Sign in to follow this  

10W-40 or 20W-50?

I have semi-synthetic 10W-40 in my 2001 DRZ400s. I was reading other topics, and it seems that most people are using 20W-50. I live in Southern California so the weather on an average day ranges between 70-80 degrees F. What do you guys recommend? If I decide to switch to 20W-50, will it hurt my bike since I've always used 10W-40? Also, what brand of oil do you all recommend?

Desert heat / hard riding 20/50, semi hooligan or commuting 10/40.  It's only 2 qts, change oil / filter often.

my opinion is the engine relies on proper viscosity oil to cool properly ... thick goopy oil doesnt splash properly, then oops there goes your stator, you get hot spots here and ther and things go out of tolerance and things like that .. it does kindof go against intuitive logic that thicker oil protects better, not true though unless the motor is designed for it ..

I'll second Craigo's suggestion. Just make sure it always has the correct amount of oil and change at reasonable intervals. I use 20w-50, which is a 20 weight oil with modifiers to equivalent film strength of a 50 weight. But I always warm the engine slowly and thoroughly before laying the boots to her.

• Like 4

It is okay to use either. Just important you change oil regularly

How often do you recommend I change my oil??

1 hour ago, Allyyyson25 said:

How often do you recommend I change my oil??

People who do really hard high rev sand riding will change it as much as after one weekend. For street riding I know a lot of people who will do 1000-1500miles max. I never push mine past 1200km lol because I really don't ride far so it isn't expensive, and with my mods etc. 

Edited by Atolduso

Desert heat / hard riding 20/50, semi hooligan or commuting 10/40.  It's only 2 qts, change oil / filter often.

Will it hurt my bike if I've been using 10-40 for years and all of a sudden I just switch to 20-50?

1 hour ago, Allyyyson25 said:

Will it hurt my bike if I've been using 10-40 for years and all of a sudden I just switch to 20-50?

No. If for some reason your climate doesn't allow you to run 20w50, then running 20w50 is a bad idea. I also live in CA and use 20w50. This principle is the same with any type of oil.

• Like 1