are you F'ng kidding me!  I like the design/ concept, but to install it you need 3 people.  I was so mad trying to put it back on, that I just gave up.  I'm getting a normal skid plate, with a Fastco linkage protector.

-Tomorrow I will be doing some lap times at the track and will compare the 350 to 450, back to back.  Even though I'm building the 350 XCF for desert racing, I feel like I can be just as fast on it (at the Moto track) due to the cornering abilities.  Or at least ...thats what I want to believe as of right now... ?  

IMG_4765.JPG

IMG_4764.JPG

18951045_10210826456436444_4741653922055744646_n.jpg

Edited by motoxjeff
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, motoxjeff said:

So I just had my first ride today at the Moto track.  This is my initial impressions after 1 hr of ride time moto'ng.  Some of my parts are still not installed on my bike (FMF slip on, fuel rail w/ TPS adjustment, etc).

Suspension-  Cant say enough good things about the fork, the AER forks just work.  The rear was WAY too soft and requires some fine tuning, no big deal.  This is what happens when you run GP suspension to try and make it workable at the track and in the desert...gonna suffer somewhere. 

Engine-  Lots of flame outs, and hard to start.  The fuel rail and TPS adjustment is coming next week with the FMF slip on.  The engine simply does not compare to a 450.  The low end is smooth, and the mid/ top is fantastic.  You REALLY have to keep the RPM's up to get some ponies out of the engine.  I think once I get some of my mods installed it will work fantastic.  I will also be running T4 in my engine.

Engine FAN-  Glad I have it, but it was constantly running.  I had it set to 185 degrees and it was running a lot (Welcome to summer in AZ).  It was draining my battery.  I'm thinking about switching to a bigger/ better battery this week.  The stock one seems like it doesn't fire up the bike well enough, and with the fan draining the battery...I think I need a bigger/ better one.  I already have the EVANS coolant installed in the bike as well.

Handling- Much better than the 450 IMO.  Even though the bike weighs 2lbs less than a stock 450, the engine inertia just makes this bike light and flickable.  Getting into deep ruts at the track was an ease (I also have the GPR prop stabilizer installed).  I really feel like I'm better at cornering this bike than my 450 (already).  Jump for show, corner for the doe...

Changing the oil-  What a PAIN IN THE A$$!  The magnet bolt is against the frame and I can't get my torque wrench in there because the space is too small...Does anyone have a magical fairy trick or suggestion with that?

SXS Skid plate w/ linkage coverage (Install)-  Are you F'ng kidding me!  I like the design/ concept, but to install it you need 3 people.  I was so mad trying to put it back on, that I just gave up.  I'm getting a normal skid plate, with a Fastco linkage protector.

-Tomorrow I will be doing some lap times at the track and will compare the 350 to 450, back to back.  Even though I'm building the 350 XCF for desert racing, I feel like I can be just as fast on it (at the Moto track) due to the cornering abilities.  Or at least ...thats what I want to believe as of right now... ?  

IMG_4765.JPG

IMG_4764.JPG

18951045_10210826456436444_4741653922055744646_n.jpg

Put the black throttle cam in and change the front sprocket down to a 13t...it's literally a night and day difference in power delivery... The slip-on doesn't make all too much difference but it does knock a few pounds off. When using the TPS tool, if it's dry I just leave it on and make adjustments. You'll have to remove the motor mount, loosen the clamps and turn it counterclockwise but it's quite simple. I made it slightly more difficult due to me running the larger IMS tank.. I have two different batteries, both Antigravity. One is the size of a sandwich (Antigravity XPS) and has 180cca and 6ah of storage and the other (AG-801) has 240cca and 9ah of storage. I think the bigger of the two is better but I'm currently running the smaller one... 

On 6/16/2017 at 10:24 PM, drtywhat said:

Shit that's yours. I am local as well. Got me a 2017 Husqvarna fx350. AEO doing your build I see.

Yes Jeremy and AEO have done all of my stuff, they always do a fantastic job and have the best prices.  I wouldn't use anyone else.  I highly recommend them!

I would have gotten a FX350 from Jeremy but he was already out of stock on those.  Maybe next year.  I'll see how I like the 350 for racing in the desert (sand whoops, wide open roads, tight single track, etc).

I'm out here in Scottsdale and run AMRA. It is THE BEST series around.. I grew up racing track in socal, moved to racing desert and ran NHHA. Came out here to ASU to catch my business degree in 3 years and decided to get job and stay. I love it out here and that series is a reason I stayed. 

• Like 2

On 6/21/2017 at 4:23 PM, JakeTheGreat said:

I'm out here in Scottsdale and run AMRA. It is THE BEST series around.. I grew up racing track in socal, moved to racing desert and ran NHHA. Came out here to ASU to catch my business degree in 3 years and decided to get job and stay. I love it out here and that series is a reason I stayed. 

Nice Jake!  I look forward to seeing you out there.  I will be running 30/B class, if you see me say hi.  It's my first season, so I'm not expecting much out of myself.  I just want to get out there and do something different (than the track) and have some fun!

On 6/21/2017 at 4:24 PM, JakeTheGreat said:

I run A Open on a ktm 300, hoping to pick up a 17 350 or 450 soon, can't decide between the two. 

Man, I have had that problem for the last 4 years.  I've gone back and forth between getting a 350 and a 450 at least a million times in my head every year when It comes time to get a new bike.  I will tell you straight up that the 350 does not have the bottom a 450 does, however the mid and upper is killer on the 350.  The 350 also feels like a 250F, and IMO corners A LOT better and is more nimble.  So far I'm enjoying the 350...you just gotta give it a go and truly see for yourself!  I can't wait to get it in some tight single track where it will really shine (BTW I got the new Rekluse CX installed in it, I'll let you know how that goes).