Summer Jetting With Suzuki Needle

I know there are some threads around the Suzuki needle. If you go through them, they seem to be in winter or spring. Now that we are in summer what are you running?

I live at 4500. I'm running the following:

NECJ 2nd clip
Pilot:42
Main jet: 168
AS: 1.25

No other mods. 2017 250X

These seem good to me, but I've seen a few post where sea level is running 168 jetting. I'm considering going to a 165.

i think what you got above would work with the 165 main

RMK what fuel/oil ratio are you running? I think if you're at 32:1 then you'd be safe with a 165 but I not jetting afficionado so don't quote me.. I to am in Utah and same elevation pretty much and I run a little richer but have the STIC metering rod so I have to run richer.

178 / 48 AS=1 turn out think I'm going to lean it out though before next ride. Going to drop to a 175 / 45 and see how that plays out, should be good as it's also getting warmer..

RMK what fuel/oil ratio are you running? I think if you're at 32:1 then you'd be safe with a 165 but I not jetting afficionado so don't quote me.. I to am in Utah and same elevation pretty much and I run a little richer but have the STIC metering rod so I have to run richer.
178 / 48 AS=1 turn out think I'm going to lean it out though before next ride. Going to drop to a 175 / 45 and see how that plays out, should be good as it's also getting warmer..

I've been running Amsoil Interceptor at 50:1. I run this in my snowmobile's, always been good to me. The bike runs good, I just remember dropping from a 170 to a 168 and it was a noticeable difference.

17 hours ago, RMK800 said:

I know there are some threads around the Suzuki needle. If you go through them, they seem to be in winter or spring. Now that we are in summer what are you running?

I live at 4500. I'm running the following:

NECJ 2nd clip
Pilot:42
Main jet: 168
AS: 1.25

No other mods. 2017 250X

These seem good to me, but I've seen a few post where sea level is running 168 jetting. I'm considering going to a 165.

Zuke needle Top clip

pilot 42

main 165

I'm considering a 40 pilot. 

2017 250x 

no other mods. 

Motul synthetic. 40:1

Edited by Charles De Mar
  • Like 2

(2008 YZ250)

I'm at about 4,000' also, dry and getting hot (typically 80-90 F when I go out). I tried a 162 and it seemed a bit lean, at any rate it was not an improvement over the 165 so I went back to that. So currently:

165M
38 Pilot
NEDK #1
#7 slide
45 Power Jet

Maxima 927 @ 32:1 w/ 91 pump gas

If anything I'm rich on the pilot, but haven't tried a 35 yet. Beyond that I'm pretty sold on the rest of my settings.

Hope this helps.

edit:  And 1.75 on the air screw.

Edited by Hick

^^ interesting how both of you are at the top clip. I feel like the mid isn't bad but just average. I'm running 50:1 so I'm going to be a a little richer then you guys. I'm going to try clip 1 and 165.

• Like 1

Have any of yall tried those thumbscrew equipped air screw needles? The kind that dobt require  a screwdriver.

i have nedj #2 in if i remember correctly, 300' elevation, low 90s.

5 hours ago, RMK800 said:

^^ interesting how both of you are at the top clip. I feel like the mid isn't bad but just average. I'm running 50:1 so I'm going to be a a little richer then you guys. I'm going to try clip 1 and 165.

but they are actually 1/2 clip apart

NECx needle top clip is clip 1

NEDx needle top clip is clip 1.5

i would run the NEDx needle which would be 1/2 clip leaner the what you have now

• Like 1

^ I tried NECK #1 first, def. too rich. I would try another 1/2 clip leaner but that is as lean as the factory Suzuki parts go (on clip position, anyway), but I'm real close to optimal I think.

14 minutes ago, Hick said:

^ I tried NECK #1 first, def. too rich. I would try another 1/2 clip leaner but that is as lean as the factory Suzuki parts go (on clip position, anyway), but I'm real close to optimal I think.

NECK#1 would be 1/2 clip leaner than your current NEDK #1

• Like 1

^ I've got that backwards then. (I should write this down...)

So currently then I'm NECK #1, the leanest clip of the three needles I have. Thanks to Dconer and sorry for my confusion.

6 hours ago, Hick said:

^ I've got that backwards then. (I should write this down...)

So currently then I'm NECK #1, the leanest clip of the three needles I have. Thanks to Dconer and sorry for my confusion.

wow , that is a really lean setting

what is you elevation ?

3 minutes ago, kxrob said:

what is you elevation ?

I was thinking the same thing. The 38 pilot is what jumped out at me

Have any of yall tried those thumbscrew equipped air screw needles? The kind that dobt require  a screwdriver.

i have nedj #2 in if i remember correctly, 300' elevation, low 90s.

I installed the finger adjust air and idle screw from slavens racing about a month ago and so far so good.i like being able to adjust on the fly easily. 300ft,70s,nedj2,48p,170m,as 1.75.crispy good.

what is you elevation ?

4,000"

I have a 35 pilot I want to try. Def not too lean there, and going 1/2 clip richer was obviously the wrong direction even this past winter. As I mentioned upthread I'd like to go leaner on clip pos but the RM needles stop there.

Quick question, as I am puzzled....   2016 YZ250x.

Ride elevation usually 3000-5000.  40:1 mix

Went to an NECJ about a month ago, 178 main, 48 pilot, 3rd clip.  AS 1.5 out.  Fresh plug in, mocha colour, no spooge.   If anything on the cooler mornings a month ago, like 8 degrees C/ 48 F, it was acting lean.  Now, as the weather is heating up, it's runny strong, no spooge, no rich symptoms.

So, to the question.....these needles are supposed to let a guy drop 2 on the main, up to 4 on a pilot, but my bike is running very clean and snappy with a lot bigger brass than what I am seeing posted here.......is this strange? Any ideas? 

21 minutes ago, CampX said:

Quick question, as I am puzzled....   2016 YZ250x.

Ride elevation usually 3000-5000.  40:1 mix

Went to an NECJ about a month ago, 178 main, 48 pilot, 3rd clip.  AS 1.5 out.  Fresh plug in, mocha colour, no spooge.   If anything on the cooler mornings a month ago, like 8 degrees C/ 48 F, it was acting lean.  Now, as the weather is heating up, it's runny strong, no spooge, no rich symptoms.

So, to the question.....these needles are supposed to let a guy drop 2 on the main, up to 4 on a pilot, but my bike is running very clean and snappy with a lot bigger brass than what I am seeing posted here.......is this strange? Any ideas? 

you only change the pilot if you run out of air screw range 

the main sounds very rich and if it is it will hurt top end power

when you say fresh plug in and mocha color ,  was that just to test the main ? or is that how you gauged the overall running of the bike ?

Ya, fresh plug in was to test the main.  I've looked at a lot of jetting in all the forums, for the Zook  needles specifically,  and the altitude I ride, just seems to be real big on the main.  Bike doesn't act rich though.  I'll be playing more as the summer cranks up the heat.