who wants to convert the XR400 to electric start?

Would you be interested in adding electric start to your bike if you did not have to split the cases and use the 4-wheeler crank?

There used to be a guy who made a crank adapter that screwed on to the end of the crankshaft so you could convert your XR400 to electric start by just adding the starter and a few other things off of the Honda 4-wheeler with the 400 engine.  He sold that adapter for like $500-$600.   I have tried to locate him several times to see about getting another one of these adapters for another bike and it seems he is long gone out of business.

Now I am thinking about taking the one off the bike I have and getting it copied.  In fact, if there were enough people interested, I think I could source these from china where I get machined parts that I sell where I work.  Depending on the qty, I think the cost would be several hundred dollars less expensive for that part.  You would still have to source the starter and those other things but the single biggest cost when I did it was that crank adapter.

• Like 1

I would be interested, depending on the total cost though.

• Like 1

I think some people would be interested in getting an XR400 if electric start were available.. great suspension, super reliable, good fuel range..

Some riders who have moved on to other bikes with e-start might even go back to an xr400.

• Like 1

Could we all pay and get a CAD dwg for us to have our own machinists make it? Just a thought.

• Like 1

Also interested,have bought all items to convert,400 ex lower end,wiring etc. Havent talked myself into splitting 2 sets of cases,as the xr has no issues.

• Like 1

I have attached a couple pages showing the parts you will need (along with the crank adapter) to complete this upgrade.  There is old info on TT about doing this so you can do some searches to find some more specific information.

XR400 estart (13).jpg

XR400 estart (13) (2).jpg

3 hours ago, johnmere said:

Could we all pay and get a CAD dwg for us to have our own machinists make it? Just a thought.

+1.  I work at a custom machine shop, so making it myself would be advantageous.

That being said, I feel like I remember reading threads where fairly knowledgeable people recommended against the crank adapter.  I forget the exact reasons, but it was something along the lines of long-term reliability / durability.  I'd like to see actual pictures of it / drawings to make that determination myself.

For me, I'll still probably go the route of splitting the cases and using a 400EX crank.  I want the steeper 1st and 2nd gears of the quad to help widen out the gear ratios, so that I can keep a fairly steep 1st and 2nd for tight trail riding, but have a decent 4th and 5th for short springs on the road.

In my honest opinion, which isn't worth very much, a widened-gear-ratio E-start XR400 would be one of, if not THE, most versatile dirt bikes ever made.  Will it be the fastest, or best handling, or best suspended?  Absolutely not.  But take into account durability, reliability, simplicity, maintenance intervals, cost, etc (in other words, the WHOLE picture), and I can't think of much better.  

The only significant downfall is the weight.  With E-start, I'd suspect it's nearing 280 fully ready to ride, which isn't terrible just dual-sporting or general trail riding, but definitely becomes noticeable when doing tight, nasty singletrack.  Not much you can do about that, though.

Maybe a little weight reduction for me and my fat behind....:blink:

The durability issue has come up a few times with the crank adapter.  I just know that mine has been on there since 2004 and I bought it used from a guy that sold his XR400 and took it all off before he sold it.

• Like 3

Scott,   I have a crankshaft adapter sitting on my desk.......waiting for me to get to it.  You are welcome to borrow it for dimensions.....?

Tom

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, thosforce said:

Scott,   I have a crankshaft adapter sitting on my desk.......waiting for me to get to it.  You are welcome to borrow it for dimensions.....?

Tom

Yes, definitely.  That would sure help.  With a part, I should be able to get my engineer son to make up some drawings for me.  I will contact you by PM with more info.

On 6/24/2017 at 10:57 PM, scott_01_xr400 said:

Yes, definitely.  That would sure help.  With a part, I should be able to get my engineer son to make up some drawings for me.  I will contact you by PM with more info.

If you have any issues, let me know.  I work at a shop with CMMs, vision machines, all sorts of high precision toys to measure things.  In other words, measuring things is what we do, and I'd be happy to help.

What would keep this from working on a xr250 ? Or is there any E start options for a 250 engine?

In South American country's and Japan.They have Estart Xr250s I just saw one from Chile other day. Costly buy one rob parts convert yours. I do know a Gal traveling in Calif as Im posting. She is from AU  will sell it when she returns to AU. Its called a Tornado I believe. 

• Like 2

I just finished a project of putting a 400ex motor in an xr400 frame and so far it is wicked fun. 1&2nd are great for tight trail riding(basically all there is around me anyway) and beyond that it is great for anything else. You did mention weight....well it isn't exactly the lightest bike but it sure is fun and that is really all that matters to me anyway. Overall, the best part about having the e start is pretending to kick the bike but just pressing the button while all your buddies have to kick their bikes over multiple times....plus it takes the work out of the start up procedure.

• Like 1

So, how much does a whole EX 400 motor cost nowadays?

$1000?

and also get the whole wiring setup too?

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, scott_01_xr400 said:

PM returned to you just now.